Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Charlesland Bus Services - Finnegans/Dublin Bus

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Good find. Will stick this for the festive season...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭new arrival

and the Dublin Bus Night link to Greytones......... 84N

http://www.dublinbus.ie/news_centre/ChristmasNitelink.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Sparks115

Hi all jsut to advise while I think that Finnegans bus service is brilliant and very safe for us lovely ladies at xmas time. The 1am bus gets you home in under 1 hr...I got the 3am bus a couple of weeks ago and when it pulled up outside Charlesland it was 5am!!!! NO JOKE!!! It seemed to go around Bray forever...thank God I didnt need to go to the little girls room and a very nice man walked me up the way to my house. But seriously the last bus drops every tom dick and harry to god knows where... so dont get on if you have had a lot of beer otherwise you will be singing the song!!!:D Otherwise a great friendly service.....well worth €7:D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,942 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

by coincidence I emailed Finnegans today about Xmas services:

Every night except Sunday from Thursday 14th up to Sat 23rd.
    No bus Christmas Eve or Christmas night
    Bus is on St Stephens Night and then Thursday 28th up to and incl New Years
    Eve.

I also emailed Dublin Bus asking why every other Nitelink starts at 0030 but the 84N starts at 0200. They cited "lack of demand" for an earlier service, which I think means everyone gets the 1am finnegans bus, but thats not much use if you live in Greystones. So if you want to leave town between 2330 (last dart) and 0200 (84N) its a €60 cab ride for you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Tanith

The way I read the Finnegans bus service they only go via Charlesland on the 3am bus and only to Graystones village on the 1am which is a bit of a walk!! Please tell me the 1am goes via Charlesland too??? :D

bad news - The 1am only goes to Bray. The 3am goes to Greystones - then onto Charlesland and Kilcoole, but it does a grand tour of Bray before going on to greystones so it takes forever to get home (though on one occassion I got it, they put the Greystones passengers onto a different bus at the Royal Hotel and went direct to Greystones).

Nightbuses summary:

2300 - last 84 to Kilcoole
    2330 - last DART to Greystones
    0100 - Finnegans to Bray only
    0200 - 84N to Greystones Station only
    0300 - Finnegans to Bray, Greystones, Charlesland, Kilcoole
    0400 - 84N to Greystones station only.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 239 ✭✭wingding

The 1am bus only goes as far as Bray. If you want to be dropped to Charlesland the only option is the 3am Finnegans as the nightlink only drops to the dart.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Sparks115

Just to let you know if you do get the 1am Finnegans Bus if you ask the driver when you get on that you need a taxi from Bray to Greystones he twice has radio-ed ahead for me and when we get to the far side of Bray there is a Taxi company and they had a taxi waiting for me to bring me to Charlesland!!! Execellent service have to say TOP NOTCH!! It cost me €10 to get home but by taxi sure hey better than €60 from town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

Good news indeed, if it pans out.

The only thing I would say Loyatemu is that unless you have a bus pass/weekly ticket or whatever, your trip to the pub (mentioned in that thread) will cost about €3 as there is a minimum fare on the X busses!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭Marcais

The only thing I would say Loyatemu is that unless you have a bus pass/weekly ticket or whatever, your trip to the pub (mentioned in that thread) will cost about €3 as there is a minimum fare on the X busses!

Yeah, I think it'll be €1.30 each way to Greystones. I'd imagine alot of people only have DART passes.

Runnig a shuttle bus full time and charging 50c per trip might be feasible, or even buying/leasing a bus ourselves!

Yeah, I think it'll be €1.30 each way to Greystones. I'd imagine alot of people only have DART passes.

Running a shuttle bus full time and charging 50c per trip might be feasible, or even buying/leasing a bus ourselves!

Marcais wrote:

Running a shuttle bus full time and charging 50c per trip might be feasible, or even buying/leasing a bus ourselves!

well I have a bus\rail pass

running the shuttle bus full time would be very expensive - it would only (possibly) pay for itself if you charged at peak times also. Patronage off peak would be fairly low.

the other thread mentions the possibility of some 184s serving charlesland - these would be normal fare.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Plenty

I saw the 84x on the dual carriage way as I left the estate this morning. I wonder if it's doing a trial run?

Plenty wrote:
    I saw the 84x on the dual carriage way as I left the estate this morning. I wonder if it's doing a trial run?

nah - there's always been one 84X in the morning from charlesland.

Does anyone know what time that bus is supposed to leave at? I thought it was 7:45, but it wasn't there last week when I'd planned to take it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭Joliegood

It goes at 7.35. Another one passed up through Charlesland on it's way to Kilcoole this morning at about 10am. I hope there is finally a proper service, the walk up the road in the winter is a nightmare.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Plenty

loyatemu wrote:
    nah - there's always been one 84X in the morning from charlesland.

Fair enough, I'm just not as observant as I first thought

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Tanith

Hey Guys,

thanks for all the info - bit crap really isn't it? But the taxi idea from Bray is a good one :)

update on this:

new 84x timetable now at
    http://www.dublinbus.ie/your_journey/viewer.asp?route=84x

the services marked as being to\from Kilcoole and Newcastle go through Charlesland. The services To\From Newtown do not.

