Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Magnet broadband

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,821 ✭✭✭phill106

Bavar wrote: »
    That is not the modem problem. I switch back voip on my old router (Linksys WRP400) and this same situation, try call and the gate down. Even if some miracle get connection, nobody hear me :(

Odd thing is, if i dial my mobile from the landline, nothing happens, just silence. When I hangup the landline, then my mobile starts ringing. I can answer but no one is there. Phantom call!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Bavar

Voip service fixed, testing and working fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 326 ✭✭domeld

According Magnet they upgrade their backbone. Voip has been restored as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 452 ✭✭Murtinho

Does anyone know if Magnet can cap the speed of torrent programs? I have magnet fibre, 150mb i think it is.

I used to use Utorrent but a yr or two ago i noticed i could never get good speeds, just a couple of kb/s. So i changed to bitcomed where i got speeds of up to maybe 10-20mb/s. The past or so Bitcomet seems to be giving me max 400kb/s! Are magnet capping it or what?

actually im downloading the same file on both now and getting roughly 750kb/s on utorrent and 350kb/s on bitcomet!

Same here, took them long enough

• Advertisement

Murtinho wrote: »
    Does anyone know if Magnet can cap the speed of torrent programs? I have magnet fibre, 150mb i think it is.

I used to use Utorrent but a yr or two ago i noticed i could never get good speeds, just a couple of kb/s. So i changed to bitcomed where i got speeds of up to maybe 10-20mb/s. The past or so Bitcomet seems to be giving me max 400kb/s! Are magnet capping it or what?

actually im downloading the same file on both now and getting roughly 750kb/s on utorrent and 350kb/s on bitcomet!

I have gotten torrent speeds of up to 5mb down recently so dont think they do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 426 ✭✭dazdrog

magnets so called fix is broken again, my 30 days notice cant come fast enough

3170824896.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Popoutman

Confirmed that the download speeds are low again.

phill106 wrote: »
    I have gotten torrent speeds of up to 5mb down recently so dont think they do.

I havnt gotten speeds like that in weeks, previously i regularly did, which makes me wonder if they notice the large amount of BB i use and cap the program. They might even do it specifically for me?

I havnt gotten speeds like that in weeks, previously i regularly did, which makes me wonder if they notice the large amount of BB i use and cap the program. They might even do it specifically for me?

I queried that with a manager chap I was talking to on the phone the other day, I cited ps4 and large downloads etc etc. He said while throttling was in the t+c it was not being implemented yet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Yeah with the PS4 it would be a balls. I downloaded a legitimate copy of Battlefield 4 through the Playstation network the last day that was 37GB!

Downloading a new movie at 2.8mb at the moment while also downloading a new tv show at 1mb.
    Ive had faster but its ok as I am going to bed now anyway!

Update...just hit 5mb down on the movie, be down in 10 minutes now

I think magnet have some script which one throttle bandwidth when you download over 4 gigs.
    My connection is fine
    3171913519.png

Bavar wrote: »
    I think magnet have some script which one throttle bandwidth when you download over 4 gigs.
    My connection is fine
    3171913519.png

over 4 gig/ day, /month,/yr???

over 4 gig/ day, /month,/yr???

When you download 4 gig or more in time from 4pm to 1am/day, then throttle your bandwidth. Im only quess that maybe happend, and no idea how long to abide.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭RichCRX

I got a text from Service Prov saying my new phone service has now been connected, with an order no.

I'm guessing this is from Eircom?

The thing is Eircom didn't show on the scheduled appointment and I have been trying to reschedule another date asap through magnet (to no avail) and now I get this. My phone services couldn't possibly been connected.

I've order Magnet Broadband near 3 weeks ago now...such a joke, even if it is an Eircom problem, I don't think Magnet are following up with them very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Izmak

Had a phone call from Magnet earlier, stating that they'd found errors on my line and wanting to know if they could send out an Engineer.

Pointed out that I wasn't in the country over Christmas, and said they'd reschedule.

