Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

vista question

• 06-12-2006 11:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭

I want to get the vista home premium edition when it is out and i saw a few ebay sellers selling xp home with upgrade voucher to vista basic or premium.

"
    We have been supplying these new style OEM packs since their introduction in August 2006. See our Feedback. Microsoft have now included in the packs a voucher to upgrade to Vista. The Vista upgrade voucher is intended for System Builders to supply with a new PC System, as a Microsoft promotion. Therefore if you are buying this OEM pack for the Genuine operating system only for your PC, then you may not be able to use the voucher. You may be able to claim this by visiting http://upgradeweb.moduslink.com/vista

With Upgrade Serialized Voucher
    to VISTA Home Basic or Home Premium Edition
    when released by Microsoft
    Release date planned for January 2007"

I checked out the upgrade site and it says you need:

Windows Vista™ Order Instructions and Product Information

Program Order Instruction Overview

We suggest that you have the items listed below readily available to place your website order:

o Please check with your Computer vendor for eligibility and redemption dates
    o Please have your date of purchase
    o Please have your Certificate of Authenticity (COA) number (14 digits) readily available.
    o Please provide your Computer vendors Windows Vista Capable PC Model and Model number
    o Please have your PC serial number readily available

Anyways it works out at 60 something euros for vista home premium off msoft plus the 100 or so to buy the oem xp home. So its not very cheap anyways. But would it still be the cheapest way to get it? And does anyone know how much the home premium is going to retail at here?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

They're OEM editions, which basically means that they are restricted to being sold with hardware (normally a motherboard) and the licence dies when the hardware dies -- you can't legally transfer it to another machine.
    ebay wrote:
    The Vista upgrade voucher is intended for System Builders to supply with a new PC System

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭lodgepole

Stephen wrote:
    They're OEM editions, which basically means that they are restricted to being sold with hardware (normally a motherboard) and the licence dies when the hardware dies -- you can't legally transfer it to another machine.
    So if i'm upgrading my system post Vista, and I buy an upgrade using my OEM copy of XP, it won't work on the new equipment?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

legally speaking, that'd be against the licence agreement of an OEM edition, but as to whether it'd actually work ... I dunno. It probably would but you might have problems when it comes to activating it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭lodgepole

Stephen wrote:
    legally speaking, that'd be against the licence agreement of an OEM edition, but as to whether it'd actually work ... I dunno. It probably would but you might have problems when it comes to activating it.
    I wonder if Microsoft will have somewhere on their site where you can put in the serial number to check... That would be handy...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

so could you buy an oem version of windows mce ( with upgrade to vista ), swap the harddrive on a dell pc for a new one and give it to a family member?

"If the individual software license is a desktop operating system (including Windows XP Media Center Edition), we grant you a nonexclusive right to distribute individual software licenses; provided that each one is distributed with either (a) a fully assembled computer system or (b) a nonperipheral computer hardware component.

A “fully assembled computer system” means a computer system consisting of at least a central processing unit, a motherboard, a hard drive, a power supply, and a case.
    A “nonperipheral computer hardware component” means a component that will be an integral part of the fully assembled computer system on which the individual software license will be installed."

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

so could you buy an oem version of windows mce ( with upgrade to vista ), swap the harddrive on a dell pc for a new one and give it to a family member?

"If the individual software license is a desktop operating system (including Windows XP Media Center Edition), we grant you a nonexclusive right to distribute individual software licenses; provided that each one is distributed with either (a) a fully assembled computer system or (b) a nonperipheral computer hardware component.

A “fully assembled computer system” means a computer system consisting of at least a central processing unit, a motherboard, a hard drive, a power supply, and a case.
    A “nonperipheral computer hardware component” means a component that will be an integral part of the fully assembled computer system on which the individual software license will be installed."
    why can't microsoft use english ??

According to that definition you can keep the case and replace the electronics :rolleyes:

But the definition applies to the reseller - so I don't think you could move the HDD since the OS is already bound to the PC. Can't find a link but IIRC the OEM has to preinstall the OS ?? And yes if you upgrade an OEM license, then the upgrade license gets "downgraded" to OEM, so you can't ever move it to a different machine.

Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium 32-Bit Edition DVD - OEM

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=SW-036-MS

hopefully something like this works on a dell pc without any hassle as the upgrades look a bit dodgy.

anyone get vista oem then for a dell pc or know of anyone who has? ;)

the retail home premium version costs 320 euros before shipping on overclockers! the upgrade version is 214 and the oem is about 110. Some big differences there. Looking at the overclockers forum, if you have oem xp and you upgrade to vista, you lose your xp licence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium 32-Bit Edition DVD - OEM

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=SW-036-MS

hopefully something like this works on a dell pc without any hassle as the upgrades look a bit dodgy.

i'm posting from the vista ulimate 64bit oem version right now.

there was no problems loading on to my machine (not a dell though).

there's a huge thread on the new licensing terms of vista on overclockers forums here's the link

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=17672576

it's a long read but it clears up everything regarding OEM versions of vista.

Advertisement