Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dell again ... wits end. :/

Options
  • 07-12-2006 6:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭

My earlier thread on Dell I thought the issue was device drivers because of the stop codes.

It wasn't. There was something wrong with the machine. Getting numerous various stop codes. After going through every step on the Dell site for the issues it finally comes down to contact Dell.

I contact dell who then make me repeat every step again, despite me explaining I had done it already. I humour them and eventually get them telling me there is a problem with a memory card (I don't think there is as the Stops are all over the shop).

Anyway a few days later an engineer replaces the motherboard and one memory card and leaves. Tells me the system is working. I reinstall windows again from scratch and install the dell drivers. I leave the machine for a couple of hours and it crashes again and again and again.

[around this time they hit me up for extended warranty on my laptop]

I send an update to the case saying the problem is still persisting. Website says 1 day return call.

No response after 2 days. so I do another case call update.

2 days later no update so at this point I do another case call update and tell them if they don't respond within one day I'll cancel the extended warranty I just purchased as Tech Support are seriously p!ssing off at this stage.

Still no response by the following week so I ring them. I get an engineer who, yep you guessed it started it all from step one again. I explain that I am not going to do all these steps again, support can do it because I can't be assed sitting in front of a non-working PC which there is already a case opened for. Guy still asks me to run the tests.

I run the tests and follow up with him and now hes we need to replace something else. I tell him I want them to take the machine and fix it and confirm its fixed.

Tells me he will get back to me in 10 mins. Gets back and says hes arranging a pickup and asks some details and then says he will ring back in 10 mins.

2 hours later looks like he isn't ringing back. So I ring support again and get another engineer.

Again I have explain totally from scratch again and this guy even starting off on the phone was a bit rude before I began. Completely civil to him I explained what the other engineer was doing and he says he will check up and goes on about how wants me to run tests or something as he hangs up on me mid conversation.

He proceeds to do that 2 more times.

At this point I am beyond pissed at this stage. The calm stage. Meanwhile the guy who I can only assume just lost his commission on my extended warranty is also kicking people to respond.

I ring back the following day. I can only assume I got a misrouted call or something because I am no longer speaking to an Indian call center, sounds American.

Totally different attitude! didn't ask me to repeat everything over and over, in case she mentions she is reading the case file so is fully aware of what had progressed to that point. Understood I was upset when tests where suggested and completely defused the situation.

She explains to me that the last guy never actually arranged the pick up of the machine and arranged it. I explained that the machine crashes only if left running for some time. She sets up the pickup in about 30 mins total (after other discussion).

Still not resolved yet but the level of support by that one person was totally on a different plateau compared to what I have gotten to date.

So Machine goes in for repair. They replace the hard drive and the processor, but makes no note of them testing it running it for a long time.

Set up the machine. Install only firefox and adobe reader and the Dell wireless network card. Runs for about 4 hours and then crashes again.

So now I've been onto support again and they tell me to reformat the machine to windows only, unplug everything and let it run idle. In the space of 3 days it crashes 5 times while idle (would of crashed more if I bothered to look at it often).

I explain this to support who ask me to do it again only install Dell drivers for everything. Like that matters to be honest as one of the crashes was while installing windows.

So I humour them again however today I can't even install windows as it keeps crashing while installing. I can only assume it is because the machine has been on for so long.

At one point mid-install it kept rebooting over and over. I had to switch it off for 5 mins before it would reboot again and came up with an error in Ithr checkpoint and tells me to contact Dell.

So now I am up to this point. I've explained that while I will humour support and try to install windows and drivers however at this point I don't want to be messing around with a machine that is broken I want a replacement machine (same spec, fully working) or a refund.

This is coming up on 5 weeks not working so I don't see this as unreasonable. I paid a lot of money for the machine I expect it to work without any faults. I also have another dimension machine which is working fine, same spec bought at the same time.

Question is what happens if they say no. What is the next step?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

small claims court, not fit for the purpose is it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

You can do it online if you are in one of the areas listed here

It should be ok as long as the laptop was under €2k.

You will find the dell will probably come running with a replacement once they get notice from the SCC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 vgulch

Hi. I'm searching very cheap lapptop.

Don't you want to sell your laptop?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭HelterSkelter

Hi Hobbes,

I never saw your original post but is this a new laptop? If so then why are you arseing around with their support desk. Get on to them and tell them that you are entitled to a full refund or replacement (and it's your choice which to choose, not theirs) under the Sale of Goods and Supply of Services Act, 1980 (http://www.odca.ie/cfmdocs/documents/docs2.cfm?article_no=5994) as the laptop is faulty. If they don't agree then go straight to the Small Claims Court.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Tony H

Hi Hobbes i had a similar problem with an inspiron 6400 , and after replacing memory and a trip back to dell for "repair" i ended up with a laptop that would not even boot up after it was "repaired" , i got a new replacment after finally getting on to the tech support manager in india , i can give you his email if thats any help

• Advertisement
Advertisement