Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Magnet broadband

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Huffalump

Ok, cool. Thanks again.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Hi Rory can you advise what exactly Magnet swift is please?
    Im looking to get away from eircom, i cant hack the slowdown anymore at peeak times.
    Do Magnet use eircoms exchange and lines?
    Is Magnet Swift the same as my current eircom 3 meg bb?

Just to add i dont the line checker on the magnet site and it says magnet swift is available.

• Company Representative Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭Magnet: Rory

Dcully wrote: »
    Hi Rory can you advise what exactly Magnet swift is please?
    Im looking to get away from eircom, i cant hack the slowdown anymore at peeak times.
    Do Magnet use eircoms exchange and lines?
    Is Magnet Swift the same as my current eircom 3 meg bb?

Just to add i dont the line checker on the magnet site and it says magnet swift is available.

Magnet Swift is a re-sold eircom product yet it is sold under the banner of unlimited d/l and u/l. It is resold "swift" profile and contention runs at 12:1.

Service, as always is dependant on availability and copper quality.

Does this answer your question?

Yeah thanks for that, doubt it will improve things at peak times :(

Dcully wrote: »
    Yeah thanks for that, doubt it will improve things at peak times :(

Because we dont have equipment in your area I'm inclined to agree. If you PM me your phone number I can check, at least then we can know for sure.

• Advertisement

pm sent , thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 arik11

Hi Rory and all.
    Got connected today to the MAGNET FIBRE BROADBAND 50Mb.Was surprised and disappointed to see that in any port in the house I get a quick peak of close to 45 Mb but then it immediately goes down to an average of 25Mb(used magnet speed test).The upload was around 7.8 Mb.
    This is indeed fine speeds but it's not 50Mb and not even 40 Mb Not even 30 mb.
    OK So Magnet can't provide me with 50Mb.No problem.Give me 20Mb and charge me for 20.That is good enough for me.(I do not need the TV or the phone line).
    What do you say?
    Thanks
    Arik :rolleyes:

arik11 wrote: »
    Hi Rory and all.
    Got connected today to the MAGNET FIBRE BROADBAND 50Mb.Was surprised and disappointed to see that in any port in the house I get a quick peak of close to 45 Mb but then it immediately goes down to an average of 25Mb(used magnet speed test).The upload was around 7.8 Mb.
    This is indeed fine speeds but it's not 50Mb and not even 40 Mb Not even 30 mb.
    OK So Magnet can't provide me with 50Mb.No problem.Give me 20Mb and charge me for 20.That is good enough for me.(I do not need the TV or the phone line).
    What do you say?
    Thanks
    Arik :rolleyes:

We can service you with 50Mb as we can in all fibre areas. Can you PM me and we can look into the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 es49er

I have had great experience with them The bad exeprience I have had is both times I have had the service connected, but not from Magnet - EIRCOM. Both times Magnet has responded and even send out engineers to site and Vioala! Sorted. Speeds are great and Cust service sis great. Realistacally - you may not get what is advertised because of locations - old wiring etc... but still good speeds. better than eircom and vodafone.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 arik11

The speed improved a bit, and there might be a genuine problem maybe at my apartment/I was offered by Rory to have this checked out, and was offered a package that suites my needs even better. The customer service so far has been outstanding.So far I am a happy customer, Thank you Rory.

• Advertisement

Thanks guys, the positive feedback really makes a difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Hi Rory

The Issue with timeouts seems to have been resolved, all is good again. Thanks very much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

Rory,

Service has been terrible the last 4/5 days - i'm in Kilmainham on the Crown Alley exchange with the 10 Mb broadband product. connections seem to timeout intermittently - its off more than it's on recently to be honest. Pings have about 50% packet loss.

any idea whats up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 970 ✭✭✭finnteme

Is anyone else here having problem with Magnet broadband?
    Cannot get to the internet, link light is just blinking constantly.

I restarted the router and Telsey modem, and checked the cables.

Have emailed the support already, and will contact them via phone also when they open

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

finnteme wrote: »
    Is anyone else here having problem with Magnet broadband?
    Cannot get to the internet, link light is just blinking constantly.

I restarted the router and Telsey modem, and checked the cables.

Have emailed the support already, and will contact them via phone also when they open

Ours went down Friday night and hasn't been back since.

I rang tech support yesterday to be told that tier 2 support are only in Monday to Friday and that basically all they could do for me was tell me to turn it off and on again.

Seriously. We're paying a STUPID amount for BB that clocks in at ~7Mb (when it's working at all)even though it's supposed to be 24 and we're now left all weekend with no connection because Magnet can't be arsed employing a fully operational tech support team.

Can't blame Rory for this. All I can do is pity him for all the complaints he must have to deal with with such a bare bones setup.

This is an absolute joke.

