Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Opinions on Department of Social Welfare?

• 07-12-2006 7:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭

Has anyone else felt aggrieved by the lack of communication skills and/or efficency by the "Department of Social and Family Affairs"?. Feel that there's three times as many people employed there as need be, my friend says that Civil Servants they themselves were given jobs to massage the unemployment statistics. Perhaps that's harsh but either way I find them cold, often rude and very posess very poor communication skills. Was just wondering whether other people have any views on governmental departments? Alan

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

I recently made an inquiry regarding tax forms to my former (and much loved...) employer, leaving a voicemail message with my details etc... I got a note by return with the answer THE NEXT DAY.

Now thats fast...........

Social welfare can take 2-3 weeks to reply, but I have found them always courteous and easy to deal with and they will backdate and make up for delays with no problem.

Tax office can take up to 10 weeks and longer to respond and are very inaccessable. I was handling inquiries for my sister and was told it took that long for her to get a rebate on overpaid tax.

Government need to look at updating the speed of response and timeliness of their operations especially if they are to engage in "Public/Private partnerships".

If they move at the same speed as in Welfare and taxes they will be eaten alive by the private sector.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I've only dealt with Social Welfare once and it took 9 weeks to process a dole claim.
    Don't know if any other posters could wait 9 weeks for a claim to go through, man it was tough.
    I was just one week short to be able to claim Unemployment Benefit (think the name has changed) and the interviewer treated me as scum of the earth, realy condesending :mad:
    I had "signed off" before I'd even got a cent. Must have paid that money back a hundred times over by now with my monthly €1,000 plus tax rapings.

I've found Revenue excellent. The call centres are very helpful and can answer most questions. Once had a problem and the Executive Officer gave me his direct extension and was told to call directly with any issues, fair play!

I got my P21 balancing statments when I was looking to claim overpaid tax for three years in around 10 days.

I've not used Revenue Online (ROS) but it seems a good idea and most companies do their returns online these days. Revenue seem to be modernizing and moving with the times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

It's a very large Department that gives out, rather than makes, money. Maybe the fact that it consists of 70% women could make it so bad :p.
    Also, it has the highest numbers attending stress management courses in the Civil Service.
    The condescending ones doing the interviews are called Inspectors.
    Most Civil Servants would never work in that Department - particularly in a dole office.
    The main problem with the dole offices is that a lot of workers workshare and only come in a few days a week. There's also a shortage of staff due to sick leave and people refusing to work there.
    Hence the delays in processing claims.
    Also, there's a lack of standardisation of information given out to customers.
    Some staff will tell you one thing while others will tell you differently.
    They make a big deal in that Department about customer service so
    if you have a problem with the way you (or your claim) was treated then complete a complaints form:
    http://www.welfare.ie/forms/cscom_en.doc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭BolBill

Nolanger wrote: »
    It's a very large Department that gives out, rather than makes, money. Maybe the fact that it consists of 70% women could make it so bad :p.
    Also, it has the highest numbers attending stress management courses in the Civil Service.
    The condescending ones doing the interviews are called Inspectors.
    Most Civil Servants would never work in that Department - particularly in a dole office.
    The main problem with the dole offices is that a lot of workers workshare and only come in a few days a week. There's also a shortage of staff due to sick leave and people refusing to work there.
    Hence the delays in processing claims.
    Also, there's a lack of standardisation of information given out to customers.
    Some staff will tell you one thing while others will tell you differently.
    They make a big deal in that Department about customer service so
    if you have a problem with the way you (or your claim) was treated then complete a complaints form:
    http://www.welfare.ie/forms/cscom_en.doc

Up to a few years ago it was run by old women who would not move with the times.

Things have changed for the better.

You also dont really have a choice whether to work in a dole office so I dont know what you are talking about there. Social Welfare is a great place to work but only when you leave :) Its character building !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭uoluol

Having worked in Social Welfare "dole" offices, I can confirm it is very difficult and pressurised. There is a constant shortage of staff, and it feels like there is very little support from top management. There has recently been huge increases in the unemployment figures, I know of one office which has a backlog of 1000 claims to process - and all with no extra resources. Dealing with non - nationals is also difficult, as there are language difficulties and it takes so much longer to deal with the query or claim. Regulations are constantly changing, and many make absolutely no sense and are open to different interpretations. It is a very underfunded department, some offices only got equipped with PCs before Christmas! And most staff do not have external e-mail. Another office that I know of does not have enough phones for all staff!

