Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Magnet broadband

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 76 ✭✭weazlor

bejelith wrote: »
    24Mbps = 3200 Kbytes / s = 3.0 Mbytes/s = 3.0 MB/s
    2Mbps = 256 Kbytes /s = 0.2Mbytes/s = 0.2 MB/s

So basically my broadband is performing at 2Mbps (24Mbps - 90% ~= 2Mbps)

Apologies, I didnt think it at all possible for them to ship a 0.2MB line, that's a new low.

I'm looking for the source, but I'm fairly sure that a package of below 512kb cant be called broadband.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,821 ✭✭✭phill106

I have logged an official complaint with them according to their own procedures from here
    http://www.magnet.ie/complaints-procedure/

Apparently eircom will have it resolved by the 21st of this month.
    Will resolve the slow speeds and disconnects...
    Tune in on the 22nd for my rant saying how it isnt fixed :)

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭bloodyhawk

I am having the same issue here, except the disconnecting part. I rang them today and was told the same thing, on how its eircoms fault and it should be fixed in the coming weeks!

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Izmak

phill106 wrote: »
    Apparently eircom will have it resolved by the 21st of this month.
    Will resolve the slow speeds and disconnects...
    Tune in on the 22nd for my rant saying how it isnt fixed :)

22nd! 10% Packet loss. :(

Edit: 25%

Izmak wrote: »
    22nd! 10% Packet loss. :(

Edit: 25%

13% loss here...

Sat at 15% right now. It spiked up to 27% for 15-20 minutes about an hour ago. :/

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭shane1981

Ive got consistant download speeds of up to 60Mbps with magnet Fibre 60 but rte and youtube are buffering every few seconds. Unwatchable. Anyone experiencing this? :mad:

shane1981 wrote: »
    Ive got consistant download speeds of up to 60Mbps with magnet Fibre 60 but rte and youtube are buffering every few seconds. Unwatchable. Anyone experiencing this? :mad:

This is caused by the abovementioned packet loss issues. :(

• Advertisement

Rang them last night as I am still getting disconnects and my profile is still not back to my original speeds.
    Supposedly it will be "escalated" today and an L2 will contact me

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭shane1981

Ran a test tonight, doesnt seem to be packet loss problem. Streaming still terrible. :confused: Will ring them in morning.
    100444573.png

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭SnipSnop

Same issues in two different locations (work and home).. Jitter and packet loss galore.
    Turning into a bit of a joke at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Saga1

Just a FYI, certain ISPs have this technology that allows them to detect speedtests or pingtests on certain sites and boost the speed temporarily while the tests are running, now I'm not sure if any of the ISPs in Ireland have this but a lot of the ones in America do; most notably Comcast & TWC.

What I recommend for using to measure speed amongst other things (P2P throttling, traffic shaping etc) is measurementlab (Can't link full site since I'm a relatively new user, but it's dotnet)

This is developed by Google and it gives a far more in depth analysis of what is going on with your speed than any other site. Speedtest showed me (When the connection drops) that I had 10mbps/15mbps, which was not possible as it couldn't load a picture within 8 seconds, while measurementlab showed that I had 1.7mbps down and 15mbps up, which sounded far more realistic. Pingtest also said that I had 0% packet loss yet when I ping certain sites in command prompt I lose 75%+ packets. As well as the fact when I run a normal speedtest it takes forever to scan the ping thus highlighting the packet loss.

speedof.me is also a reputable speed testing site, it's pure HTML, doesnt use java, and it shows proper live graphing of the tests.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭tom_murphy112

Hello guys,

I have been with magnet telecom for the past 7 months, however ever since I joined I have this issue when every couple of days the phone stops working (I can and other people can ring me, but there is no audio).. To fix this issue I have to reboot the router, is there a way to ssh or telnet into their routers to reboot it using a cron or scheduled tasks... I ask this as magnet have been of no help to me, they keep telling me that it is an issue with their router (manufacturing apparently) and have no time frame on when they will get it fixed, even though I am paying the full amount for a service that doesn't work half of the time... thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭evlgmaojr27ypu

Hello guys,

I have been with magnet telecom for the past 7 months, however ever since I joined I have this issue when every couple of days the phone stops working (I can and other people can ring me, but there is no audio).. To fix this issue I have to reboot the router, is there a way to ssh or telnet into their routers to reboot it using a cron or scheduled tasks... I ask this as magnet have been of no help to me, they keep telling me that it is an issue with their router (manufacturing apparently) and have no time frame on when they will get it fixed, even though I am paying the full amount for a service that doesn't work half of the time... thanks

I have been having the same issue as well and wondered the same thing.. would be great if we can ssh or telnet to the router to reboot it