Kinda came out of the blue, as I haven't spoken to them since my previous correspondence just over a week ago regarding the download speeds (which were fixed, from what I can tell).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Izmak wrote: »
    Had a phone call from Magnet earlier, stating that they'd found errors on my line and wanting to know if they could send out an Engineer.

Pointed out that I wasn't in the country over Christmas, and said they'd reschedule.

Kinda came out of the blue, as I haven't spoken to them since my previous correspondence just over a week ago regarding the download speeds (which were fixed, from what I can tell).

It will not be their engineer, it will be from Eircom and they did the same to a friend of mine and charged him €120 on his next bill, cowboys!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 275 ✭✭Griffin87

anybody know what happens when the eircom engineer fails to show up. I was supposed top get fatpipe 70 setup today but no show from the engineer.

There is 45 install fee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Situation: Current DSL line in place, operated by vodafone. Residents want to provide a second line for VDSL with either Vodafone or Magnet. Anyone know if they both will charge the installation fee? And do magnet do new provides or only port in place lines?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Anyone with Magnet in Dublin 4 with good/bad experiences to share?

So, figured I'd post an update on here.

Last 4-5 weeks, Magnet's had horrendous packet loss issues each and every night during prime time (18:30 -> 00:15 approximately). By massive, I'm talking anywhere between 5% and 30%. Currently have ~26.5% packet loss to a teamspeak server that I use in the Czech Republic.

Every single person I know in Cork who has Magnet has the same issues, and every single one of them has contacted Magnet, only to be fobbed off with excuses as to how they are looking into it, and it will be fixed soon. At this point, I don't even know why I'm still with Magnet, aside from the fact that knowing how slow Eircom is when it comes to sorting stuff out. Several of my friends are in the process of switching, and it's taking them weeks to get their replacement connections up and running.

Edit: Updated with a screenshot link to Teamspeak Packet loss - it dropped back down sub-20% whilst writing this:
    http://imgur.com/MboANzK

Is anybody else in the Cork area (on Magnet, or on another ISP) having these issues? It's beyond infuriating at this point, and Magnet honestly don't seem to give a damn.

Same thing to germany on UPC. Dont think its any one provider having issues atm.

ED E wrote: »
    Same thing to germany on UPC. Dont think its any one provider having issues atm.

For the last few weeks? Originally Magnet told us that the routing equipment up in Dublin had been damaged in floods.

Izmak wrote: »
    For the last few weeks? Originally Magnet told us that the routing equipment up in Dublin had been damaged in floods.

I wasnt gaming for a few weeks but the last week at least. And know a few Eircom customers with issues to mainland europe.

UPC supposedly are implementing IPv6 but I'd say its more likely issues at DECIX that eircom reps posted about a while back.

To update you all on this, the packet loss issues around Cork for those on Magnet Fibre are still happening, over a month since I last posted in this thread (and ongoing for over 2 months in total).

Whilst you have the occasional day where your internet works normally during 18:00 - 00:15 Prime Time, over 90% of the time you still have 5-30% Packet Loss, making any kind of online gaming, or even talking on Skype/Teamspeak pretty much impossible.

I sent a second email to Magnet last night, have yet to hear a reply.

The only thing keeping me attached to Magnet right now is, hilariously enough - the lack of a contract that their Fibre offer has. I really don't want to get tied down into another 12-18 month contract with another provider. :/

• Registered Users Posts: 12 S4astliv

I also have an issue with Magnet Fibre Broadband. Not critical though, but still it is there.

FTP download sets itself the constant speed of around 100 kb/s. Does not go up or down. FTP upload is much more faster (1 mb/s). HTTP is fast both directions.

I have done lots of troubleshooting:

- tried to FTP download the same file from work - no issue (3 mb/s)
    - tried different computer a home - same issue
    - tried router reset - not helped
    - a friend tried to FTP download the same file from his home (also magnet fibre) - no issue (3 mb/s)

Called magnet support - they never heard of such an issue. Anyone with the same problem?

S4astliv wrote: »
    I also have an issue with Magnet Fibre Broadband. Not critical though, but still it is there.