When I first started working in a Welfare office, I was expected to deal with customers on my second day - even though I had been given no training! I also worked in different areas of the department and can verify that to work in a non public office is so much easier.

Dole offices are most definitely not overstaffed - it may seem that way when you see empty hatches and people working in the background. But these staff are working on the maintenance and authorisation of claims, all of which are just as important.

I have rarely come across colleagues who were rude, and those who where usually moved on fairly quickly. The vast majority are helpful and courteous. If you feel you have been unfairly treated you most definitely should complain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭messinkiapina

They have completely stopped answering their phones at the hanover street office in Cork. What a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭crl84

a joke of an organisation tbh. i've had no problems with the people in the offices, who mostly seem to be quite helpful, it's the behind the scenes lot that are a mess as far as I can tell.

very hard to find clear and concise information.
    seemingly ridiculous structure.
    seems like chaos within the department, nobody seems to know what's going on.

a quick example of how disorganised they seem to be:

i applied for JSA almost 11 weeks ago.
    have yet to hear back regarding a means test interview (i was only made aware that there would be someone coming to my house through posts on here, including someone who applied a few weeks ago and has already had theirs).
    about 5 weeks ago, the Child Benefit office sent a letter to my rented accomodation, addressed to my mother.
    my mother doesn't live with me, on my application I clearly stated that I was living with 3 housemates.
    as I had only recently moved into the house when I applied, and have never given that address to any type of government body previously, it seems that:
    - my application has been looked at/processed for at least 5 weeks
    - there is still no sign of any contact or information regarding the status of my claim
    - the Dept. of SW has somehow managed to inexplicably deduce that my clearly stated rental accomodation shared with non-family members, is now my family home.
    - updated Dept. of SW records to show that my family lives there.
    - these records have then been used by the Child Benefit section to inform my mother of an issue from last September (a missed payment collection for my youngest brother), of which she has never been contacted previously, despite living in the same family home for the last 25 years.

Try phoning the Pensions section in Sligo :p
    Loved the way they solved the backlogs in claims problem by hiring more staff - nothing to do with poor organisation or general inefficientcy :rolleyes:.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭dresden8

Try dealing with a large number of junkies, gangsters and terrorists.

Oh the joy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭messinkiapina

dresden8 wrote: »

Oh the joy.

I know it must be a tough job to work in the social welfare offices but there are also a majority of decent genuine people who are trying to negotiate a system which simply does not work. If they can't answer their phones there is something seriously wrong. Even chorus technical support answer the phone eventually.

• Advertisement

dresden8 wrote: »

Oh the joy.

Or customers on the RTE news for getting shot in pubs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Mollywolly

I was in Limerick SWO last week and although I had to wait a looooong time (3.5 hours) the girl I eventually dealt with was very sympathetic and dealt with me efficiently. She even apologised that there would be wait for the benefit to come through but made other suggestions instead. Thumbs up from me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 caeter

i work in a social welfare local office and its such a hard job but i have to say i love it there. the people i work with are generally very nice and very friendly to customers (can be exeptions of course like everywhere..). it can be awful though coz its a lose lose situation. people are having to wait a long time and take it out on you when you eventually get to serve them. its a very draining office to work in and very short staffed (ironic really coz now we need staff more than ever!). when started you get very little training and it can be very daunting for newcomers though the department do run developmental courses. its very hard on reception i feel sorry for the people on it because queues are out the door and if people dont want to queue they come up kicking and screaming (literally throwing things). it toughens ya up working there though and kinda makes you feel less sorry for yourself when see what others are going through. i always treat clients with respect and kindly and wouldnt dare look down my nose at them
    because i have many family and friends who have had to sign on recently and i also signed on myself a few years ago!
    all i can say to people who are treated rudely is to complain, there is a complaints procedure in place. but please understand its an extremely busy department lately and very stressful environment to work in, with really no extra staff (though how we'd love some!) so expect to be queing unfortunately. people you see in the background are those who are processing claims (some can take a very long time if complicated) or processing DB certs or Casual Dockets or maintaining payments, transfer of claims etc. unfortunately there is little time to relax in a local office!!
    if more people complain about queues and waiting times to get claims then maybe the government will hire people even temps.
    some phonelines can be difficult to get through but sometimes the best way of contact if cant get in person is a good old fashioned hand written letter!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

I've actually had almost nothing but positive experiences at the social welfare office.

