Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Locating a hidden alarm wire

Options
  • 07-12-2006 5:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 48

An alarm wire was stuffed up into the wall when a window was removed to provide access to the new conservatory. It must be open circuit as the newly connected alarm shows it open. I don't think there's a voltage in it, so the voltage/wire detector doesn't find it. Added problem of metal behind plasterboard. I suppose I could put 12volts through it from alarm panel and then try. Anyone any other suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Beach Head

Try to locate it in the above room or the previous sensor on the circuit that the cable is coming from.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Jnealon

A tone generator might work. I have had success with these before

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 matty2003

I've used them before for faultfainding receivers, but don't you need an oscilloscope to read the output? Or is this a different kind of tone generator?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Jnealon

no need for a scope. Something like this will do it Clicky

Advertisement