Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

you think your exam timetable is bad??

Options
  • 07-12-2006 11:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭

I went to the student desk today in admin to find out what was happening over my exam clash and the poor hassled exam office lady was telling me that some poor unfortunates because of clashes have to do three 3hour exams in one day!!! they'll start at half eight and with a two hour break in between each be finished at half nine that night!!!

I think this is beyond unfair its actually cruel! how is anyone supposed to perform well in those exams??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

The poor bastards. I hope they don't do engineering.....for the love of christ WILL SOMEONE THINK OF THE STUDENTS!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

Ha! UCD thinking of students? Doesn't happen!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭dajaffa

Ha! UCD thinking of students? Doesn't happen!

There are students in UCD?!?!?!?! GASP!

You'd never think...

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

I thought it was just for corporate events and open days.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭breadmonkey

Villaricos wrote:
    I went to the student desk today in admin to find out what was happening over my exam clash and the poor hassled exam office lady was telling me that some poor unfortunates because of clashes have to do three 3hour exams in one day!!! they'll start at half eight and with a two hour break in between each be finished at half nine that night!!!

I think this is beyond unfair its actually cruel! how is anyone supposed to perform well in those exams??
    Suck it up. Be the elite. Murder the exams.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭TimG

Our 4th engineering timetable had 5 exams in one day originally which wasn't even possible, needless to say we kick up stink and they had to change it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

The poor bastards. I hope they don't do engineering.....for the love of christ WILL SOMEONE THINK OF THE STUDENTS!!!!
    AGH don't say that!! Its bad enough all the 3rd/4th and postgrad students saying "oh wow wait til 3rd year, just drop out now, you'll have no life, all the teachers are against you"... brings shivers down the spine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Villaricos wrote:

We had a pretty crap timetable to begin with but we got it changed in the end. If it wasnt changed I was going to sit outside the exam hall in protest,seriously. If you just put a bit of pressure on your course coordinaters they will usually accomodate you. Dont bother going into the exam office they wont change it for you but lecturers and head of faculties might.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭Sarchasm

panda100 wrote:
    We had a pretty crap timetable to begin with but we got it changed in the end. If it wasnt changed I was going to sit outside the exam hall in protest,seriously. If you just put a bit of pressure on your course coordinaters they will usually accomodate you. Dont bother going into the exam office they wont change it for you but lecturers and head of faculties might.

Yeah, we were supposed to have 3 exams on the same day but we just said it to our lecturers and the head of the department and it was sorted. Now we have an exam on saturday night from 6 til 8,but its still better than 3 on the one day.

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Feral Mutant

TimG wrote:
    Our 4th engineering timetable had 5 exams in one day originally which wasn't even possible, needless to say we kick up stink and they had to change it.
    Weird, our 1st engineering timetable originally had 5 in one day but that was changed before we were even shown the timetable. The first provisional we saw had them spread out, one a day and the days are kinda spread out. Some exams have been moved a to bit earlier since but it's still the same days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭rain on

panda100 wrote:
    Indeed.
    As the person in charge of fixing clashes I currently have the lovely job of ringing people up to tell them that they have three three-hour exams in one day, and some of them get really upset, and I wish there was something that I or anyone else in Assessment and Logistics could do about it but it is totally out of our hands.
    What we are telling people in this situation to do is:
    1. Notify Professor Gerry Doyle in writing about their situation. As the most senior person involved with exams it is important that he knows that people are receiving these horrendous timetables.
    2. Notify their Programme Office in writing about their situation -- this means that the person marking the exams will take into account that the student had to sit 9+* hours of exams in one day and hopefully mark more leniently accordingly.

*Yesterday I ran across someone who had dyslexia and needed extra time for every exam -- this pushed her total exam time to 10.5 hours in one day. Horrific.

People can bitch and moan as much as they want but if you think about it, it just simply isn't possible to accommodate everyone. Some people get it harder than others but that's just the way it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭Tan Princess

But surely it should be that the first years who don't have GPA to think about have it harder not postgrads like me who have a quarter of their grade in 1 day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

We only got our final exam timetable yesterday! And our exams our next week :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Mr_Roger_Bongos

Suck it up. Be the elite. Murder the exams.

This is the attitude everyone should have!! Stand up, slap the man (ucd) in his big ugly face (exams in the RDS)** and......."Be the best you can be".

**Note - This is not advice to burn down the RDS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Whelo10

I had three exams 2day, had to be in there ay 8 : 30am and i got home at 9 : 30, Easily the worst day of my college life so far. Its safe to say that by the time my 3rd exam came at 6pm i was absolutely drained. Its near impossible to perform at your best being stuck in the one room all day with a supervisor on your shoulder. Any other students in the same boat?

Are you not delighted that you now have at least half of your exams over with?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭Villaricos

breadmonkey you havent had to do three exams in one day have you?

Whelo10, you poor thing I think that has to be the cruelest thing to do to a person! inccidently my mum was talking to a baraster last night about timetables such as that who was shocked and asked why the hell students such as yourself werent up in arms over it! I dont think Id evenbe awake to do the 3rd exam!
    I hope you'll appeal your results. theres no way you could do aswell as the rest of your class with a day like that! or as well as your capable of!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭Tan Princess

I had three exams yesterday a 9am 12pm and 6pm I was wrecked by the 6pm and left early as I just couldn't think any longer do you reckon it'd be grounds for appealing the result of that exam if i don't do well? My boyfriend said trinity have it in their college regulations that there can't be 3 exams in one day could UCD have changed theirs to suit S&M?

depends on the exams I suppose whether theyre finals or how long they are but I would definitly investigate appealing it. how anyone is expected to do three exams in one day is beyond me

• Advertisement

What's all this crap about barristers and such? Get over it lads.

ok read what I said before making off the cuff comments all I said was my mum HAPPENED to be talking a barraster and in HER opinion this whole thing seemed unfair. thats all. Im not saying run off to the solicitors so calm yourself down and stop with the smart remarks. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭themole

Exam claxhes, tis the price to be paid for Horizons and having exams in 9 days

Im not IN Horizons! and according to a lecturer I was talking to there is NO excuse for clashes.
    a girl I was talking to today was expected to ten and a half hours of exams in one day. she kicked up a fuss, threatened to go to the media and/or legal action and result her timetable was changed!
    people are too complancent and accepting in this country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭themole

Villaricos wrote:
    according to a lecturer I was talking to there is NO excuse for clashes.
    Ah, no. That shows the lecturer does not know about the system.

Think about it. Unless there are enough exam slots to have every exam at a different time there WILL be clashes.

Advertisement