FTP download sets itself the constant speed of around 100 kb/s. Does not go up or down. FTP upload is much more faster (1 mb/s). HTTP is fast both directions.

- a friend tried to FTP download the same file from his home (also magnet fibre) - no issue (3 mb/s)

Called magnet support - they never heard of such an issue. Anyone with the same problem?

Its been mentioned on boards before. It would appear they have a hard rate limit on FTP traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭seanp_25

S4astliv wrote: »

Discussed here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057158312

Try SFTP (port 22), otherwise it seems you need to go through a VPN for full speed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 S4astliv

seanp_25 wrote: »
    Discussed here:

Try SFTP (port 22), otherwise it seems you need to go through a VPN for full speed.

Using SFTP (SSH), a bit different port, seems to be better, but not much...

Anyone else here getting disconnected all the time?
    All the lights bar the power light go off, takes a few minutes to restart and it would come up again. Sometimes during this process a connection wouldnt be established and the internet light goes red.
    This is happening now for over a month. Magnet support are now blaming an eircom issue, which they hope to have resolved in "a couple of weeks".
    At first I thought it was to do with usage, if I was using a lot it was happening but I have seen it happen now when only one device was connected and only browsing the web.
    Im on the fatpipe 70, speed has been lowered to 30mb to try and get a stable connection but it has not improved.
    I would change but if it is an eircom issue, I will have the same issue if i go to eircom/magnet as it is the same infrastructure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

It's been happening pretty regularly here over the past month or so. Usually once every day or couple of days, somewhat late at night (around 2am or so). In Dunboyne on a FTTH line.

Connection will cut out for a few minutes (so no Internet or TV). When the connection does return, it doesn't always properly reconnect and I need to refresh my DNS settings on the PC, and restart the TV set top boxes

• Registered Users Posts: 22 REDLINE@

Anyone else here getting disconnected all the time?
    All the lights bar the power light go off, takes a few minutes to restart and it would come up again. Sometimes during this process a connection wouldnt be established and the internet light goes red.
    This is happening now for over a month. Magnet support are now blaming an eircom issue, which they hope to have resolved in "a couple of weeks".
    At first I thought it was to do with usage, if I was using a lot it was happening but I have seen it happen now when only one device was connected and only browsing the web.
    Im on the fatpipe 70, speed has been lowered to 30mb to try and get a stable connection but it has not improved.
    I would change but if it is an eircom issue, I will have the same issue if i go to eircom/magnet as it is the same infrastructure.

Same issue here, over a month now, Tallaght area

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 380 ✭✭Gmaximum

REDLINE@ wrote: »

Same issue for me in Rathfarnham. Has been happening regularly for 2 weeks now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Do magnet reduce your speed if you are streaming? If someone in the house is watching game of thrones or football every one else is slowed down while Netflix and YouTube do nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Gmaximum wrote: »

Ditto....

I'm on the fat pipe package in Balbriggan and I'm getting very inconsistent speeds, have to reset the router sometimes twice a day, I never had any issues up until bout a month ago so I'm gonna cancel up and move back to Eircom....

Even though eircoms upload is half of magnets (in some areas).... :(

TheChrisD wrote: »
    It's been happening pretty regularly here over the past month or so. Usually once every day or couple of days, somewhat late at night (around 2am or so). In Dunboyne on a FTTH line.

Connection will cut out for a few minutes (so no Internet or TV). When the connection does return, it doesn't always properly reconnect and I need to refresh my DNS settings on the PC, and restart the TV set top boxes
    REDLINE@ wrote: »
    Gmaximum wrote: »
    Fieldog wrote: »
    Ditto....

I'm on the fat pipe package in Balbriggan and I'm getting very inconsistent speeds, have to reset the router sometimes twice a day, I never had any issues up until bout a month ago so I'm gonna cancel up and move back to Eircom....

Even though eircoms upload is half of magnets (in some areas).... :(

Interesting, they said only around 15 people were affected, surprising amount of them are boardies who found this thread!
    What are they saying to you, if you have complained?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Interesting, they said only around 15 people were affected, surprising amount of them are boardies who found this thread!
    What are they saying to you, if you have complained?

I haven't complained about it yet, I don't think I'm gonna bother, think I'll just cancel and let that be a lesson to them...

I see you have to give a months notice in writing to cancel, that's what I'll be doing I'd say....

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Saga1

Interesting...

Also from Balbriggan and the speeds drop by 85% (From 94-95 to 14Mbps) after 8PM. Now the strange thing is that this happened to me with Vodafone (From 15Mbps to 0.8) when I was living in a different house up the town. This has been happening since January when there was extremely bad weather. I'm beginning to think it's not on the ISP's end but the infrastructure itself. Now the internet does disconnect randomly too (Which didn't happen with Vodafone) so that is probably their fault..I place the blame on the router. Another thing I noticed is when downloading torrents if you download too long it will crash and not work for hours.

The router they gave which is a PoS and is extremely locked down, they will not tell you how to bridge it either if you call them. The 'bridge' setting on the router does not work nor does assigning the public IP of the router to the other router.

Magnet is the best of the worst. You can go with eircom who have inferior speeds as well as enter an 18 month contract with them on top of the fact that there is the risk you might experience the same thing if it is in fact the infrastructure and not the ISP.

I'll call tomorrow and ask what is up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 683 ✭✭✭JazzyJ

Yep I'm on their top fibre package and my speeds drop to around 1 to 4MB in the evenings. Wouldn't be a heavy downloader either.

• Advertisement

Still "weeks" before it will be resolved

• Registered Users Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

If people want to move from Magnet and do not want to pay the extra month they charge you when you do, just tell them they are breaking EU competition law, it has worked for many people here.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Mason Storm

I would advise anyone considering Magnet to reconsider. The constant disconnections are getting ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Crosswalk

Hey everyone,

I'm adding my voice to the people having constant disconnections with Magnet. Very frustrated right now. I sent an complaint by email threatening that they would lose our custom and our loyalty and they fobbed us off with 2 weeks credit off our next bill. Nothing mentioned about the last 2 months we've had ****tier than dial up internet. 10 days ago they told us it would be fixed in 2 weeks and if it's not we're switching to UPC.

Also, I've tweeted them with a link to this thread. https://twitter.com/praiseofmyfolly/status/471019149549109248

@MagnetNetworks is their Twitter name if you want to join in.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Saga1

I rang them the other day and they said that they were implementing vectoring to the lines. They said it should be fixed by the end of May. Sounds like BS to me; a different excuse every time you call them. Unless you can get UPC there is no better ISP for speed sadly...

• Registered Users Posts: 3 bejelith

Got magnet broadband 24Mbps today in smithfield after weeks of waiting... now im downloading at 2Mbps (200Kbytes/sec, tested against debian mirrors and speedtest.net).
    I think it's a shame. I wonder about speaking with a lawyer, is it possible to advertise service that actually runs 85% slower then declared?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 76 ✭✭weazlor

bejelith wrote: »
    Got magnet broadband 24Mbps today in smithfield after weeks of waiting... now im downloading at 2Mbps (200Kbytes/sec, tested against debian mirrors and speedtest.net).
    I think it's a shame. I wonder about speaking with a lawyer, is it possible to advertise service that actually runs 85% slower then declared?

What you have there is a 24 megaBIT line. with 8 bits to the byte, that's a promise of 3 Megabytes maximum speed

I know the calculations very well im an engineer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 76 ✭✭weazlor

bejelith wrote: »
    I know the calculations very well im an engineer
    Oh, so that's meant to be 2000kb then? I'm honestly confused, as you seem to be misusing Mb and MB

24Mbps = 3200 Kbytes / s = 3.0 Mbytes/s = 3.0 MB/s
    2Mbps = 256 Kbytes /s = 0.2Mbytes/s = 0.2 MB/s

So basically my broadband is performing at 2Mbps (24Mbps - 90% ~= 2Mbps)

• Advertisement
Advertisement