Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

monitor problems

Options
  • 07-12-2006 3:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭

i have a Philips 190s5 LCD
    worked before i put my drivers for my x1950pro on
    But now it boots okay but once it gets to the xp screen just before it actually gets to the logon screen i loose picture and it says "novideo input"
    Comp works fine with this old CRT i have without changing anything
    Any suggestions

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Moving to graphics.

Boot into safe mode with the LCD display attached it should work and allow you to access the desktop.

Go into the device manager look for monitors section and then uninstall any devices that are listed under it. Now reboot windows and boot straight to the desktop if all went well it should display the regular desktop.

(I assume you are using the DVI connection)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭Mojito

Reconnect your old monitor and try turning the resolution and refresh rate down. Hook up your new monitor and it should work fine, then set to your monitors new refresh rates and res.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭DanGerMus

Hey guys i've tried all of the above with no success. had tried some already and even tried em again. Tried installing new monitor drivers too didnt work.
    Actually its a d-sub(i think thats what u call it isnt it, anyway the old blue one) with an adapter for the cards dvi out. It worked without new drivers so i'm gonna see if uninstalling them will work. i've got today off so i'm gonna try get it up n running asap.

It's just regular VGA through a DVI adapter, well if getting rid of the monitor drivers in safe mode didn't fix it then the next item I would try is uninstalling the graphics card driver.

Once that has been done boot into safe mode and run driver cleaner & remove any ATI remnants. Now boot into Windows with the new display attached hopefully it should get to the desktop and start the add new hardware wizard.

Dismiss the wizard and run ATI's driver installer and cross your fingers on the next reboot all is working.

(Also on the off chance the DVI adapter should be on DVI port 1 which if standing behind the PC looking straight at the two ports is the one on your left)

well i tried uninstalling drivers and it booted up fine with the lcd. installed drivers from the disc that came with the card and it went fine until reboot(same as before). then booted with Crt it runs fine. uninstalled those drivers and reinstalled newer drivers same story. Just so you know the PC is booting all the way(i can hear the windows jinggle thingy from my speakers) because i can just unattach the lcd and attach the crt (without rebooting) and use the comp as usual i. havent tried the driver clean thing ( didnt know about it)also i have some old winfast drivers in my add/remove programmes menu that will not remove, possible conflict maybe? I'm considering a clean install and infact would prefer this but i want all the files on my HD(it's ide)Might just buy a new SATA2 drive and install on that and maybe a clean install will be better. PS this is definatly a monitor related problem cos crt works just fine with latest drivers.

• Advertisement

well i tried uninstalling drivers and it booted up fine with the lcd. installed drivers from the disc that came with the card and it went fine until reboot(same as before). then booted with Crt it runs fine. uninstalled those drivers and reinstalled newer drivers same story. Just so you know the PC is booting all the way(i can hear the windows jinggle thingy from my speakers) because i can just unattach the lcd and attach the crt (without rebooting) and use the comp as usual i. havent tried the driver clean thing ( didnt know about it)also i have some old winfast drivers in my add/remove programmes menu that will not remove, possible conflict maybe? I'm considering a clean install and infact would prefer this but i want all the files on my HD(it's ide)Might just buy a new SATA2 drive and install on that and maybe a clean install will be better. PS this is definatly a monitor related problem cos crt works just fine with latest drivers.

Well drivercleaner will remove any left over bits of a graphics card driver so it is worth a try at least.

Quite unusual problem all the normal solutions have failed, on some weird chance try borrowing/replacing if you can the VGA-DVI adapter or test the display on a friends system to see if it works on other graphics cards.

Hey how do i get to the windows driver cleaner. i downloaded a driver cleaner doesnt seem to have done the job.
    Tried other vga-dvi adapters that work with oter monitors with no luck. it's very wierd cos it works with no drivers but when i install the new one it doesnt. also now after install the new drivers (i'm just using crt) computer is crashing when i try to access the advanced display settings. and i've got the BSOD now 2 or 3 times, so really looking like i'll have to do clean install on a new drive.

Not sure what's up with DriverCleaner the free version is no longer available on the main site (which is why I linked to the copy on MajorGeeks) but usually you select the ATI or NVIDIA profile and it scans for driver bits and removes them.

It's best to uninstall the drivers beforehand through add/remove control panel.