When I signed on for the first time, I'd just left a job that had almost destroyed me. The inspector who interviewed me was very sympathetic and gave me so much hope. She was amazing. When I started work again I sent her a thank you card, she had that much of an impact on me. When I was in to sign on again recently, I saw that it had been photocopied and put into my file though, so I don't know if it makes me seem like a brown noser.

Anyway, even this time around, when they're up to their eyelids with claimants, I don't have any complaints about how I've been treated. Everyone has been courteous and even though there have been a couple of misunderstandings... I'm unemployed. I DO have all day, in fact :pac:

I suppose I'm just grateful.

Now, having posted a reply about how good they were at Limerick office in February, I have to say that my experience this week was confusing to say the least.

I was given conflicting information about how much notice they needed for me to fill out a holiday form (going on holiday next Friday) which meant that I made two 30 mile round trips and still have to go back with form next week.

What I don't understand is why I couldn't fill out the form while I was there on Wednesday. Perhaps someone who knows the system better than me could enlighten me because at the moment I'm a very confused bunny.

its not my dept but from what i know you have to be signing on for at least 2 weeks before can fill out a holiday form. just to save from ppl signing and doing a runner i think (although that be harder now since need to collect payments at postoffice and need i.d). the holiday form literally about 4 lines for you to fill out if a general holiday, you get two weeks a year. just need to know where your going and the dates and your signature, your payment will be there for you when you get back. i dont know, its not my office thank god can imagine how busy it is with Dell and that closing (im not up to date on the number of local offices in Limerick) but you should phone them up (if can get through) and ask them to post you the holiday form and send it back to them. explain you where in last wednesday and how you live miles away. if you are signing on (and possible awarded) for more than two weeks then really they should have given you the holiday form on wednesday...

Caeter, thanks for reply. I did manage to get them to give me a holiday form so that I could take it back next Thursday but I get the feeling that she really didn't want to give it to me. She wouldn't let me fill it out there and give it back to her though which I found very strange.

Can't wait till I get a job and I don't have to go there any more. God only knows what it's going to be like once the first crowd from Dell are let go next week - it's going to be hell on earth in there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

Limerick Local Office currently has approximately 3500 claims pending - i.e. waiting to be put into payment. That is not including the first batch from Dell (approx 250) and another company who is leaving 150 employees go this Friday.
    Once all of those are put into payment the signing on days are just going to be chaotic.
    As for the holiday form, you need to attend the office the day before you go to sign the form, and the day after you come back. That way they can verify you were actually away when you said you were. If she had left you sign it last week, who's to know if you were actually hopping on a flight the following day?

3500 pending??!!! oh my god thats really awful. authorising claims can take a pretty long time depending on the type (straight forward JB ok). god i can imagine the queues on the signing day then.. so far this week had to call gardaí over 5 times because of arguments and fights breaking out in the signing queues (ppl skipping queue) and because of ppl going mad because queues where too long and being abusive to staff. but all can say really is apologise to ppl waiting long and that there really is not enough staff to cope with demand in the local offices.
    the ones that where re-deployed from other departments dont know what has hit them. its a hard place to work at times (but better than being on the other side of the counter).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭IT Loser

I have to say that I will be reserving judgment until my means test has been concluded, and my pay has been passed on to me. After all, thats the long and the short of it, no??

Apart from that, I would have to say that my trip to the dole office on Thursday went as smoothly as I could have hoped it too. I showed up very early, and was gone within 20 minutes of being let in the door. The girl basically told me that the means-tester would be out in what she hoped would be 3 weeks and then payment would be 3 weeks following.

She did not attempt, at any point, to tell me I would be getting no money. There was no snide, judgmental behaviour. It was short and sweet and the girl went so far as to tell me that I would not be needing to submit proof of employment until 3 months after my claim went through.

Now, I thought this was all a little too easy. I really think she should have taken some of my painfully assembled proof off me that I was looking for work. Maybe she just wanted shut of me. But I didn't get that feeling. It was in-out.

If in 3 or 4 or 5 or 6 weeks time I get a visit from the means-tester and they are not so mean, and I get my payments, then I will be pretty happy with the whole thing.

Its worth saying that the Social Welfare office which is my local is in Bray, Co. Wicklow, its a banging new building which is part of the Meridian Center, which incorporates the District Court. Honestly, this building is finished better than my parents house.

I think it makes the people who work in it feel better, and get on better with the people who come in.

