Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Camera Scam

• 07-12-2006 1:23am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭

I know that no-one here gives legal advice, but this on behalf of a mate.

Anyhoo's, one early Sunday morning, he's on the way back from his gf's, and someone tells him of 3 Sony camera's that he got cheaply, and perhaps my mate could make some money selling them. Now, my mate wasn't fully awake at this stage, and thus bought the 3 camera's for just under €700.

Now, they had the Sony logo's in all the right places, but when my mate brought them home, and checked them out on the net 2 days later, he found that this particular model was bogus, and that people were getting scammed into buying these thinking they were legit Sony camera's.

Now, my mate's just gonna mark it down as fairly dumb experience, but he's a mate, so I thought I'd ask here if going to the cops would get anything back? He thinks not, but whats the harm in trying.

I'm not asking for legal advice, as such, but more of a "is there anything that can be done" about this, in regards going to the cops, or would just laugh at it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭DublinEvents

If your mate knows the whereabouts of whoever sold him the cams, he should immediately file a report against that person and charge him with deliberate fraud. The gardai will be very interested in getting their hands on a weasel like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

If your mate knows the whereabouts of whoever sold him the cams, he should immediately file a report against that person and charge him with deliberate fraud. The gardai will be very interested in getting their hands on a weasel like that.
    Cool. Whats the chances he'd get his money back, do ye know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Slim and none. And Slim just left town.

Fraudsters aren't reknowned for giving cash refunds. Sorry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Trojan911

the_syco wrote:
    Cool. Whats the chances he'd get his money back, do ye know?

Syco,

By all means tell your buddy to report it, there are counterfeit & deception offences in there, however, did your buddy have an honest held belief that they were not stolen? That is a question that the Gardaí may ask. Does he leave himself open to a "handling stolen goods" charge if he beleived they were stolen as he was getting them on the cheap?

How many times does a stranger come up to you & give you an oppertunity to make some money? I've met nobody yet. Did your buddy know this person?

TJ911...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭padser

Your mate sounds like an idiot, someone came up and offered him discount cameras and he forked over €700. Seriously, wouldnt go to the guards, he clearly believed they were stolen (and they could have been) also he would get laughed out of the station.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

the_syco wrote:
    someone tells him of 3 Sony camera's that he got cheaply, and perhaps my mate could make some money selling them
    lol, because the guy who 'got' them cheaply just didn't have the time to make some money selling them himself :D

So he thought he was buying stolen cameras and instead wound up with counterfeit cameras? boo-hoo!

tbh, maybe he learned a relatively inexpensive lesson. He could have bought a brick in a laptop bag for 2 grand. Of course theres still time before christmas to pick up that bargain. Is it available this year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭padser

Gurgle wrote:
    He could have bought a brick in a laptop bag for 2 grand. Of course theres still time before christmas to pick up that bargain. Is it available this year?

Well if the_syco's friend is around, you could well find they are sold out pretty quickly!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Tell your friend I've got some Italian leather jackets and sony vaio laptops for sale.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Blackjack

I have some Milk Cans for sale if anyone is interested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Blackjack wrote:
    I have some Milk Cans for sale if anyone is interested.
    Yeah, theres a shortage for some reason....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Blackjack

Victor wrote:
    Yeah, theres a shortage for some reason....

Yeah, I've heard of chaps being offered Milk cans by guys on the street but being disappointed when they find Laptops being placed in the bag instead.

You have to be careful.

Advertisement