Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Sent Fixed Penalty notice( Speeding) in error!

Options
  • 07-12-2006 12:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭

Opened up the letterbox yesterday and found an official looking envelope. Opened it up and out drops a Fixed Penalty Notice for speeding 94kph in an 80 Zone on the N4 at Lucan at 1.00am on Nov 20th.

I don't even know how to get to Lucan!!

Rang the contact number and explained to the girl on the other end that neither myself nor anyone else was driving my car in Lucan on that date and that I wouldn't even know how to get to Lucan without looking it up and I certainly didn't recall looking it up!

Her responses were kind of along the lines of, "Yeah, whatever, everyone says that" "Is your car a 04 A3?", "Yes", "well there you go".

My response was that obviously they knew what car was associated with the reg since they had to look it up to find out where to send the Speeding ticket to! My plate could have been cloned. "Look" she said, "The camera got the reg of an A3, its your reg, you have an A3, QED" (She didn't say QED, I'm embellishing :D )

I hadn't the patience to argue anymore with her and demanded to speak to someone higher up. After some humming and Haaaing she transferred me.

"Look", I said, "A cut and paste of just the reg is on the letter I recieved. Can you acccess the full picture of the whole car, cause if its a black A3 then my plate has been cloned to another A3 cause I have never been in Lucan in my life. I have a feeling though that the full pic will show a totally different make of car and its the Reg that has been misread, Oh and btw the second W in the Reg on this letter could be a H."

"Ya could be right, Hold on a sec........So sorry, in the full pic I can see that the car is a Toyota Yaris and the Reg is WH not WW."

Thank F%%% I don't regularily drive in Lucan or I may have just paid the fine!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭overdriver

Gob****es.
    Well done , you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

very good. thank god they listened to you as usually they are not bothered.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,729 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Isn't it just as well you didn't listen to those on here who believe that contesting speeding claims is wrong?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Car Mad

kbannon wrote:
    Isn't it just as well you didn't listen to those on here who believe that contesting speeding claims is wrong?

well it is if you auctually do the offence:D fair play to ya;) wouldnt like to be the fella in the yaris next week tho:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭endplate

Look you done the crime now pay the fine and accept the points:D . Sorry couldn't resist only joking.

Well done op on sticking to your guns. I can understand where that girl was coming from telling you she heard that before presume she gets it everyday many times.

Looks like the speeding company need to upgrade their numberplate recognision software

I got the little picture in the post recently there was no point contesting it I could make out the shape of my bumper in the pic:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

kbannon wrote:

Difference is, the majority on here who contest their fines actually we're speading or were at least in the area where the offence allegidly took place. Not like in this case, a blatent case of mistaken identity, the OP is never even in and around Lucan! (this would immediately set off the alarm bells).

Each and every single person who receives a notice should check it out firstly - similar to when you receive your credit card bill and the like...

Good work Calibos :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

Well done !

Now have you got any way to confirm this situation in writing? What will you do if you get a Court Summns ??

I often wondered why the only send you a snippet of a picture, I means its almost ONLY a picture of your rear number plate, hardly any of the car in the photo at all !

I reckon its done deliberately so a bunch of fools pay up without contesting it !

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

A more sinsiter potential issue is cloning. Somebody else with a same colour 04 A3 simply puts a false plate on their car.

It happens, regularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,990 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Not saying you're wrong, but you don't actually have to be going to Lucan to be on that section of road. The "Lucan" part of the N4 is the part just after the M50 which you'd take if you were going to Maynooth, Galway, Sligo or thereabouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

Stark wrote:
    Not saying you're wrong, but you don't actually have to be going to Lucan to be on that section of road. The "Lucan" part of the N4 is the part just after the M50 which you'd take if you were going to Maynooth, Galway, Sligo or thereabouts.

Wouldn't have a clue either way as I have never been on the N4 unless its part of the route to the Airport. Driving to the Airport via the M50 is probably the closest I ever came to that road.....And no, Last time I was at the airport was in the afternoon in June :D

Luckily in my case, it was a misread numberplate and the full picture showed a totally different make of Car. What could someone do if their plate was cloned to an identical make and colour though. How could anyone prove their innocence in that case. Try and figure out where the were at the time a few weeks previously and try and get CCTV footage?? Would they have to do that for everyone with keys for/insured to drive the car?? Sounds like a minefield!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭Mojito

Well done for what?

Are you telling me that most of you would pay the fine even though you knew you had never been driving on that road???

Looks like alot of you like to bend over and take it up the butt.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

Mojito - good man yeah, nice useful post :rolleyes:

WRT to the N4 and not entering Lucan - the N4 actually splits lucan up in half, heading west bound, the village and older estates are to your right and the newer, ever expanding areas are to your left by superquinn.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Mojito wrote:
    Well done for what?

Are you telling me that most of you would pay the fine even though you knew you had never been driving on that road???

Looks like alot of you like to bend over and take it up the butt.

:rolleyes:
    the op was lucky enough that the car in the pic was a different model. pray tell what would you do if you were presented with a pic of a car the same model and colour as yours that seemed to have the same number plate?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,990 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Calibos wrote:
    Luckily in my case, it was a misread numberplate and the full picture showed a totally different make of Car. What could someone do if their plate was cloned to an identical make and colour though. How could anyone prove their innocence in that case. Try and figure out where the were at the time a few weeks previously and try and get CCTV footage?? Would they have to do that for everyone with keys for/insured to drive the car?? Sounds like a minefield!!

That's good to hear; congrats.

As regards other drivers, if it was someone else you knew driving the car then you can transfer the points to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Car Mad

Stark wrote:
    As regards other drivers, if it was someone else you knew driving the car then you can transfer the points to them.

wasnt some fella from england challenging that in the european high courts saying it was a breach of privacy to tell the government who was driving the car at that time.Anybody hear anything about that how did he get on?doubt he would get too far but worth a try all the same:D

Advertisement