Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problems with a curtain rail in Chile

Options
  • 07-12-2006 3:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hiya, long time listener first time caller here!

I am living in Chile for the next 6 months and i have had a crisis. I am terrible at DIY and refer whenever i ahve a problem, usually searching helps me out.

My Curtain rail has fallen down, ripping the raw plug out of the wall and leaving a hole.

I do not want to bother my landlord who will probably refuse to give me my deposit back if there are any probs, so... what do i do?

I guess i need some kinda of filler, but whats best, and what available internationally (if poss)

also any tips.? i am a complete klutz

Guy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

tricky one. it really depends on the wall. Unless this happened as a result of abuse, I would be inclined to call the landlord and complain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 guycross

tricky one. it really depends on the wall. Unless this happened as a result of abuse, I would be inclined to call the landlord and complain.

Yeah, but i am not in England! I am a property manager in the UK and know the law, but in Chile things dont work the same way, the rail fell because of wear and tear, but here if the landlord has to dip into his pocket for any repairs, especially for a gringo like myself, i would be unlikely to get any deposit back...

I only have a few months on my tenancy left you see, it isnt worth it.

The wall is kinda dry white powder, it is in a modern apartment block!

Hope that helps

Guy

• Registered Users Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

If this is a plasterboard wall, I would steer clear to be honest. If the board is at all broken, it's lost some of its strength and it will be difficult to get a strong fixing on it again at that place.

The way to deal with this is to move the whole rail, or at least the brackets if they move on the rail, an inch or two up or down and refix it, using the best fixing you can get. I would use something like this: http://www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects/fixingtoplasterboard.htm although I would prefer the plastic version of the plug if I could get it. You will need a small drill to put these up.

If you don't have the bits and pieces, do not attempt this, you will turn a loose plug into a big hole in the plasterboard. You don't want this, really.

You can get filling stuff that goes really hard to make a repair in these situations, and it might work with a plastered brick wall, but I can't see it working on plasterboard, though I could be wrong. Also, it might be difficult to get this internationally. There may be a traditional alternative to these products, I don't really know.

Advertisement