Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom ,CS no respect for Health & Safety

Options
  • 07-12-2006 11:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭

A bit shocked with Eircom this week.
    After storms at the weekend noticed that phone lines that had been anchored to my house had lost their grip and where swaying an awful lot in the wind , they where also hanging only about 8 ft off the street.

My phone was still working but thought someone should inform Eircom of this before they fell onto very busy street, esp with school childrenwalking up this street a lot.

After 20 mins on hold got through to Eircom . I informed them of the situation and my concerns. they asked me my phone number and i told them i had no issues with my phone , he insisted so i gave him my number , "oh sorry sir you need to phone BT as you are not our customer" i argued with him that this was urgent but no joy.

I then phoned Bt but they told me that they couldn't do anything as i had no fault , i reiterated to him my concerns and he eventually talked to his supervisor who told him to send an email to eircom. i thanked him and gave up

The next day i arrived home to find several cables hanging down the front of my house , both broken and cut. and the same on the opposite side of the road . A neighbour informed me that the fire brigade had been out earlier and cut cables as they where straddling the road and footpaths.

One of these cables they cut disconnected my phone

I again decided to inform eircom of this as there where still at least 5 cables hanging over the footpath

Same service from eircom CSR, who kept repeating " what is your number" i said that i was not reporting a fault with my number but a safety issue , when i asked to speak to the CSR's supervisor she hung up on me

Next day i again i phoned BT who now logged the call as now i had line fault

Today i was phoned by an Eircom Repiar man ( on the back of my call logged through BT) who listened to my story and decided to call while i was there to look at the problem , he was shocked to see all the cables hanging and for them not to know about it.

He also reckoned that this was a serious health and safety issue and eircom should have taken my call

Another example of problems with Eircom, how can they not have a dedicated health and safety response line and such irresponsible CSRs

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

While its a piss poor sevrice from Eircom its not really unexpected, I hope your phone is working properly now.

I suppose you could write a formal complaint to them and demand an apology in relation to how your concerns were dealt with.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

That's insane. Not that it'll do a blind bit of good,. but I'd send an e-mail to the Minister. Think it's noel.dempsey@dcmnr.gov.ie

It's Eircom's infrastructure, they're responsible for maintaining it, and if anyone got injured after them ignoring your warnings it would be on them. It's ridiculous that the fire brigade had to come out and do it - I'm sure they'd love to hear that Eircom knew about the situation and just ignored it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Tell the Fire Brigade to Bill eircom in full for their time and effort and make sure you tell the fire brigade when and exactly how eircom were told about this and why the callout was unnecessary and a waste of the fire brigades time .

Did the CS have any english or enough english to understand what your were saying by the way ????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭kiss103

Unfortunately not going to do anymore other than above posting as i feel i'd be flogging a dead horse and only getting myself more annoyed about this , just needed to rant about it !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭Redshift

I had something similar last year during a stormy patch, same thing as the OP; the wind has caused the pole to lean a fair bit and the cables were nearly low enough to grab. I called 1901 and reported it they asked for my phone number and all the usual info and off I went to work.
    By the time I came home for lunch eircom had been and gone and the only evidence they were there was a now straight pole surrounded by cones and yellow tape.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Thats a dispicable jobsworth attitude, 'sorry sir, you're not an eircom customer, goodbye" Thats like ringing the bank of ireland because you saw they left their back door open but they wouldnt speak to you because you bank with AIB :o

CLOWNS.

Advertisement