Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Turn On Your **** Lights!

Options
  • 07-12-2006 11:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭

Lights are not just for seeing where you are going, they are for other people to see you too.
    8am this morning on the way to work, lashing rain, 100km winds, the amount of cars I saw without lights on was unbelievable.
    Same on Sunday, was driving from Dublin to Galway, worst weather in years, and people sauntering along in their own little world, no lights on, not caring what goes on around them.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

I prefer to save petrol! :p

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I have auto lights. Cool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

Such cars should be seized and turned into cubes :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭daymobrew

WRT people driving without lights at night, don't they notice that they can't read the speedometer?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,990 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Nearly pulled out in front of a black car that had no lights on last night. Dangerous ****.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

Max Damage reminded me of something, I drove in Hanoi in Vietnam, some of the Vietnamese drove their little motorbikes and scooters (sometimes with five people on them) in the dark with barely any street lights with no light on (to save petrol)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

..........and so have I - Way cool Henry !

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Archeron

He's a witch. BURN HIM!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

daymobrew wrote:
    WRT people driving without lights at night, don't they notice that they can't read the speedometer?

They turn on their crappy 5W parking lights to overcome this :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

I also turn on my fog lights so the glare off the road when its wet makes me extra visible !

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,729 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

C_Breeze wrote:
    I also turn on my fog lights so the glare off the road when its wet makes me extra visible !
    Im hoping you are taking the wee!

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭paddy

C_Breeze wrote:

And blinding the rest of us, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

In the last week I've spotted about 4/5 cars with no lights on after 5pm... when its night time dark. I'd always flash them, but usually to no avail.

Once I continued to flash a guy in a Passat so much, he jammed on the brakes and got out to start shouting at me. He was quickly put in his place when I pointed out that he'd no lights.

If it saves one crash then its worth me being an annoying bastard ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

C_Breeze wrote:

And the back ones too (my car has two, laguna) just to be extra visible:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭Mojito

C_Breeze wrote:

Me too! Just to give some posters here something to moan about. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭endplate

uh oh here we go again:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭franksm

I'll save us some space till next time, 'cos C-Breeze is just a big troll :D

<random user> insert rant about foglights
    <franksm> agree with foglight rant and attach photo of sample foglit tw@t
    <another user> attack franksm for taking photos with mobile phone
    <3rd user> correct everyone's spelling and grammar in the above
    <4th user> haven't we done this to death already ? jeeeeeez

NEXT !

Cars overturning on the Lucan M50 slip road. How the hell can anyone overturn a car there given the traffic conditions and typical road speeds ? Discuss

• Registered Users Posts: 20,990 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Was it a Cinquento? :)

It probably hit one of the barriers for the roadworks. They have a curvature that could cause a car to run up them and flip over. It happened to a car before, apparently it reached the height of a double decker bus when it flipped. It must have looked awesome :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭rossious

Max_Damage wrote:
    I prefer to save petrol! :p
    Dipped light adds 2% to to fuel cost... no that much really??

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭nialler

2% so that's about 1.70 a week for me to run with lights on. I have them set on the comp to come on the minute the car is started.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Stark wrote:

It probably hit one of the barriers for the roadworks. They have a curvature that could cause a car to run up them and flip over.
    Exactly. Think it was a mondeo or a something along those lines, hard to tell
    Stark wrote:
    It happened to a car before, apparently it reached the height of a double decker bus when it flipped. It must have looked awesome :)
    Seen the aftermath, a bit mad looking. The passengers were still in it when I went past. Lucky there was no-one killed.#

Also, people driving on side/parking lights is beyond me too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Stark wrote:

It probably hit one of the barriers for the roadworks.

Most likely it hit a leaf or a small pebble.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

franksm wrote:
    Cars overturning on the Lucan M50 slip road. How the hell can anyone overturn a car there given the traffic conditions and typical road speeds ? Discuss

Some people would see that as a challenge.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

I always use dipped lights when driving.

I agree, the amount of people driving in poor light conditions without lights is stupid!

Just this evening when I was driving from Tullow to Castledermot I came across a JCB and a tractor pottering along in dark conditions with no lights on whathsoever ??!!!

In most EU contries it is ILLEGAL to drive on parking lights....after all they are only for use when you are 'PARKED' !

Advertisement