Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Urgent traffic notice for city centre

Options
  • 07-12-2006 5:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭

URGENT TRAFFIC NOTICE
    MAJOR TRAFFIC CONGESTION
    LIMERICK CITY

7th December, 2006. 2.30 pm

Limerick City Council and the Garda Siochanna wish to advise of very serious traffic congestion in Limerick City Centre.

This congestion is due to the emergency road closure of Lower Mallow Street between Henry Street and the Shannon Bridge Roundabout.

This closure is effective immediately and will remain until further notice.

Motorists are strongly advised to avoid the following areas until further notice if possible.

" Dock Road
    " Shannon Bridge
    " Henry Street
    " O'Connell street
    " The Quays

Motorists and road users can expect delays in excess of one hour and should avoid the above locations and the City Centre until 8.00pm.

Please announce immediately.

Rory McDermott
    Roads & Traffic

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭dv

http://www.rte.ie/news/2006/1207/weather.html

Apparently Howley's Quay is closed aswell. Thank God I'm at home...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

Just got back from town, its absolutely chaotic in there, every traffic light in the city is flashing amber, its absolutely madness!

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Oddly enough, I got home quicker then ever. Then again I did leave 15 minutes early when I heard about the road closures. It probably also helped that I was coming down clare street and over through thomandgate.

I hear that steel cladding was coming off one of the building sites and debris was causing a hazard. I'm supposed to be having a work meal in the Clarion tonight!

the glass from the riverpoint construction got smashed in from the wind, its all over howleys quay and thats why the whole city is going nuts,

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭rok

heading to town later, how is the Traffic now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Apparently the reason mallow street is closed is because the crane on te foreign affairs building site was swaying dangerously this afternoon and it was thought it could fall over.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

the glass from the riverpoint construction got smashed in from the wind, its all over howleys quay and thats why the whole city is going nuts,
    I remember when they were building it they were saying that the glass was top of the range
    irony is a bitch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭limerick_man

No, not the Riverpoint Tower, this is the glass for the building that is currently going up as part of that project. Only construction sites in the city were affected!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Evo9

AA wrote:
    Lower Mallow St between Henry St and the Shannon Bridge Roundabout will remain closed until at least 12 noon on Friday 8th of December.

The weather calmed down alot now, hopefully the roads will be open sooner.

No, not the Riverpoint Tower, this is the glass for the building that is currently going up as part of that project. Only construction sites in the city were affected!!

I said riverpoint CONSTRUCTION.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭BobTheBeat

Actually travelled home just before 6 and the roads were empty. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭dv

Yeah, everything I've heard suggests that traffic yesterday evening was better than ever.

We should have emergencies more often...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭limerick_man

I said riverpoint CONSTRUCTION.
    i was replying to 1huge1

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

^^ yup thanks for that btw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I was in Limerick yesterday (about 2.30) coming from the west along the South Circular road (I think its called), reached the back of queue of cars waiting to turn left down past Jurys (I thought!) saw it was'nt moving so u-turned and went down onto the Dock rd truning left as I could'nt right turn at that junction, swung a u-turn and back to the roundabout where I saw the tape across the raod and a couple of cops as I went on my buisness out the Ennis road/via N19.

Then I made my way to Castletroy - which was great cos all the lights were flashing amber the traffic moved a treat. May I suggest this system be used all the time from now on!

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

I only saw pedestrian lights working between castletroy and the union cross yesterday, everything else was flashing amber or red. But I got home in quick march time. at 4.30pm from UL to Ennis road in 15 mins - it was like winning the lotto. Then I left the car at home to get to work for 6, walked to town in the battering wind and drizzle and there wasn't a sign of a car stopped anywhere along the way.

The traffic for Coonagh Roundabout was at the Maternity at 6 lastnight though!!!

Advertisement