I had another email from Magnet today, after requesting a followup on their facebook page concerning the ongoing capacity issues.
    > Hi there,
    >
    > I apologise for the issues you are experiencing with your broadband connection.
    >
    > Over the last several months everyone on the fibre network nationwide has been experiencing intermittent congestion issues. This is occuring due to limitations and capacity being reached on the nationwide Eircom fibre network due to unprecedented interest in the service. It is occuring for customers of all broadband service providers who use the Eircom national network to provide fibre broadband services.
    >
    > Eircom own and manage the national network and undertake any remedial work that needs to be done on it; from new connections to repairs and upgrading the lines and/ or exchanges.
    >
    > They have been working on upgrading the capacity on the fibre network for the last several months and the first of these upgrades was due to go live in the timeframe you were originally advised. Due to circumstances outside of our control Eircom pushed back the roll out of the first initial upgrade to this week, however, we have yet to have confirmation that this has begun.
    >
    > We apologise for any inconveniece caused and I note that as a gesture of goodwill your account was previously credited regarding this issue. We have confirmed that this first intial upgrade of the capacity of the fibre network will be the first in a number of upgrades to come on line over the coming months. This will resolve the intermittent congestion issues that users are experiencing and allow for faster speeds while still maintaining a steady connection in the years to come.
    >
    > If you have any further queries or need any more information please do not hesitate to contact us at any time.
    >
    > Kind Regards,
    >
    > Customer Support.

weazlor wrote: »
    speedof.me is also a reputable speed testing site, it's pure HTML, doesnt use java, and it shows proper live graphing of the tests.
    140703020947-41834.png
    Fatpipe 70 me holeeeee

Fatpipe 70 me holeeeee

That's a nice stable connection to be honest, good solid graphs and fast pickups. too few people respect stability, it's far more important than raw speed once you get past 4mb.

Edit: Of course, stability's more important for realtime applications like skype, online games etc. Not so much if you just want to download

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Paying for 100, getting 10. Sent them an email with lots of info. Luckily I have done communication systems in college so have some idea what I am doing. Hopefully they won't try and fob me off as it is an issue on my side.

• Advertisement

That's a nice stable connection to be honest, good solid graphs and fast pickups. too few people respect stability, it's far more important than raw speed once you get past 4mb.

Edit: Of course, stability's more important for realtime applications like skype, online games etc. Not so much if you just want to download

Mine isnt stable either, if i use it for anything much heavier then browsing it kills the modem, forces it to restart

Mine isnt stable either, if i use it for anything much heavier then browsing it kills the modem, forces it to restart

Hmm. I'd log onto the modem and check the signal noise ratio on your BB connection details. A s/n of 7 or lower would indicate your speed is too high for stability. Wired/wireless?

Hmm. I'd log onto the modem and check the signal noise ratio on your BB connection details. A s/n of 7 or lower would indicate your speed is too high for stability. Wired/wireless?
    Wireless but when it goes, lan goes too.

2.3 Line Rate (Down / Up) 40960 Kbps / 10239 Kbps
    2.4 Noise Margin (Down / Up) 27 dB / 19 dB
    2.5 Attenuation (Down / Up) 11.3 dB / 3.9 dB
    Done all that stuff already, issue is with eircom (according to magnet) who dont have the capacity to meet all the already sold fibre connections.

Wireless but when it goes, lan goes too.

2.3 Line Rate (Down / Up) 40960 Kbps / 10239 Kbps
    2.4 Noise Margin (Down / Up) 27 dB / 19 dB
    2.5 Attenuation (Down / Up) 11.3 dB / 3.9 dB
    Done all that stuff already, issue is with eircom (according to magnet) who dont have the capacity to meet all the already sold fibre connections.

That's so weird, that line looks pretty damn stable. Eircom are known for pulling that **** though. Thank christ esb are rolling out fibre too now. Some competition should put manners on them.

Little better speeds but still getting the disconnects
    show.php?img=140710175056-42367.png
    Magnet suggested when if i have to reboot, try and wait till its not peak times, as will synch at a better speed offpeak. What good is that? If it goes at 630pm, i would have no fun till the middle of the night?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 175 ✭✭Cilar

How's FTTH with Magnet? (in particular in Dunboyne Castle). According to their page ww.magnet.ie/ftth/ it's slightly more expensive than their own FatPipe 100 offering through Eicom network?! Is the page up to date?

Has anyone managed to get out of the 50 euro cancellation fee? They told me I'm only getting 10-20% of the speed I'm paying for because eircom are doing work which means they are unable to provide me with the service I bought and plus it is a 30 day contract so anything about a charge if you cancel in less than 12 months would go against it in my mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭chazbat1

My mate in swords has magnet 70MB fatpipe - was having some speed issues in the evenings and it seems to be sorted last night.... he called up today and they have had some work completed which seems to have fixed the issue... anyone confirm this?

chazbat1 wrote: »
    My mate in swords has magnet 70MB fatpipe - was having some speed issues in the evenings and it seems to be sorted last night.... he called up today and they have had some work completed which seems to have fixed the issue... anyone confirm this?

I don't wish to speak prematurely, but it does indeed seem as though Magnet finally resolved the congestion issues on their lines. My packetloss last night sat at 0% all night (and Monday's is usually the worst night of the week). Same was the case for the couple of colleagues I have in Cork who are also with Magnet.

