Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Choosing a car to import from the UK- help wanted!

Options
  • 07-12-2006 12:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I am changing my car in January and have decided on going down the route of importing from the UK. My budget is c.€25k to include VRT and I have gotten down to a shortlist of the following:

1. 2005/06 VW Passat 1.9TDI new model
    2. 2005/06 Skoda Superb 1.9 TDI
    3. 2003 BMW 520i (E60 version)
    4. 2004 Saab 9-3 Aero 210bhp

Anyone any specific experience on these cars/comments or any other suggestions. Only criteria for other suggestions is similar in size to the above, no bigger than a 2.2 engine or older than 2004!

Thanks,
    BF

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

bf wrote:
    Hi,

I am changing my car in January and have decided on going down the route of importing from the UK. My budget is c.€25k to include VRT and I have gotten down to a shortlist of the following:

1. 2005/06 VW Passat 1.9TDI new model
    2. 2005/06 Skoda Superb 1.9 TDI
    3. 2003 BMW 520i (E60 version)
    4. 2004 Saab 9-3 Aero 210bhp

Anyone any specific experience on these cars/comments or any other suggestions. Only criteria for other suggestions is similar in size to the above, no bigger than a 2.2 engine or older than 2004!

Thanks,
    BF

I would add the Honda Accord 2.2 diesel to that list. Should be able to get a 2004 at least on your budget over there. They are very well equipped with leather, cruise control, climate control, etc as standard. The 2.2 diesel is also one of the smothest and quitest around with good fuel economy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

Ill second Bazz there.

Ford Mondeo TDCi 130bhp Platinmum model.

Leather cruise control alloys etc.

www.fow.co.uk

These guys are good I highly recommend them.

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭bf

Thanks guys ill look into the accord diesel - drove the 2litre petrol before but wasnt overly impressed with it - maybe the diesel is a lot better

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭tvr

the 2006 mondeo 1.8 lx are dirt cheap over there , check motorpoint and the rest you can get one with 13000 miles for about 17500 euro including vrt.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

tvr wrote:
    the 2006 mondeo 1.8 lx are dirt cheap over there , check motorpoint and the rest you can get one with 13000 miles for about 17500 euro including vrt.

If going down the Mondeo route I would avoid the basic 1.8 LX.

I would go for the better engined and equipped 1.8 litre 130bhp Ghia, 2.0 litre 130bhp TDCi Titanium X or the brilliant 2.2 litre 150bhp TDCi ST220 models.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

Out of your list I would go for the Saab Aero 210bhp

... I personally would have myself an audi S4 99/00 - the 2.7 biturbo engined one.

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭bf

The Mondeo is not an option for me, nice car but depreciates too quickly and too many of them about.

C-Breeze i would love an S4 but insurance rules it out!

Advertisement