• Advertisement

cAr0l wrote: »
    Limerick Local Office currently has approximately 3500 claims pending - i.e. waiting to be put into payment. That is not including the first batch from Dell (approx 250) and another company who is leaving 150 employees go this Friday.
    Once all of those are put into payment the signing on days are just going to be chaotic.
    As for the holiday form, you need to attend the office the day before you go to sign the form, and the day after you come back. That way they can verify you were actually away when you said you were. If she had left you sign it last week, who's to know if you were actually hopping on a flight the following day?

Carol, thanks for your reply. I understand perfectly what you're saying about the form, perhaps my innocence and naivety got the better of me. After all, this is the first time I've ever had to claim benefit in 34 years of working so it's all very new to me and some of the procedures don't seem to make sense.

As all the Dell employees are let go and eventually join the queues, I'm sure that Limerick office will be hell on earth, not just for us unfortunates signing on but also for the staff behind the counter. Let's hope that everyone remembers that patience is a virtue and a little bit of courtesy goes a long way :)

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Lisie247

Filan wrote: »
    Has anyone else felt aggrieved by the lack of communication skills and/or efficency by the "Department of Social and Family Affairs"?. Feel that there's three times as many people employed there as need be, my friend says that Civil Servants they themselves were given jobs to massage the unemployment statistics. Perhaps that's harsh but either way I find them cold, often rude and very posess very poor communication skills. Was just wondering whether other people have any views on governmental departments? Alan

Your dead right- they have stopped answering the phone in Tallaght- full of rude staff who were so used to having it easy for years!! Its a joke- if your were in a shop and a staff member was completly rude to u im sure something would be said but god forbid public sector workers ever get into trouble!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭IT Loser

In the meantime, I am almost 2 weeks departed from my means, no communique from the Dole office yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭aingeal_croi

I have been waiting for Illness Benefit since 15th Janurary I rang up a TD and he has submitted a letter directly to the minister for response...just ridiculous!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭uoluol

Resurrected thread. :confused:

Are you sure it's an IB claim that is still pending? These are normally very straight forward, as they are based on your PRSI cons. They are normally put into payment after the submission of the third medical cert, so is it possible that you have not submitted all your certs?

I'm not sure if contacting your local TD will help, as with the current industrial action this will not give you any extra clout. You might be better of contacting IB section on (01) 679 7777 and finding out what exactly is causing the delay, or indeed writing to them yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Balasubbie

I do think that the only matter worse than having to attend a dole office is having to work in one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 228 ✭✭Goldenquick

My tuppence worth, I rang up one social welfare office with a query and she answered the phone with, "what", actually she shouted it out. :confused:

This lady actually put us on the wrong track and gave us completely wrong information, could have had serious consequences, I found out the information I wanted myself and went back and pointed it out to her. No apologies though.

p.s. I have to say though that our local one is excellent, they will answer any query & are always helpful, it is the offices in the bigger towns who seem to be rude, unhelpful and you generally get the feeling you are stealing the money out of their pockets!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Pot Noodle =

I liked the bit about understaffed and people on SICK Leave how many days of uncertified leave do they get again

Yes it is an IB claim, The hold up I found was the local office not providing the info required, I had my claim in since Janurary 15th Med certs were all up to date I checked what the hold up was this area was blaming that one and so forth. Sure I had to send the same form twice at one point!! My TD did a BRILLIANT job can not speak highly enough of him, so the embargo business although its making things slow with communication does not stop them from achieving things for the people. My first benefit payment went through today finally !!! YAY!! (thank the lord cant live on Spuds and beans for ever!)

• Advertisement

Oh My apologies to the more seasoned posters if I offended anyone with resurecting a thread!!! Christ.:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

Don't forget they're changing their name next week to Department of Social Protection!

Just another excuse for missing mail if I address it to the wrong name...heaven forbid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭axel rose

Pot wrote:
    I liked the bit about understaffed and people on SICK Leave how many days of uncertified leave do they get again

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
    Not this old chestnut again!
    Whatever happened to origionality?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭I Drink It Up!

I went in to them today because I wanted some more info on that other old chestnut, the Back To Work Enterprise Allowance.

I might as well have been asking them the meaning of life!

First off, they all seemed preoccupied with poor old Gerry Ryans funeral.

I was sent down to Hatch 4 which was unattended. Eventually somebody came down to me. I tried to get a few basic questions answered, no joy...they just told me to come back in for an appointment with a gentleman whom they said "takes care of all that".

