Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows, Windows, Windows

Options
  • 07-12-2006 9:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭

Hi all,
    New user here. Have been reading some posts on windows and suppliers over the last few days. I am currently building a 2500 sq foot house (bungalo). Most of the living quarters (kitchen, dining and sitting rooms) of the house is south facing so we have decided to go with alot of glass in these areas. Went with a contractor and it is getting to a stage where we need to decide on the windows. Builder has got a number of quotes from various local window suppliers and rang me the other day to say that none of them can match Munster Joinerys price. He seems pretty keen to go with them but after reading some of the posts here, im not so keen.

Just some points to note:
    Of the 2 local suppliers, one uses Pilkington K glass (U value = 1.9) and the other uses Careys Glass (U value = 1.1 with Argon gas).

I have no idea what glass MJ uses in the windows.

To me, the U value of the glass is very important as i want to insulate the living area as much as possible. Im even prepared to spend a little more if it means retaining more heat in the winter months.

Any advice?

Also, i am going with the Geothermal (horizontal) UFH.

Thanks again!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭ShowAndGo

Not too sure what MJ’s U values are but you need to be careful when people are quoting U values…are they quoting for the double glazed unit or the window (double glazed unit and window frame)? Make sure are comparing like with like.

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭dryan

I am presuming now that its just the double glazed unit.
    The frame is something i never put much thought into.

Should i be looking for a U value for the complete window (Frame + glazed unit)?
    Is it possible to get the U values on window frames as well?

What are the questions i should firing at the builder?

Like i said earlier, i need to get this right first time round.

Cheers!!

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭ShowAndGo

As far as I know the type of frame that you use does affect the over U value of the window unit. So if a stand alone double glazing unit has a U value of 1.1, when you add the window frame the overall U value for the window unit rises. How much it rises depends on the type of material used in the window frame pvc, hardwood etc

So if you are comparing U values make sure the companies are quoting the U values for the double glazing unit only and take it from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭2 Espressi

MJ's have Pilkington K. At least some, if not all our windows have it anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭dryan

So, when im asking the questions about the U values, i should be looking for:
    1 - U value for the glazed unit
    2 - U value for the window frame
    3 - U value for the complete window unit. (will depend on window size)

That way, i should have all my angles covered!!

Can anyone recommend any good Window suppliers in the Athlone (midland) area???

Thanks again Folks!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement