Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dawning of a new era?

• 07-12-2006 11:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭

I know it sounds like wishful thinking, but I was just watching RAW and it looks to me like Haas and Benjamin might be re-forming. If you add them to the current tag teams on Raw (Hardyz, Rated RKO, Cade and Murdoch, Highlanders, DX, Cryme Tyme and possibly MNM), I think there is a lot of potential for some great matches!

I think that WWE needs to put the IC title on Carlito and have him fued with guys like Masters and Kenny, maybe bring in some guys from SmackDown!

Also, Mickie James vs. Victoria might be able to carry the womens division til Beth Pheonix returns and maybe bring Jillian from SmackDown! and that would be a start for the womens division.

Unfortunatly, the WWE title is currently held by a muppet and the number 1 contender is a fat samoan, who uses his thumb as a finisher (and you thougth Hogan's Leg Drop was far fetched). I don't see this as being fixed until somebody like Triple H has the WWE title back!

I know this post is biased towards RAW, but I think if WWE could get Raw right, then SmackDown! could be saved later on down the line. As for ECW, kill it now while it has some dignity and put something else in its timeslot, like giving young guys some TV time before sending them up to the main roster!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

Haas and Benjamin were a brilliant tag team, and if they did reform, like the Hardy's, I think it'd be great, as Charlie and Matt would get more of a look in than they have without their respective (and less talented) partners recently. Cade and Murdoch are both great wrestlers too, WWE seems to be trying to prove that they're not though. Still, I don't give tag teams much chance in WWE these days, and there's no way I'd call it a new era

I don't think that much of Carlito, but a lot of fans like him so he wouldn't be that bad a choice of IC champ, apart from the way WWE seem to be booking him. He was made to look very weak on Raw

They look to be doing something interesting with Victoria, I have a feeling that it'll all just fall to pieces once she wins the title though!

I'm not sure what you mean about SD being saved later down the line. I've watched a fair few matches on SD recently, and they've been brilliant. Judging by what I've read and been told, Raw's matches are usually awful and short, which I saw for myself this week. If Shelton and Super Crazy had have had their match on SD, it would have went a lot longer and would have easily been a contender for match of the week. I don't think there's any denying that. SD is much stronger in the ring. And it's the in-ring action that you need to save first, I don't believe that can be disputed either

Sorry for the negativity, I just don't think there's going to be any new era at all!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Yeah I agree with Fozzy on Smackdown. It has been the best wrestling show by a mile in my opinion.

Personally I've given up on Raw for the time being. I haven't watched it live for weeks and I haven't bothered to download it online of late. I refused to watch ECW this week as well . I'll watch Impact and Smackdown but that's it for me at the minute.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭J.R.HARTLEY

Raw has really turned into the soap opera show hasn't it. everything has to try and be a major twist, on SD they just get on with the wrestling. i'd like to see the tag team division floated between the two brands, have the tag teams able to appear on either show and spice things up by adding the SD tag roster to the list mentioned

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭iremex

Raw is definately more soap opera. do you guys think they are doing this on purpose? putting the drama on raw and the wrestling on SD? i doubt most of the big names could pull off what they are doing on raw if they got switched to SD?
    but is it me or does the raw roster have twice the number of wrestlers compared to SD?
    also a quick question, whatever happened to terkay and burke? i remember them getting a big push and i flicked over to watch ecw one night and there they were getting their a$$es kicked by the hardys?

rant over. apologies!! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Minto

Raw has really turned into the soap opera show hasn't it.

I agree! Thats why I think WWE need to take some talent from SmackDown for the time being, then try bring RAW back to its former glory and then finish the good job they have been doing on SmackDown lately! I think because RAW has the higher ratings and is pushed as the flagship show that it should be 'fixed' first! I've nothing against the SmackDown product, its just i've been loyal to RAW since the draft in 2002 and don't want to see it turn into SmackDown of the last few years.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭AlphaMale 3OO

Firstly, Cade and Murdoch are not good wrestlers. To my main point, and Ill be as objective as I can, RAW and Smackdown! are both atrocious at the moment. The Highlanders stink and their match against the rednecks was just so boring it beggared belief. Carlito was embroiled in a meaningless mini-fued with the unimaginative and unpopular Viscera and the one match I thought that could save the show- Shelton/Super Crazy was just too short. Each week, the quality of both shows drops another notch and it has become a chore to watch either of these shows. I am ashamed to say that I am a wrestling fan and this was reinforced to me as two friends of mine painstakingly sat through RAW with me before sheepishly making their exits before I could entice them to sit through Smackdown.

The cartoonish nonsense of the early nineties has officially returned as evidenced by Eugenes embarrasing rant coupled with the Highlanders immature demeanours. Their match, a classic Bravehart vs. Cowboys showdown displayed a tentative nod towards the days when the Mountie vs. the Repo Man actually entertained my sorry ass. I thought WWE had moved with the times, but obviously its been 1 step forward, 2 steps back.