I mean, I only wanted a few questions answered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Pot Noodle =

I went in to them today because I wanted some more info on that other old chestnut, the Back To Work Enterprise Allowance.

I might as well have been asking them the meaning of life!

First off, they all seemed preoccupied with poor old Gerry Ryans funeral.

I was sent down to Hatch 4 which was unattended. Eventually somebody came down to me. I tried to get a few basic questions answered, no joy...they just told me to come back in for an appointment with a gentleman whom they said "takes care of all that".

I mean, I only wanted a few questions answered.

They were probally planning there next Jollies or when to go sick to maximise a Bank Holiday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 212 ✭✭TheQ47

Pot wrote:

A maximum of 7 days uncertified leave per year, which can only be for 1 or 2 days. Anything longer than that requires a doctor's cert.

The average length of uncertified absence actually taken in Dept. of Social & Family Affairs is 1.2 days per annum (See Appendix G of Auditor General's Report, 2009)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭johnhargrove

I'm waiting 2months now for my Jobseekers' Benefit.
    How can an organisation be so inefficient?

If there was a financial incentive for the dole officers to process the claims quicker, we would probably see the averaging waiting time going down to about 2weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

I've got nothing but praise for the social welfare. Maybe i've just been lucky but when I returned to the UK I was expecting a lot of hassle from them when I signed on because i'd been out of the country for over a year, but they didn't means test me and I got my first dole payment about one week after I signed on for the first time.

I recently enquired about transferring my dole to the UK so I can move there to find work, and they were extremely helpful and got me a referral letter within a day.

Because of the above, I was in my local office a few times last week and my god, the crap those people have to take from the public is unreal. Every time I was there waiting in the queue there was some sort of outburst from a customer. Two times I saw non-nationals becoming very aggressive towards staff because they had signed off the dole, moved home, been unable to find work within a few weeks, come back to Ireland and then stormed into the SW office demanding to know why their dole had been stopped, in both cases calling the officer a liar when they said "but you signed off, here is a copy of the document you signed". On Thursday I was in collecting that referral letter and the Guards were called because a local woman was banging on the glass screaming at the officer because she wouldn't give her her dole payment in cash (??) because her husband was drinking all the dole money.

Unreal. I hope they are well paid. I think i'd have a nervous breakdown if I had to deal with that on a daily basis.

ethO - do you work in the dole office or something?

You mention social welfare officers suffer from stress, well what about the stress a dole receipient has to deal with waiting several weeks for their payments when they haven't enough money to pay their bills?

There's something seriously wrong with an organisation that can't answer the phone.

They lack proper communication skills and treat people on the dole as if they're scum. This 'scum' are at a difficult stage in their lives, broke and losing self-esteem due to unemployment

Also my local office opens at 9:30am, closes at 12 - 2pm for lunch, then closes for the evening at 4pm.
    What's that a 5.5 hour working day???

Why does one have to wait 3months+ for their payments? How can an organisation be so inefficient?
    Again would they be so inefficient if there was an financial incentive to get them to process claims quicker? Probably not

How can an organisation be so inefficient?
    Mostly women working there ;)

• Advertisement

ethO - do you work in the dole office or something?

:rolleyes: No, but I have been on JSB for the last 6 months. As I said, maybe i'm lucky and the SW office in my area is particularly efficient...
    You mention social welfare officers suffer from stress, well what about the stress a dole receipient has to deal with waiting several weeks for their payments when they haven't enough money to pay their bills?

They're not being physically threatened and screamed at on a daily basis, though. Do you think SW officers are getting some sort of bonus for not approving claims? Obviously there are areas of the country which have unacceptable backlogs but I can only speak for my OWN experience - which is what the OP asked for...
    There's something seriously wrong with an organisation that can't answer the phone.

True. That is a major problem.
    They lack proper communication skills and treat people on the dole as if they're scum. This 'scum' are at a difficult stage in their lives, broke and losing self-esteem due to unemployment

I've honestly never been treated or made to feel like I am "scum" in my local office. However I have seen plenty of people I would classify as "dole scum" when i've been waiting to see someone in the office.
    Also my local office opens at 9:30am, closes at 12 - 2pm for lunch, then closes for the evening at 4pm.
    What's that a 5.5 hour working day???

