Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Tale of Two Cities

Options
  • 08-12-2006 12:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭

Just finished reading this today. I found it was hard going at the beginning mainly because I didn't really know anything about the French revolution but I found the historical aspect very exciting and interesting as the plot progressed and the revolution began. I found it a very climatic book, it just got better and better until the show stealing last chapter. I liked the characters and Dickens is very good at conjuring up magical scenes.

Any thoughts? What Dickens book should I read next?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

what dickens book next? a christmas carol!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Living in London I found Great Expectations a pleasant read. Haven't read any of Dicken's other stuff so no idea how they compare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭SCULLY

Great Expectations is very good (not as enjoyable as Tale of Two Cities imho though). Christmas Carol - all time classic and a must read. Pickwick Papers is good also - I found Hard Times a bit boring though others say it's among his best work. Oliver Twist is also an enjoyable read(quite dark in places). Haven't read Bleak House yet though really enjoyed the recent BBC adaptation so must give it a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭theCzar

Pickwick papers is the next on my Dickens list, as it comes highly recommended hearabouts.

Bleak House is good read, so long as you're not looking for a tight plot, it meanders more than is normal even for dickens!

Advertisement