DX and Rated RKO offer some repriese but then we have to tolerate Smackdowns ridiculous Cruiserweight division and its Cade/Murdoch equivalent, Jimmy Wang Yang. What a load of rubbish he is. Kennedy is great and I always enjoy watching Taker but is there any chance that we will actually see a quality wrestling match with no interference and an ending that will actually surprise us? The wrestling on Smackdown is a little better but storylines on both shows are failing miserably and I cant remember a worse time for wrestling. I was appalled at this weeks productions. WWE is seriously missing the mark (no pun intended) and what is needed now is a feud with the intensity of McMahon/Austin, or Rock/Anybody.

The big names must step up to the plate now, as they are needed now more than ever. So come on Hunter, Shawn, Taker, Batista, stop leaving it in the locker room and start actually producing something and take these young talents along with you.

Otherwise I'm not watching any more. There, my rant is over.

forbesii wrote:
    DX and Rated RKO offer some repriese but then we have to tolerate Smackdowns ridiculous Cruiserweight division and its Cade/Murdoch equivalent, Jimmy Wang Yang. What a load of rubbish he is.

I take it you mean his gimmick because his wrestling ability is certainly not rubbish. In fact he and Helms had a fantastic match the week prior to Survivor Series.

yeah, i meant his gimmick. hes a good wrestler but he's marketed childishly. Same goes for Nick Dinsmore.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Dickmcsavage

I agree with pretty much everything you said in your initial rant forbesii. I couldn't put it better myself to describe SD and RAW as a chore to watch. The excitement is just not there any more. What annoys me aswell is that WWE is the top wrestling company in the world and so it should show case the best wrestling and entertainment a wrestling show can offer, but NO! Vince stops wrestlers from wrestling at their best and puts on some of the worst stories ever! This is only in recent years bear in mind.

Im beginning to think, is Vince getting too old for the business? Has he lost his ability to book a very good show altogether?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

Im beginning to think, is Vince getting too old for the business? Has he lost his ability to book a very good show altogether?

It might get even worse when he's not there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Dickmcsavage

With the Big Show taking a hiatus in mind, I think that maybe Vince should too. Lets face it, the guy is pretty damn old and doesn't even take days off. He should take a long desreved break and hand the reigns over to Shane, Steph and HHH (Although I would rather it only be Shane and HHH but i'm thinking realistically here). Maybe with this time off, Vince could get to see WWE from a different perspective which would allow him to improve the product when he eventually makes his return.

With the Big Show taking a hiatus in mind, I think that maybe Vince should too. Lets face it, the guy is pretty damn old and doesn't even take days off. He should take a long desreved break and hand the reigns over to Shane, Steph and HHH (Although I would rather it only be Shane and HHH but i'm thinking realistically here). Maybe with this time off, Vince could get to see WWE from a different perspective which would allow him to improve the product when he eventually makes his return.

To steal a line from his theme tune, "No chance in hell". I think Vince will keep going until he drops dead. Even Stephanie remained quite involved when she was pregnant and Vince is meant to be more of a workaholic than anyone.

I agree with Mr. Nice Guy (thats got to be a first), Vince will never take a break, hes too stubborn. I wouldn't be surprised if he stayed envolved with WWE after his death. How? I dunno, but if anyone can its him!

Also, even if he did take a hiatus, it wouldn't do the product any good! It'll take a really good kick up the arse to get him in the right direstion again! Unfortunatly, I don't think TNA has that kick in them, just yet any way!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

I've given up on the WWe producing any decent wrestling shows. I still like the soap opera style, but I'll take TNA for my wrestling viewing, thanks.

Big Improvement on both shows this week. Better wrestling and much improved storyline delivery. Much better. All the stars turned up and for the most part produced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

forbesii wrote:
    Big Improvement on both shows this week. Better wrestling and much improved storyline delivery. Much better. All the stars turned up and for the most part produced.

Lets hope they start delivering on pay per view too. The WWE have had a run of really mediocre ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

just re-reading this thread, i have to mention that i believe cade and murdoch to be excellent tag team wrestlers. i think the major problem with them is that they don't have the look (especially murdoch). if this was 30 years ago, cade and murdoch would more than likely be NWA tag champs. the fact that they are not ripped and roided to bits is probably the reason behind vince not giving them the push they deserve.
    as for orton and edge. both of them need to be in the world title race and not the tag division. also, when did cena get over with the fans? i missed a coupl of months and the last time i saw him wrestle was when he regained the title. he was only over with the kids at that point. now he's the golden boy. WTF happened there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