More significantly the 184 now goes through Charlesland (although Dublin Bus' website doesn't state this). Saw a couple over the weekend displaying "Newtown (via Charlesland)" and "Bray Station (via Charlesland)" It appears all 184s now come up to Charlesland from Greystones, then head back towards Greystones before continuing to either Bray or Newtown.

Finally, and most importantly, the Byrnes are running an Xmas shuttle bus between the Beach House, Burnaby and Wicklow Arms which serves a number of estates including Charlesland. Don't have any more details, but it was in the Times on Saturday being launched by Big Dick Roche. (Burnaby and Beach House are also participating the Coca Cola designated driver thingy if you prefer to drive to the pub)

• Advertisement

Good news, but it looks like it is €2.20 one way Charlesland to Greystones (Zone 2-3)! 3 sharing a taxi would be cheaper!

Adult Single Child Single (U16)

Travel within any 1 zone €1.90 ?1.60

Travel between any 2 zones €2.20 ?1.60

Travel between any 3 zones ?3.00 ?1.60

Travel between any 4 zones ?3.10 ?1.80

ps. great to see Dick Roche making such good use of his/our time!
    loyatemu wrote:
    update on this:

new 84x timetable now at
    http://www.dublinbus.ie/your_journey/viewer.asp?route=84x

the services marked as being to\from Kilcoole and Newcastle go through Charlesland. The services To\From Newtown do not.

More significantly the 184 now goes through Charlesland (although Dublin Bus' website doesn't state this). Saw a couple over the weekend displaying "Newtown (via Charlesland)" and "Bray Station (via Charlesland)" It appears all 184s now come up to Charlesland from Greystones, then head back towards Greystones before continuing to either Bray or Newtown.

Finally, and most importantly, the Byrnes are running an Xmas shuttle bus between the Beach House, Burnaby and Wicklow Arms which serves a number of estates including Charlesland. Don't have any more details, but it was in the Times on Saturday being launched by Big Dick Roche. (Burnaby and Beach House are also participating the Coca Cola designated driver thingy if you prefer to drive to the pub)

Marcais wrote:
    Good news, but it looks like it is €2.20 one way Charlesland to Greystones (Zone 2-3)! 3 sharing a taxi would be cheaper!

aye, but should be only 95c on the 184 and it runs roughly every half hour during the day. Difficult to tell what times it will hit Charlesland though as the timetable only shows the departure times from Bray and Kilpeddar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭Joliegood

loyatemu wrote:
    update on this:

That bus did not show up last night, nor according to the cab driver (when we eventually got one) did it on Saturday night either. Good to hear that the 184 is going to Charlesland now though, about time.

I was on the Charlesland Bus this morning and saw a 184 heading towards Greystones. It went straight through, not up to Charlesland. Is it definite that all buses go up?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

I'm fairly sure that the 184 goes from Bray to Greystones then by the rugby club (Mill Road) up through the mini-roundabouts to Delgany and then on down the N11 to Newtown...

...and the return journey is back along the N11 to the Glenview Hotel bridge and down through Delgany and so on.

Do you think it will come up to Charlesland and then head back to Delgany on the Killincarrig road or perhaps totally miss out on Delgany and head striaght up the SAR to the N11?

As for the 84...I suppose considering the above its the only bus route to make sense to short-cut through Charlesland to get to Kilcoole, Newcastle etc. instead of going up Mill Road to the mini-roundabouts and doing a left to get to Kilcoole!

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

I was on the Charlesland Bus this morning and saw a 184 heading towards Greystones. It went straight through, not up to Charlesland. Is it definite that all buses go up?

its not definite, as there is no confirmation from Dublin Bus.

But I've seen several 184s since Saturday and they've all had "Via Charlesland" on their display. The one bus I did see in Charlesland went up to the main roundabout, went all the way around and headed back towards Greystones. There were passengers on board and the display said "Newtown (via Charlesland)".

This thread - http://p201.ezboard.com/fbustravelirelandfrm8.showMessage?topicID=1265.topic - seems to suggest that the drivers have been paid a bonus for this routing change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 quag

does anyone know what time the 84x goes through charlesland around 7.30/7.35 since the change? Thanks

quag wrote:
    does anyone know what time the 84x goes through charlesland around 7.30/7.35 since the change? Thanks
    Earlier in this thread...
    joliegood wrote:
    It goes at 7.35.

;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 quag

Thanks Mike,
    It actually went at 7.35 under the old timetable. Im just wondering when they go through around that time now that the timetable has changed. It doesnt look from the timetable that theres any that leave from charlesland now, just pass through.

• Advertisement

looks like the 84X does the same thing as the 184 - ie it travels from Kilcoole to Greystones via Killincarrig then turns up towards charlesland, goes right around the superquinn roundabout and heads back towards Greystones (and vice-versa in the evening).

I would've thought about 15-20 minutes to get from Kilcoole to Charlesland that way. According to the timetable one leaves Kilcoole at 0710 and another leaves Newcastle at 0715 then 2 more from Kilcoole at 0730 and 0745

Advertisement