Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Northern Ireland cars...and the M50

Options
  • 07-12-2006 12:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭

Why is it that most northern cars speed excessively on the m50, cross lines and partitions they shouldn't do at junctions and get away with it - surely there's a guard reading this site that can tell me where the hell they are at 6am to 7am in the morning when they should be on the M50 stopping this crap, especially in light of this mornings accident !

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

genfoley wrote:
    Why is it that most northern cars speed excessively on the m50, cross lines and partitions they shouldn't do at junctions and get away with it?
    Probably because most RoI registered cars do exactly the same things and they're copying them, I'd guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭mal1

Not just the M50....on every road in the republic.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

i am sure there are plenty of drivers from the south getting away with it aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Because the worst they'll get for it is a fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,990 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Like Stephen said, they won't get penalty points for it. Also, I think they have to be pulled over to get a speeding fine; I don't think they can be fined from a camera.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,729 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

And here we have yet another post criticising 'foreign' drivers.
    Our own drivers are just as bad if not worse!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

kbannon wrote:
    And here we have yet another post criticising 'foreign' drivers.
    Our own drivers are just as bad if not worse!

I dont care about speed limits when I drive in the North.

However I dont drive in excess of the limits on any particular road.

What happened on the M50 this morning.

I heard something on the radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,990 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Car flipped over. They didn't say if it was spectacular or not.

Yes but cars don't tend to suddenly flip over!
    Did it clip another car or some road furniture?
    Looking at www.rte.ie/news/2006/1207/m50.html it says
    But AA Roadwatch is still reporting this afternoon that southbound traffic is slow from the tollbridge to Lucan.
    Not much of a queue then! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

genfoley wrote:
    Why is it that most northern cars speed excessively on the m50, cross lines and partitions they shouldn't do at junctions and get away with it - surely there's a guard reading this site that can tell me where the hell they are at 6am to 7am in the morning when they should be on the M50 stopping this crap, especially in light of this mornings accident !

Imagine if you will the Northern Ireland version of boards. Picture the motors forum. I bet you there would be a thread in there asking why is it that most Southern cars speed excessively on the roads up here, cross lines and partitions they shouldn't do at junctions and get away with it - surely there's a PSNI officer reading this site that can tell me where the hell they are at 6am to 7am in the morning when they should be on the roads stopping this crap......

They would probably also add that they are running red lights and most like don't even have a driving license.

But to answer your question it is probably a factor of two things.

1) The chance of getting caught is slim, and even if they do there are no points to worry about.
    2) They are following the example they see set by the Souther drivers.

Then, to answer the question of out imaginary Northern counterpart. Southern drivers seem to have no respect for other road users or the rules of the road and they are simply driving in the North as they do in the South. The fact that they won't get points is a bonus.

MrP

MrP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭sk8board

take a trip up the M1 some evening. Its unbelievable. At least on the M50 they can't do silly speeds. I always drive the full 120kph on the M1, and I'm completely in the way! 85-100 would be on the low end I would say, given how fast they blast past.

Every time Im on the M1 Im overtaken by several cars with southern plates. I would be at or maybe a bit over the limit. They are going much faster. It is grossly inaccurate to suggest or imply that Norn Iron cars are the only ones going fast out there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Mailman

The majority of those cars would be driven by drivers resident in the Republic and they should be on southern plates.
    The people who ignore the laws for vehicle registration in the State are probably going to ignore traffic laws.
    A chancer is a chancer by nature. The fact that they have a foreign registration and are more difficult to prosecute when caught give them more reason to take a chance on breaking the rules of the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Mailman wrote:
    The majority of those cars would be driven by drivers resident in the Republic and they should be on southern plates
    I was just about to say that. :D Half of the NI registered cars in Co Donegal appear to be owned by ROI drivers. :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

kbannon wrote:
    Yes but cars don't tend to suddenly flip over!
    Did it clip another car or some road furniture?

I reckon it hit one of the temporary barricades, the one beside where the car landed tapers upwards.
    MrPudding wrote:
    MrP

MrP

Is this the new thing now eh??

Sparks400 wrote:

Is this the new thing now eh??

So good they named him twice.:D

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭sk8board

kbannon wrote:
    Every time Im on the M1 Im overtaken by several cars with southern plates. I would be at or maybe a bit over the limit. They are going much faster. It is grossly inaccurate to suggest or imply that Norn Iron cars are the only ones going fast out there!

whoa there tiger. never suggested for a sec that we weren't at it ourselves too!
    Regarding the M1 and the Nordie bhoy's, we call it the Break for the Border.
    And why wouldn't they; you can't be stopped, fined or impounded. The perfect crime. I can actually understand why they would do it too! Stretch the legs on the 530d without fear of conviction; happy days.

I'm guessing corss-border points will end this discussion either way, so roll on that day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭MAYPOP

sk8board wrote:
    I'm guessing corss-border points will end this discussion either way, so roll on that day.

Why? It won't improve safety on the M1 by one iota, since it's southern drivers who are unable to use a motorway properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

sk8board wrote:
    you can't be stopped, fined or impounded
    What makes you think that? (I presume by 'you' you mean 'they')

sk8board wrote:
    The perfect crime
    'Offence' may be a more appropriate word. ;)

What makes you think that? (I presume by 'you' you mean 'they')

This is something I would like an definitive answer on, I would appreciate it if one of the Garda that frequents this board could answer it.

Do the Gardai have the power to stop a person in a foreign registered car and arrest them and impound the car if they are unable or unwilling to pay the fine.

I remember when I was just starting driving I was told storys abotu Northern drivers being held as they could not pay a fine or supply a verifiable Southern address.

If they do have the power to do it why do they not?

MrP

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

AFAIK, the Garda can impound the car if they've valid reason, and somewhere to put it.

What happened to
    MrP

MrP
    just a phase??

Also MrP, whats FNWAI - please excuse my ignorance :)

Advertisement