Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Import from the USA?

Options
  • 07-12-2006 8:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭

Out of curiosity, how much would it cost to import a car from the US? Would it be totally outrageous?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭tvr

its not that expensive to viscally move a car from new york through europort in rotterdam to dublin , there numberous sailings every day probaly take 3 weeks and about 650 euro , alot cheaper if you can share a container.

The main expensive is paying european common import tarif ( dont know of hand think it might be 12.5% or something could be corrected, irish vat at 21% or what ever plus vrt another large %%%%%

A bit off topic but does anyone know if the US BMW M5 E60 2007 is built in the US or in Germany

and if it is built in Germany and you are re importing from USA into the Europe whether its possible to get the common import duty refunded.

M5 in Ireland 200,000 US Dollars
    M5 in USA 81,0000 US Dollars.

Absolute joke , we should all be driving around in 911 and people wonder why there are no McLaren F1 , veyrons , zondas in this country.

Do you can spare a thought for the lads in Brazil where an M5 new cost 425000 US Dollars apparently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

I often wondered that if you imported lets say a brand new Mercedes S500 from America to Ireland (the car costs far less over there, about half price), even after paying all the VRT and the rest, would it still work out to be cheaper overall than actually buying the car here?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭randomname2005

One problem might be insurance costs, I know somebody who worked in america for a while and brought their car back with them. Because of the left hand/right hand drive differences the insurance was much higher than it normally would be.
    R

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭tvr

correct me if I am wrong but it is illegal under European Law to charge a premium for left or right hand drive cars . Do try telling Quinn that . You can contact European Direct who will refer it to a lawyer on your behave.

Anyway if I was importing from US I probably get something that could only be got in left hand drive . Maybe a Viper SRT or ford gt spyder one thats just out there dirt cheap and one of those mitsibishi elicpse coupe ( yes I know there are thinking about converting them to rhd but you get my point ) or mustang gt500 for the girlfriend there piss cheap , make a nice birthday present.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,729 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Many US cars require modifications to get them EU legal. This 'hidden' cost could bump up the final import costs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

tvr wrote:
    correct me if I am wrong but it is illegal under European Law to charge a premium for left or right hand drive cars . Do try telling Quinn that . You can contact European Direct who will refer it to a lawyer on your behave.
    I'd very much doubt that it's illegal, given that LHD is clearly an added risk here.

Advertisement