Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overclockers problem

Options
  • 07-12-2006 4:29pm
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 933 ✭✭✭

Dear Sir/Madam

I very recently bought the following piece of hardware for a computer. http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MB-064-GI

Before I go into details, my problem is that the part I bought, based on the specifications provided on that page, does not do the job it was supposed to do because they omitted a vital piece of information. After learning of this when I got it and realised it didn't do as it was supposed to, I rang them asking for a replacement part of the same value that actually did what the initial part should have. They refused to take it back for a refund as I had plugged it into my pc therefore it was not an unwanted item, because it had been used. How exactly was I supposed to realise it wasn't working as it was supposed to without plugging it in? They refused to exchange it for a part of equal value as they said it was the consumer's responsibility to know what they are buying.

Now the details:

The pc part I bought if you click on the link above was a Gigabyte GA_945PL_S3 motherboard. If you click on that link the vital piece of information here is where is says the following

"Support Intel® next generation Core™2 Duo"

Core2Duo is a processor type that runs at a speed of 1066Mhz. I realised the problem when I looked for information on the website of the actualy manufacturer of the part in question. You can see this page here http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/Motherboard/Products_Overview.aspx?ProductID=2325&ModelName=GA-945PL-S3

In bright red text on this page you can see the following. * Due to 945PL express chipset specification, 945PL-S3 can only support up to FSB800MHz.

They mark in red because it is the single most important information about any motherboard which is going to run a Core2Duo processor. The website I bought it from does not show this on the product page. So basically, I ended up buying a motherboard which is not capable of running higher than 800mhz for a processor which needs 1066Mhz to run properly. I told them on the phone they were being misleading with their information which was the reason I bought it but to no avail.

Where should I go from here because regardless of how many times I ring, they hang up on me and just tell me the conversation is going nowhere.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Mark Byrne

You need to contact the European Consumer Centre WWW.ECCDUBLIN.IE
    They will then contact the company you purchased the item from directly on your behalf.
    Good luck,

regards,
    Mark.

PS. ****e company in that they knew they mislead you and refuse to give a refund.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 933 ✭✭✭dardoz

well, I contacted EECDublin and they send me an autoresponse saying they will respond to me properly within the next 25 working days unless they are busy in which case it would be longer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Mark Byrne

I had to contact them before, only a few months ago as it happens. Got the same automated response, however I received a proper reply within a week. You may get more joy if you phoned them, I never needed to go that route myself.
    Best of luck though, let's know if they can sort it out for you, as in the end I didn't actually need to use them as the company I ordered from eventually coughed up,

regards,
    Mark.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 933 ✭✭✭dardoz

A friend of mine told me to get my CC company to take the money back and then they can hassle them about it. Only problem is, I bought some other things on the same order which I dont want to send back. I'm not sure if I can just cancel the amount I paid for the board. Or do I have to cancel the whiole transaction. I'll find out 2moro I guess

Advertisement