Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

guidance needed

Options
  • 07-12-2006 1:59am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

I just started with the whole digital sequencing recording thing and i would like to know if someone could give me a guideline as to what path to follow in learning the skills. Currently i'm working with an imac 2.0 GHz 1GB RAM/Cubase le/Presonus firepod/and a yamaha psr a3(synth/midi controller) I figured I'd start by learning the program but where do i go from there? Just so i don't jump around to much and get frustrated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭counterpointaud

Mate, that is such a huge area I don't think you will get a meaningful answer unless you ask some well thought out specific questions.

Just my opinion, but I wouldn't know where to start answering your post without more detail.

Nathan

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

You have everything to get you started, except for software instruments. Go to www.kvraudio.com and download loads of free VST plugin instruments and effects. Try them out in Cubase, see what sort of sounds you can make and go from there. Its easy to spend months just trying out the software and not getting any music made, so I'd say jump straight in there, don't worry about it if you think things sound like crap for the first while, its the best way to learn the software and the techniques.

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭eddyc

Try buying some magazines like 'computer music' or 'sound on sound' , they usually give tutorials (especially computer music) and have interviews with producers, reviews of good products etc...

I dont wanna sound like a shill but they really helped me get my head around the production end of things

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭frobisher

The only real way you will get to learn the program and process is simply by making music. When you start using various aspects of the program e.g. metronome, go through every single function on offer. You may not need it now, it may even baffle you a little but you'll have a rough knowledge that will serve as great base for when you get more experienced. If you have any specific queries or questions feel free to post them.

Advertisement