It is ridiculous that they close for 2 hours for lunch, yes, but they don't get 2 hour lunch breaks. An hour of that is spend processing claims, as is the time outside official "opening hours". Do you think the claims forms are processed by magic fairies during the night?
    Why does one have to wait 3months+ for their payments? How can an organisation be so inefficient?
    Again would they be so inefficient if there was an financial incentive to get them to process claims quicker? Probably not

Agreed. However, as i've already stated, that's not been MY experience and the OP was asking for personal experiences. There is an unprecedented amount of people signing on now, and I know my local office has hired extra people to help them cope. Can't speak for elsewhere.

Dude, you must be working for the dole office,
    the overwhelming majority of applicants have had negative experiences in there.
    Its strange that you're so defensive of them.

Refer to RTE's recent 'Life After Dell' documentary. One of the women in the programme, who was recently was made unemployed, stated 'the dole office treat everyone as if they're long-term unemployed, they treat you like you're the scum of the earth and that you should know the system'
    Go on to the RTE i-player to cross-reference, its at about the 37min mark.

I was in the dole office last week, and saw many of the employees leaving at 4:10pm, all smiley, off to enjoy the sunshine. When I can't even scrap two coppers together.

Not everyone works at the window in the dole, they have people processing the claims all day.

Again answer my question, do you think the dole office would be so inefficient if there were financial incentives for the workers to process claims quicker?
    you would see waiting times decrease rapidly.

What about outsourcing the admin bits? - It would save time and money.

No dole workers don't get bonuses for rejecting people's claims, but I feel like clampers or traffic wardens they're all too happy to find fault, they probably get a certain 'kick' out of it.

QUOTE=eth0_;66146630]:rolleyes: No, but I have been on JSB for the last 6 months. As I said, maybe i'm lucky and the SW office in my area is particularly efficient...

They're not being physically threatened and screamed at on a daily basis, though. Do you think SW officers are getting some sort of bonus for not approving claims? Obviously there are areas of the country which have unacceptable backlogs but I can only speak for my OWN experience - which is what the OP asked for...

True. That is a major problem.

I've honestly never been treated or made to feel like I am "scum" in my local office. However I have seen plenty of people I would classify as "dole scum" when i've been waiting to see someone in the office.

It is ridiculous that they close for 2 hours for lunch, yes, but they don't get 2 hour lunch breaks. An hour of that is spend processing claims, as is the time outside official "opening hours". Do you think the claims forms are processed by magic fairies during the night?

Agreed. However, as i've already stated, that's not been MY experience and the OP was asking for personal experiences. There is an unprecedented amount of people signing on now, and I know my local office has hired extra people to help them cope. Can't speak for elsewhere.[/QUOTE]

I don't work for the f*cking "dole office". *I* am talking about my experience in my local office, *you* are talking about *your* local dole office.

Do you understand that experiences may differ according to which office you are dealing with?

I think you've lost the argument mate.
    If you don't work for the dole office, yer ma probably does.

Why do so many people complain about the inefficiencies of the dole office nationwide?

Its not as if people complain about DHL being inefficient.

Social welfare officers are causing a great deal of stress for the unemployed in Ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭axel rose

John,
    Sorry for your situation but you are directing much (not all) of your frustration at the wrong people. The SW workers at the cold face are dealing with a massive surge of new applications but less staff. To compound this the system is so fvcking antiquated its unreal. Some offices have to share desks and phones....as for computers...

The phone system in many offices is so old that a busy line does not sound engaged to the caller- it sounds like its still ringing. My mate who works for SW often tells me that she has to wait over an hour to try and get a free line to call out. To ensure that she gets a free line she makes many of her calls to her clients close to nine- every morning she gets a b0llicking from someone as she had the balls to wake them up!!!!! (She only calls them in order to hurry up the claims process and ask for additional information). i wont even mention the threats.

My mate would love to have her ideas heard, but she too low down in the pecking order to be even asked. You are not the only person to be annoyed by the inefficiency.

However there is no excuse for being treated with rudness or disrespect.

(For the record I dont work for the SW)

<moderated>

another post like that and I will ban you - billy the squid

Reported for trolling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Nolanger wrote: »
    Mostly women working there ;)

Nolanger - confine yourself to helpful posts. Sexist comments aren't welcome here

dudara

What's sexist about stating fact? Most dole offices consist of women working there. That department has over 65% female staff. Women have a higher sick-leave rate there than men do. Also, more women workshare than men hence your dole claim lies on someone's desk for weeks without getting processed.

It is sexist and I find your comments offensive.

• Advertisement
Advertisement