Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Fixed Charge Offence

Options
  • 07-12-2006 2:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Need a bit of advice

Was stopped the other week for no tax on the car, which has since been paid.

Received a Fixed Charge Offence today for the alleged offence of Non Display of Tax.

There are some details on the letter which are incorrect. The registration of my car is incorrect and also the time and date of when I was stopped is incorrect. The date is 4 days later than when I was stopped and the time was completly incorrect

Where do I stand on this?

The fine is €60 which isnt too bad but my question is can I appeal this handy enough as the information is completly wrong and I doubt it would stand up in court.

If its going to cost me more than €60 to appeal then I'll just pay the fine

Any advice appreciated

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

Had you taxed your car the day you got stopped you would have been able to get the ticket squashed. Other than that, you probably will be able to fight and win against the ticket because the wrong reg. on the ticket.
    But if you wish to fight becasuse the ticket date is wrong, you would have to prove you were not in the area when the ticket was issued.

If it was me, I would just pay the fine and be done with it. Less hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Manic...

Had you taxed your car the day you got stopped you would have been able to get the ticket squashed. Other than that, you probably will be able to fight and win against the ticket because the wrong reg. on the ticket.
    But if you wish to fight becasuse the ticket date is wrong, you would have to prove you were not in the area when the ticket was issued.

If it was me, I would just pay the fine and be done with it. Less hassle.

It wasnt taxed when I was stopped but I've paid it since and back dated it.

Will it cost me anything to appeal it if it will I'm of the opinion I'll just pay the €60 and be done with it

I can easily prove I wasnt in the area at the time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

You are being fined for "non display of a tax disc" not "driving without tax" so whether you have tax on the car on the day or made a backdated payment is incidental: you can't have been displaying a tax disc you hadn't got on the day.

You got caught for a minor offence, no biggie, if I were you I would just pay it and be more careful in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Manic... wrote:
    It wasnt taxed when I was stopped but I've paid it since and back dated it.

Will it cost me anything to appeal it if it will I'm of the opinion I'll just pay the €60 and be done with it

I can easily prove I wasnt in the area at the time

If the reg is wrong then you are not liable. When they ask you whether you own a car reg no xyz, say "no". End of...

You could also bring the notice to the fines' office and tell them you don't own the car with said reg, and they should quash the notice, so you don't have to take the time to go to court.

I went to court on an unpaid parking offence and the traffic warden gave his evidence:

"On the day and date in question the car reg no xyz..."

Judge: Say what?
    Warden: car no xy...em z, I think
    Judge: That's not what I have here. You can't even read your own handwriting. You're wasting the courts' time, and this gentleman's. Case dismissed.

The poor warden got a right bollocking from the clerk of the court, who was a Garda Sergeant, for wasting court time!

Advertisement