Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Revamp The Leaving?

Options
  • 07-12-2006 12:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,469 ✭✭✭✭

Right, so i know it smells of complaining and a lousy attitude (and you probably wouldnt be wrong either) but i think the leaving needs a bit of a change, my idea...... we all have subjects we hate/love whatever so.... if the dept created an extra level like masters level or whatever you wanna call on top of higher and ordinary where your chosen subject was worth 140 points, a student can only pick one subject to do at this level if they wish, this would enable someone who's excellent at maths but crap at english make up for it. Sorry if i lost you all there and i know its not perfect either but.....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭unnameduser

Yes it would really allow a person excel in an area they liked.

On another note, i think it is more important that the NCCA change the way the way the leaving certificate exams are carried out. Studying for a terminal exam is rediculous. 2 years work being assessed in 3 weeks of exams??!! The cramming done for this type of exams causes alot of rote / off by heart learning and lack of full understanding of the content. Continous assessment is the way to go.

My 2cents

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,226 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Continuous assessment is of course 'educationally' the better option - teachers and educators have known this for ever. It gives a much more rounded picture of a person's strengths and weaknesses. The media like to poo-poo it of course, along with almost any type of project work. You even see it here on boards...CSPE (for example) is derided as 'unfailable' - well, perhaps for middle class literate kids with a home PC that mummy bought for them it is, but it is not so for everyone.

However, we have a system in this country where college entry depends on points - while there is pressure to get the highest points, there will be pressure on teachers from parents re continuous assessment. What if the student 'barely' misses out on the desired course? - the somewhat subjective nature of continuous assessment leads to problems. This can of course be overcome by a system of cross-moderation, but this takes days to do for even one assignment in one subject and would be completely out of the question for the current numbers involved in Leaving Cert.

Or do you envisage a constant assessment 'team' roaming the country checking stuff for each student in each subject area throughout 5th and 6th year?

A more practical change would be to bring in interviews/aptitude tests etc. in conjunction with exam results for college courses. Many high point college courses do not require a 550+ point 'ability' to complete - it's just the demand for places that drives up the points.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Aero787

Continuous assessment would never work. What's there to stop people cheating to perform well? I think people were complaining about this in the UK.

I think the maximum points for any course should be 450-500 (taken from 6 subjects). Isn't medicine going down to 450 points soon with an aptitude assessment because they were getting people who weren't suitable for medicine?

The advantage/disadvantage of the LC is that you do so many subjects. It gives you a lot of options, but if you're certain about what you want to do, some irrevalent subjects can seem completely pointless. But, after the JC/4th year, most people don't know what they want to do or will change their mind about things, so if we had to narrow down to 3 subjects like in A-Levels (i.e. 5 LC subjects) it would be more restrictive.

There are only two things to take away from the LC:
    1. The points for your course
    2. A reasonable knowledge of subjects relevant to your course

My €0.02

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Aero787

One more thing.....the LC is a joke because of the all-day grind schools, and there are too many gimmicks in Irish second level education.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,711 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

For those people who look for continuous assessment, how about study all year round as if ya did have exams. Yeah the current system leads to cramming, but if you studied properly for the two years you DEFINITELY wouldnt have to cram.

Just because the work you do in 5th year isnt recognised officially, that doesnt mean it doesnt stand to you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,469 ✭✭✭✭cson

as i recall smemon saying once "im not for communism in general, but it would suit the education system" or something to that effect. Yep grinds, grindschools are really making a big dent into education in Ireland. You have to wonder if for example going to leeson st to the institute, where there is one goal only, points gives you a true taste of school? Im not being cynical but i just think theres more to the leaving than points.

Advertisement