Sounds like it is messed up maybe it is time for a clean install :(

WEll guess what i did a completely new clean install. all went swimmingly and then i installed the ATI display drivers and the exact same problem. so i guess that rules out driver conflicts or problems with my PC. I guess it's just ATI's undertested DRIVERs arent they famous for it now... i suppose i'll just have to wait til they solve it in their next release or maybe find a third party software? CRT will have to suffice cos i cant afford a new Monitor.

• Advertisement

Well that is surprising :eek:

I found the link to the manual online in the LCD's OSD there may be presets for certain resolutions try 1280x1024 at 60Hz or 1280x1024 at 75hz to see it it makes a difference.

If they are not there well not much we can do about that.

One other item the CD that came with the display should contain a monitor driver lcd\pc\drivers basically an .inf that holds all the resolutions that the display supports instead of having Windows detect them.

You could install the .inf and it just might do the trick hopefully. It's the same as updating any regular old driver just go into the device manager and manually update the monitors driver.

Yeah i tried that by putting the settings to 1280x1024 @ 60hz with the crt and then restarting the pc with the LCD and the same thing happended. but when i put the crt on the res and colour have been changed to lowest settings. tried with 75hz also and got same problem. i stuck my issue up on the Sapphire forum and they said they have not enough info on the lcd and the guy said it might be something to do with the refresh rates being incompatible but he said he was just guessing.

well call it a eure then. I've figured out whats wrong but i have no idea how to fix it basically it seems that my card i reading my monitor as a Digital monitor but it has a VGA input and no DVI. And so it sends a digital signal that my Monitor is unable to use properly. So what i need to know is how to tell my card to send a VGA signal. i know it will work cos if i start with CRT and then just swap the leads with the LCD and dont let Catalyst auto detect then i get a picture on the LCD. woohoo. But when i restart it goes back to no video. there must be some kind of Profile in Catalyst that i can edit.

Interesting but there is a problem in that the DVI-I of the X1950 Pro outputs two kinds of signals;

DVI-D - digital signal this is what you get with a DVI display.
    DVI-A - this is basically an analogue signal over DVI cable.

DVI-A gets turned into VGA through those adapters and that's what comes out on the monitor.

How is your DVI to VGA adapter wired as I have seen more than one with different pin-out's does it look like this which is the DVI-A to VGA adapter.

Not sure how to about fixing it really but one longshot is this DVI to VGA cable from Lindy.

It sound like Philips are the one at fault providing the wrong signal info to the X1950 Pro.

Other suggestions;
    Try the Omega drivers
    Only install the ATI display driver package minus the CCC & see if that works if it does you can use ATI Tray tools as the control panel.
    In the CCC when you have done the hot swap between displays go into the "display options" section and set it to manual detection only now try creating a profile using the profile manager and get it to save the current settings from the "display manager" & display options" then activate & close.

Of course if you get no picture at bios post with the LCD attached then messing with drivers isn't going to do you any good as the problem is at a lower level (edit forgot you do get post).

well i have one of the first things there it's just an adapter for the end of the normal VGA cable. i still get post and bios all the way up to XP load screen with LCD it just goes as the ATI drivers load i'm guessing. i dont think an adapter will help though as it's the DDC recogniseing my monitor incorrectly and making the card output digital. i've tried messing around with Catalyst but it doesn't have a way to switch between VGA and DVI output manually not that i can see anyway.

Still sounds like the Philips display is at fault here to me at least. I cant find any other occurrences of this kind of problem with X1950 cards.

Try the standalone ATI driver minus the Catalyst Control Centre as that would be the best workaround if it works.

I take it you have tried the new Catalyst 6.12 drivers.

Running out of any other ideas but you could try forcing a resolution with powerstrip which would load on startup.

Another longshot go to this link input your model number
    you will see some variations of the 190S5 come back pick yours then you will find XP drivers and smart control software which might be worth installing to see if it uses some custom driver for the display (for example my NEC display does this with it's naviset software).

{can you return the Philips display ?}

hey ive tried all that accept the powerstrip thing but i dont think it would help as it's not a resolution problem. i Still thinks it is being recognised incorrectly by the ati drivers. the monitor works on the other pc at home and is recognised properly the pc sees it as philips190s VGA with the drivers from the philips site. these drivers didnt help my problem with the new setup though.

Oh well I'm afraid that me out of ideas :(

On that Philips site you could check for a tech support contact and email them your problem you might get lucky and someone will actually reply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

I think this might be useful....... I had a root around and it seems you can't force an analog output, but you can stop the card autodetecting the monitor. See the reply on this page.

http://www.rage3d.com/board/archive/index.php?t-33844840.html

Advertisement