Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hell freezes over

Options
  • 07-12-2006 11:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭

and japanese people actually queue up to buy an xbox360.

h-103_64096_bd002.jpg.jpg
    15500_n20061207_02_bd06.jpg
    15500_n20061207_02_bd05.jpg
    15500_n20061207_02_bd04.jpg
    15500_n20061207_02_bd03.jpg
    h-103_64096_bd004.jpg.jpg

Theyre queuing up for blue dragon by the by (which actually looks a bit crap if you ask me)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Are you joking? It's made by the same team that made Chrono Trigger and looks absolutly quality. Along with Mistwalker's other RPQ Cry On, could really convince the Japanese to invest in a 360, which costs next to nothing there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Blue Dragon looks great.

Be interesting to see how much of a difference it makes to overall xbox sales in japan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭Darnell13

Can i just say that Oubliette's sig is absolutley marvellous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭Vyse

I cannot wait for this game. Hopefully it'll land sometime early next year. This, Mass Effect and Bioshock are riding high on my list of must haves at the moment.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,409 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Blue Dragon looks amazing. It's being made by the ex-square members who left with Hironobu Sakaguchi (the creator of Final Fantasy). Basically all Final Fantasy team staff left square with him. Haven't you noticed that Square have gone to the dogs since he left after FFX was completed. I'm looking forward to it for my next Final Fantasy fix since FFXII wasn't great and nothing like a final fantasy game.

• Advertisement

I thought final fantasy 12 was meant to be the business:eek: Got a 10/10 on eurogamer. Would love to play it (and Dragon Quest 8) but I've resisted the PS2 this long so I'm not about to crumble now (I have no love for Sony).

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Am I the only one wondering if anyone in Japan actually has a job? They always seem to have free time to queue for anything.:confused:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,409 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Vyse wrote:
    I thought final fantasy 12 was meant to be the business:eek: Got a 10/10 on eurogamer. Would love to play it (and Dragon Quest 8) but I've resisted the PS2 this long so I'm not about to crumble now (I have no love for Sony).

I'm not sure why it's getting good reviews but saying that I didn't put too much time into it. The story was good but the battle system was awful. One thing for sure is that it's nothing like an FF game. It has more in common with an MMORPG or Vagrant Story. I didn't enjoy it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

Blue Dragon looks fantastic, can't wait for it. Hopefully they will keep the japanese audio and just subtitle everything, unless they put the time and money towards a very good dubbing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

i am fully aware of who's developing it and thier pedigree but i am also aware of that fact that its a superdefored cutesy RPG and i dont think i can stomach another one of those.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Vyse wrote:
    Would love to play it (and Dragon Quest 8) but I've resisted the PS2 this long so I'm not about to crumble now (I have no love for Sony).

You're denying yourself the best Japanese RPG of the last generation. It's ****ing amazing and you have no idea what you're missing out on because of your fanboy carry-on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Vyse wrote:
    Then buy one second-hand...?

You're denying yourself the best Japanese RPG of the last generation. It's ****ing amazing and you have no idea what you're missing out on because of your fanboy carry-on.

I'm no fanboy, I just don't like Sony as a company. I think they are a bunch of arrogant pr*cks. Don't think that makes me a fanboy, I've been playing computer games since I had a VIC-20 and have had pretty much everything in between.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Attol

Sony don't profit on second hand stuff though.

0ubliette wrote:
    i am fully aware of who's developing it and thier pedigree but i am also aware of that fact that its a superdefored cutesy RPG and i dont think i can stomach another one of those.

Well it's your loss. This game is coming from the same team that made Chrono Trigger, widely regarded as the greatest RPG ever made despite being super deformed. I'd rank quite a few super deformed RPGs above the angsty teenager types, Grandia, Dragon Quest VIII amoung others. I can't see how you can completely write off a game due to it's art style. It's like those idiots that immediately wrote off Wind Waker since it was cel-shaded and that turned out to be fantastic and the art atyle was it's best feature.

Edit: It seems Famitsu gave it 37/40 (three 9's and a 10). Really looking forward to it. Supposedly the story is rather excellent. Can't wait to play a Hironobu Sakaguchi RPG again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Retr0gamer wrote:
    Well it's your loss. This game is coming from the same team that made Chrono Trigger, widely regarded as the greatest RPG ever made despite being super deformed. I'd rank quite a few super deformed RPGs above the angsty teenager types, Grandia, Dragon Quest VIII amoung others. I can't see how you can completely write off a game due to it's art style. It's like those idiots that immediately wrote off Wind Waker since it was cel-shaded and that turned out to be fantastic and the art atyle was it's best feature.

Edit: It seems Famitsu gave it 37/40 (three 9's and a 10). Really looking forward to it. Supposedly the story is rather excellent. Can't wait to play a Hironobu Sakaguchi RPG again.

Hell really is freezing over. Retr0gamer is talking himself into buying an Xbox 360 :D

I think he has had one for a while. Surprised you had not seen that review before Retro, tut tut. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

It's funny. A year ago I was sure I would never get an Xbox 360, since I didn't think the Xbox library was much cop when compared to the PS2 and felt the same would happen against the PS3. The 360 launch lineup didn't do much to change that perception.

Flash forward to now and the 360 is steadily growing from strength to strength. Games which I want to play and an all-round healthier outlook than the PS3 (at least right now). I'm pleased to see that they finally have something out that has caught the attention of the Japanese, as I'd really like to see more support from that side of the world. And with games like this and Halo 3 on the way, I could actually see myself getting a 360 next Christmas.

It will be interesting to see how it turns out. Which console will be the more favoured to develop for in each territory, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

When I saw the title my first thought was "They've released Duke Nukem Forever!?"

IGN's opinion after 5 hours.

"Deformed" graphics be damned, I want this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

Crucifix wrote:
    When I saw the title my first thought was "They've released Duke Nukem Forever!?"

Haha I thought exactly the same thing.

On topic though, I normally have no problem with this type of style(and some of my all time favourite games follow it) but there's something about Blue Dragon that just goes too far, everything is waaaay too cutesy for me to take serious.

When I play an RPG in my view everything is secondary to the story, I want characters and situations I care about, I want drama etc... I just look at those graphics and I can't imagine those characters in a serious, tragic situation.

Hopefully playing the game will change my mind though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

Retr0gamer wrote:

Ive played grandia, and ive played chrono trigger. And as i get older the idea of playing as cutesy wutesy children casting spells on even cuter monsters just doesnt appeal to me any more. As someone else said rpg's are about story, and i cant imagine the story of this game grabbing me the way more 'adult' rpgs might, i.e vagrant story or ffx. If im investing 80+ hours in a game i like to be able to relate to the protragonist, and i cant relate to small children with massive heads and eyes like ****ing searchlights. Its one of the reasons i couldnt play ff9, ****ing zidane and that twat vivi just got on my nerves.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Retr0gamer wrote:
    So... you're surprised that Famitsu gave an Xbox game (other than DoA Xtreme Titfest) a high score?
    Why? Famitsu scores mean fvck-all -- they score games on ad-revenue.

Advertisement