Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

rs-232 serial interface in labs?

Options
  • 07-12-2006 1:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭

I need to connect a device through RS-232 serial interface in UCD labs. Do any computers in UCD labs have RS-232 connection? My desktop and laptop at home is too new to still have RS-232...

Thanks alot

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

That's just your standard serial port isn't it? I'd be surprised if most of them didn't have one.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭generalmiaow

Most of them do alright, though hardware permissions is the thing. What is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭flodis79

Most of them do alright, though hardware permissions is the thing. What is it?

A sim card reader so I can copy all numbers from the sim to a computerized file. Will it allow me to install software that controls com ports?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Prob not. And I say the newer desktops don't have serial ports either.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Most should, if not you can buy a USB to serial converter which emulates a COM Port.

The control software could be tricky, you might have problems installing the drivers for the USB adapter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭generalmiaow

I suppose if you're totally stuck and you're only doing it once you could ask a friend with a laptop, a good deal of the laptops in UCD still have serial ports. (dell inspirons 2 or more years old for instance) The machines really don't let you use any hardware that need drivers, I have had trouble even using some non-standard USB drives on some of the machines.

I suppose if you're totally stuck and you're only doing it once you could ask a friend with a laptop, a good deal of the laptops in UCD still have serial ports. (dell inspirons 2 or more years old for instance) The machines really don't let you use any hardware that need drivers, I have had trouble even using some non-standard USB drives on some of the machines.

Thanks for the advice. However, this sim reader doesn't need any drivers, only a GUI software when where you manage the sim entries. Guess it's 50/50 if it works - well, will give it a try anyway.

It didn't work.. If I borrow a laptop of short-term in the it centres, will they have laptops with serial port?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Could be wrong here, but I think the laptops that are available to borrow are the newer dell ones and therefore don't have a serial port.

You might find it easier to go buy a USB Sim Card reader then trying to get this one working tbh.

Thanks for this! Wil buy a new sim reader instead!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

the newer dell latitudes have them still, i have a brand new D620 and it has a serial port on it. I'd imagine therefore most quinn school laptops would have one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭themole

the cheaper option may be to buy and RS232 to usb cable

Advertisement