Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Out there" or tacky?

Options
  • 07-12-2006 12:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭

Hi guys.

Firstly Im an amatuer designer. Basic knowledge of Photoshop and Illustrator.

Im a moderator on a DJ site and I usually do any artwork they need.

I was recently asked to do a medium sized web poster for a Dj competition running for the next month. The brief wasnt very specific.

Anyways, I tried to go for something flat and "vectory" and somewhat late 80s style. Ive seen this colour scheme and style creeping back into vogue in fashion and in some areas of print design.

Anyways, the other mods completely slated my design, basically saying they hated it. Personally, I quite like it.

So Id just like your opinions if possible. Is it THAT bad?!

compartbirthday.gif

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

I like the idea and layout, but the colours could use a real reworking.

I can see you were going for loud and contrasting, but it's possible to do it without using, say, neon pink :)

I'd say just recolour it and it will look a lot different. At present it's a bit of a mish-mash with no real focal points. Try to make the backrounds use some darker colours and the foreground (ie, text) use lighter.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭spidermonkey

maybe if you change the colour around, make it more linear and punchy

the imagery and colours should reflect the style of music, probably hip-hop, drum and bass, so the colour need to be flat, neutral 'urban' colours and with dirty graphics.

the wording too could be more urban, instead of 'dj mix competition', how about 'dj mix comp'?
    as i've learned from my lectures(by failing projects) design isn't about pretty colours & graphics, its about communicating a clear message, to the intended target audience. your audience will understand the lingo.
    you just got caught up in your own likes & style

inspiration
    http://www.breakbeat.co.uk/
    image1
    website here
    image2

for some filthy typefaces
    http://www.misprintedtype.com/v3/fonts.php

hope that helps!

by the way, that aldj, looks like aldi so bear that in mind
    that it could be mistaken for an ad for washing power or cillit BANG!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

Thanks lads for the feedback.

I guess when Im experimenting with styles I should do it in my own time rather than when its for a client or friend.

Spidermonkey, the site is for digital DJs, most of which are playing house and pop, so its not so much "urban" focussed in the hip-hop/dnb sense, but more Hed Kandi, Ibiza style things [not that my original idea was along those lines] but I do get your point. :)
    Some lovely stuff in those links, thanks for them. Im quite a long way from that!
    I really need to get into Illustrator more when I have some time. The poster with the robot is fab.

Anyways, I came up with this more "photoshoppy" effort and theyre fine with it:

compartbirthday2.jpg

Thanks again guys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭marktsang

ow my eyes... thats pretty gaudy - being honest i find it hard to look at, maybe that is intentional?
    i think the main text could do with more room to breathe, needs more neutral space on the left and the right

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭spidermonkey

aaaah digital!!!
    you see now theres loads to work with and to!
    considering your a mod of this forum im guessing you dabble or maybe more.
    what is digital? its "data, numerical calculations, information" anything thats not analogue.

the most basic digital language is binary 0100111011010101010010101
    from my own experience of garageband. theres midi which is represented by green blocks of data or wave files.
    all music is about a rythm or pulse, so an image of a heart monitoring machine in a hospital also spring to mind.
    here are some inspiring fonts

the first style that springs to mind would be De Stijl

if you look at all these and take inspiration and do some more brainstorming you'll be on the right track.

also check out the unigrid system designed by massimo vignelli
    it will compliment your design and give you a solid layout guide.

all the best!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭jennyrusks

Hi Womoma

You're new poster looks great. This is a site I use for help with picking colours that go well together. I thought you might find interesting.

www.colorblender.com

all the best

Jennifer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭ErinGoBrath

CuLT wrote:
    I like the idea and layout, but the colours could use a real reworking.

That's the first thing I thought when looking at it. In particular the yellow and green.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,543 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

You should maybe use the same font throughout when explaining the prizes. The "Prizes from Pioneer Pro Dj, Slappa..."etc looks like your going down the Cream advertisements who use a beefed up Arial.Just increase the stroke in Illustrator.

The top third has quite a kick of funk out of it.If you were able to base the rest of it on that it might start t come together.

my 2 cents

Advertisement