Touch wood that it stays that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Has anyone managed to get out of the 50 euro cancellation fee? They told me I'm only getting 10-20% of the speed I'm paying for because eircom are doing work which means they are unable to provide me with the service I bought and plus it is a 30 day contract so anything about a charge if you cancel in less than 12 months would go against it in my mind.

Yeah, just tell them they are breaking EU competition law by throttling video streaming sites and not throttling Netflix, worked for a good few people here myself included.

• Advertisement

Xenji wrote: »
    Yeah, just tell them they are breaking EU competition law by throttling video streaming sites and not throttling Netflix, worked for a good few people here myself included.

I KNEW IT! The entire house noticed that if someone is streaming the internet slows down while Netflix is grand. Did they put up much of a fight or is simply saying I know what you did enough? Seems a bit too easy.

Cant wait to live somewhere with UPC again.

I KNEW IT! The entire house noticed that if someone is streaming the internet slows down while Netflix is grand. Did they put up much of a fight or is simply saying I know what you did enough? Seems a bit too easy.

Cant wait to live somewhere with UPC again.

Once I mentioned it and said I would go to ComReg about it they were very quick to wave the fee.

Xenji wrote: »
    Once I mentioned it and said I would go to ComReg about it they were very quick to wave the fee.

Perfect, was thinking of mentioning ComReg about the whole how can they charge a disconnection fee before 12 months when our contract ends after 30 days anyway.

Perfect, was thinking of mentioning ComReg about the whole how can they charge a disconnection fee before 12 months when our contract ends after 30 days anyway.

What package were you on? thought most of their packages were no contract anyway?

What package were you on? thought most of their packages were no contract anyway?

"100"mb fatpipe or whatever it is called. You are still technically in a contract but it only lasts 30 days and then is automatically renewed each month unless you cancel.

"100"mb fatpipe or whatever it is called. You are still technically in a contract but it only lasts 30 days and then is automatically renewed each month unless you cancel.

Id check it if i were you, from
    here

FREE From Any Contract
    No signing or getting locked into a lengthy 12 month contract. It is completely no-contract giving you as much freedom as you like in the future. Easy!

Hope that isnt it for the fixes, mine still reboots

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭chazbat1

As far as I know - when I moved house... its a 30 day notice period - no cancellation fee...

and as o other peoples comments - I think the slow streaming speeds will have gone away, I was in my mates house last night and his magnet connection was flying and that was at like 10.30pm when it used to be dog slow.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Captain Don Thorpe

Internet still constantly disconnecting here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 Saga1

Well the speed has been fixed over the last three days in Balbriggan, however, I am experiencing significantly more disconnects though. If the speed is fixed permanently and it's not just some stream of good luck then I hope the disconnects will be ironed out over the next few weeks too.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭seanp_25

Very slow tonight. Seems to work only in short bursts every minute or so.

seanp_25 wrote: »
    Very slow tonight. Seems to work only in short bursts every minute or so.

Same.

Its working with some websites but not others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Saga1 wrote: »
    Well the speed has been fixed over the last three days in Balbriggan, however, I am experiencing significantly more disconnects though. If the speed is fixed permanently and it's not just some stream of good luck then I hope the disconnects will be ironed out over the next few weeks too.

I'm in Balrothery and its awful the last 3 or 4 hours, its laziness stopping me going back to Eircom or always when I decide I would like to play online I get this nonsense.... :(

Definitely going back to Eircom....

Just rebooted the router for about the 5th time and I finally have service!

I did ring them up about this a week or two ago to be told that it "was a problem with the fat pipe package I was on" lol

They haven't a clue in the place which is even worse...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭Chance The Rapper

I signed up last week, it worked for one evening and then collapsed. Hasn't been up since, they want to send out an engineer on Monday. Is there a way I can just cancel the whole thing? Im happy enough to return the router.

• Advertisement

I signed up last week, it worked for one evening and then collapsed. Hasn't been up since, they want to send out an engineer on Monday. Is there a way I can just cancel the whole thing? Im happy enough to return the router.

Yeah just call them up and cancel I'd say,

Get Eircom, dearer but it works at least, I think Magnet oversold the package tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭BulliteShot

You guys should be providing trace routes to the websites which aren't working for you. It's simple - just open a command prompt and enter:
    tracert google.com

When it's finished paste the output here and then it shows what part of their network isn't working or if it's a problem with your home network such as another computer downloading.

You guys should be providing trace routes to the websites which aren't working for you. It's simple - just open a command prompt and enter:

When it's finished paste the output here and then it shows what part of their network isn't working or if it's a problem with your home network such as another computer downloading.

I know what Trace route is, its not any specific site, it just goes off and thats that until I reboot the router via the reset hole and restart it about 15 times, sure I woke up this morning and it had gone whilst I slept, its a ****ing joke....

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭BulliteShot

Then phone them up and cancel because the service is not usable and you're not getting what you paid for.

The first thing Magnet will tell you is that if you go to a different provider you will have the same problem as they all use the same line, this is bull**** as Magnet patch their lines and have ballsed them up, switched to Vodafone and straight away my speedtests and download speeds quadrupled with no drops or disconnections.

• Advertisement
Advertisement