Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water pressure for Shower

Options
  • 07-12-2006 2:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm thinking of hooking a water pump to bath taps to get better pressure as our pressure is brutal on the hot water tap?? Has anyone tried this??

(Dont see the point in putting in an Electric shower when i have hot water at the ready)

Any pumps recommended or am I mad??:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Reyman

Is the pressure bad at the hot water taps (unusual) or at the shower head?

The separation between the shower head and the base of the attic tank is usually only about 2-3' so you will get a poor flow from the shower but the taps should be ok at 5-6' head.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭stapeler

Last year I installed a Monsoon 3bar pump and it works a treat. I set it in the hotpress to cover hot/cold for the entire house. The downside is the high pressure in the taps so I installed a two way switch outside each bathroom. It means that when having a shower just flick the switch to activate the pump.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭SonOfPerdition

gorgo wrote:
    Hi,

I'm thinking of hooking a water pump to bath taps to get better pressure as our pressure is brutal on the hot water tap?? Has anyone tried this??

(Dont see the point in putting in an Electric shower when i have hot water at the ready)

Any pumps recommended or am I mad??:)

Hi gorgo,

are you in an old or new house? does your water contain a lot of lime?

I had a similar problem when we moved into our house, we're in a rural setting with our own water supply which has a lot of limescale.

The exisiting taps had lots of limescale build up and it was amazing the difference in simply fitting new taps. The hot water on the bath was the most improved.

A clue to this may be the difference between the hot and cold taps on your bath. they should both be fed from your water tank (hot via your hot tank of course). They should both have the same pressure, assuming they have ther same size pipes feeding them. If the hot is much weaker then i'd suspect something blocking it and limescale is a suspect.

maybe something to consider before fitting a pump.

SOP

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

If you have a limescale problem address it with a professionaly installed water softener, initiall outlay large but inexpensive when you consider the constant replacement of taps, shower heads, elements etc....

plus you don't have floaters in your tea!!!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭gorgo

Reyman wrote:
    Is the pressure bad at the hot water taps (unusual) or at the shower head?

The separation between the shower head and the base of the attic tank is usually only about 2-3' so you will get a poor flow from the shower but the taps should be ok at 5-6' head.

Hi Reyman,

the pressure is bad at the hot water taps. I assume by 2-3' you mean foot, as in height difference?? I live in a single storey flat so there would be negligible height diff. from tank to shower head.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Reyman

gorgo wrote:
    Hi Reyman,

the pressure is bad at the hot water taps. I assume by 2-3' you mean foot, as in height difference?? I live in a single storey flat so there would be negligible height diff. from tank to shower head.

That's your problem in terms of the shower. You'll get no pressure from a head of 2' to 3'. But as I said it shouldn't affect your bath taps which are maybe 3' lower.

The standrd solution is to raise the tank in the attic by a few feet. This will give a big improvement.

Advertisement