I'd agree with you there julep, I like Cade and Murdoch. They've just been jobbed out whenever I've seen them on Raw though. I remember some very good matches they had on Heat back when I was arsed watching it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭J.R.HARTLEY

i always thought the breaking up of cade and murdoch was premature, i'm delighted to see them back, with raw having a recent run of tag matches and teams, Hardyz, MNM ,RKO, DX,WGTT, Highlanders and cade and murdoch. you could have some nice little runs from that only problem is it ties up most of the big names ;
    Both hardyz and Mercury & Nitro are all IC contenders, Rated RKO and to a lesser extent DX(HHH will be back on the title hunt but Michaels hasn't really been on any title runs since he came back, except the necessary switch in the first chamber match) are Main Event Acts,
    but the most telling thing is the wrestlers in the tag teams, their poor treatment of the division for the last few years mean that they've had to bring back Singles stars into the tag team divison that they'd previously left because wwe failed to replace them when they were broken up and left the division all but void of any stars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Se7en

forbesii wrote:
    Firstly, Cade and Murdoch are not good wrestlers. To my main point, and Ill be as objective as I can, RAW and Smackdown! are both atrocious at the moment. The Highlanders stink and their match against the rednecks was just so boring it beggared belief. Carlito was embroiled in a meaningless mini-fued with the unimaginative and unpopular Viscera and the one match I thought that could save the show- Shelton/Super Crazy was just too short. Each week, the quality of both shows drops another notch and it has become a chore to watch either of these shows. I am ashamed to say that I am a wrestling fan and this was reinforced to me as two friends of mine painstakingly sat through RAW with me before sheepishly making their exits before I could entice them to sit through Smackdown.

The cartoonish nonsense of the early nineties has officially returned as evidenced by Eugenes embarrasing rant coupled with the Highlanders immature demeanours. Their match, a classic Bravehart vs. Cowboys showdown displayed a tentative nod towards the days when the Mountie vs. the Repo Man actually entertained my sorry ass. I thought WWE had moved with the times, but obviously its been 1 step forward, 2 steps back.

DX and Rated RKO offer some repriese but then we have to tolerate Smackdowns ridiculous Cruiserweight division and its Cade/Murdoch equivalent, Jimmy Wang Yang. What a load of rubbish he is. Kennedy is great and I always enjoy watching Taker but is there any chance that we will actually see a quality wrestling match with no interference and an ending that will actually surprise us? The wrestling on Smackdown is a little better but storylines on both shows are failing miserably and I cant remember a worse time for wrestling. I was appalled at this weeks productions. WWE is seriously missing the mark (no pun intended) and what is needed now is a feud with the intensity of McMahon/Austin, or Rock/Anybody.

The big names must step up to the plate now, as they are needed now more than ever. So come on Hunter, Shawn, Taker, Batista, stop leaving it in the locker room and start actually producing something and take these young talents along with you.

Otherwise I'm not watching any more. There, my rant is over.

To be honest do we really want more "hey this is real!" bull**** like ROH? I mean dont get my wrong, I like ROH, I really do but do we need another promotion that contains a load of gimmickless wrestlers who have ability but nothing you can care for in a company who seem to think their wrestling is realer than others even though they have storylines and ****ing gimmicks (on some, which do work very well). I miss the days when gimmicks were actually used and they actually made us care for a match rather than just say "you are gonna see some good wrestling". I still say in my top five matches of all time Shane vs. Vince McMahon at Wrestlemania 17 still holds a spot because that match I actually cared for and I wanted to see that bastard Vince get his ass handed to him and when Linda stood up and kicked him in the balls, I was on my feet! Cheering at the TV! I just think we are all getting way too smarky for our own good. I would prefer to watch a guy like Jimmy Yang Wang or (the quite funny) Highlanders than another boring emotionless match with Jay Lethal. Dont get me wrong, I think he has great ability but zero personality. There is nothing wrong with adding a bit of colour and fun to a wrestling show but for some reason people's attitude now is that they need to see technical wrestling classics for every match, no punching, no "high spots", a million armbars. Bull****. I personally like Cade and Murdock, good entertaining hard hitters but Murdock does seems a little out of place out there at times.
    (and you thougth Hogan's Leg Drop was far fetched).

No.

• Advertisement

Se7en wrote:
    I miss the days when gimmicks were actually used and they actually made us care for a match rather than just say "you are gonna see some good wrestling". I still say in my top five matches of all time Shane vs. Vince McMahon at Wrestlemania 17 still holds a spot because that match I actually cared for and I wanted to see that bastard Vince get his ass handed to him and when Linda stood up and kicked him in the balls, I was on my feet! Cheering at the TV!

I remember watching that match and reacting the same way. I also remember when Triple H came back from his quad injury and beat Jericho at WM X8. I was literally jumping around the house at 3.30 in the morning, holding my replica WWE Title and thinking "God, that was great"! To this day I can't remember one thing about the match itself, but I remember the build up and the spectacle and Triple H posing on the turnbuckle holding both world titles!

Sorry, I got carried away there! But yea, the spectacle is really missing from wrestling these days. I can't remember the last time I really cared about a match! I sorta cared about Edge V. Cena in the TLC, but that was just because I didn't want to see Cena with the belt again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Hairline88

Agrred that wrestling needs to be more focussed on drawing us in in teh end we'l always remember memorable angles but maybe not highspot matches ie i can tell you more about the love triangle between steph hhh and kurt than i can about spots in the first hardys and edge and christian ladder match

Advertisement