Rory,

Service has been terrible the last 4/5 days - i'm in Kilmainham on the Crown Alley exchange with the 10 Mb broadband product. connections seem to timeout intermittently - its off more than it's on recently to be honest. Pings have about 50% packet loss.

any idea whats up?

Can you PM me on this issue if it has not been resolved?

dregin wrote: »
    Ours went down Friday night and hasn't been back since.

I rang tech support yesterday to be told that tier 2 support are only in Monday to Friday and that basically all they could do for me was tell me to turn it off and on again.

I was told the same, and it is still down. I had to go and buy a Clearwire modem and contract modem because of this, since im working partially from home, and need working internet connection that is reliable, not mentioning the phone that is not working anymore...

There were no ADSL2+ outages over the weekend. If anyone is still experiencing difficulty please PM me and the situation will be escalated immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 izt_is

Hi Rory, I have registered for a Magnet 24mbps account over 2 weeks ago, and was told that an engineer would be coming down to may place (Merrion Grove) to check out the line and get the broadband set up.

But up till now, no one has come by. I really need this internet connection quite urgently. If you guys are still unable to come down, I might have to consider switching to UPC because I already have fibre installed and they will take only a few days to activate it.

Please help me with this issue, it's my first time with magnet, and I really do want to try out magnet as a service provider.

Thanks!

izt_is wrote: »
    Hi Rory, I have registered for a Magnet 24mbps account over 2 weeks ago, and was told that an engineer would be coming down to may place (Merrion Grove) to check out the line and get the broadband set up.

But up till now, no one has come by. I really need this internet connection quite urgently. If you guys are still unable to come down, I might have to consider switching to UPC because I already have fibre installed and they will take only a few days to activate it.

Please help me with this issue, it's my first time with magnet, and I really do want to try out magnet as a service provider.

Thanks!

Can you PM me and I can look into the details.

• Advertisement

Thanks Rory, our broadband is working again.

Though i have to give some negative feedback for Magnet Customer Service.
    No one has contacted me, excepted Rory here, you deserve 1000 roses!! :)

finnteme wrote: »
    Thanks Rory, our broadband is working again.

Though i have to give some negative feedback for Magnet Customer Service.
    No one has contacted me, excepted Rory here, you deserve 1000 roses!! :)

Thanks for your kind words but I am sorry that you slipped through the net. If you have any suggestions for how we could tighten up (or even tell me how events unfolded in your case) we would genuinely appreciate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭nottooxabi

After no problems with the initial magnet installation etc I am now waiting almost 3 weeks for a 2nd level support call from magnet regarding an issue.

The issue is this.

I connect laptop and iphone to wifi and had done without issue for quite a while. I then noticed that even though the iphone was connected to the router(wifi) once i tried to access the internet it switched to "edge" 02 network..and as a result i was being charged for downloading email etc...
    I only spotted this when my credit ran out and it wouldn't connect to itunes. I'm fairly technical so i did all the usual tests.

the laptop still connects fine and accesses internet and I've tested the iphone on other wireless networks and it has worked fine.
    I've explained to magnet support (rang twice) and its been escalated to 2nd level support but no response yet... APPAULING customer services !!!

Last chance saloon, I'm moving back to NTL (oh woe is me) if this is not resolved ASAP.. I have come on here to give magnet a last chance..

thanks

nottooxabi wrote: »
    After no problems with the initial magnet installation etc I am now waiting almost 3 weeks for a 2nd level support call from magnet regarding an issue.

The issue is this.

I connect laptop and iphone to wifi and had done without issue for quite a while. I then noticed that even though the iphone was connected to the router(wifi) once i tried to access the internet it switched to "edge" 02 network..and as a result i was being charged for downloading email etc...
    I only spotted this when my credit ran out and it wouldn't connect to itunes. I'm fairly technical so i did all the usual tests.

the laptop still connects fine and accesses internet and I've tested the iphone on other wireless networks and it has worked fine.
    I've explained to magnet support (rang twice) and its been escalated to 2nd level support but no response yet... APPAULING customer services !!!

Last chance saloon, I'm moving back to NTL (oh woe is me) if this is not resolved ASAP.. I have come on here to give magnet a last chance..

thanks

Can you PM me on this with your account number/name. I know from personal experience that the iphone can have a very loose grip on the wireless across all service providers.

Be that as it may please 3 weeks is unusual to put it lightly, PM me and I will look into the circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 colinryan

Hi,

Just signed up for 24Mb. I got my router on Monday and am only getting 7.5 to 8mb! Exactly what I had before with Eircom.

I have isolated (disconnected) all the telephone wiring in the house so that the router is connected directly to the point where Eircom POTN wiring enters the house and still no better.

Can any one shed any light/similar experiences?

Also does anyone know why the second A2D phone port is not working on the router - is this standard configuration?

I have a call logged with Magnet tech support two days ago (who said someone would call be back with a resolution (line tuning) in 24 hours - no call so far. I'm guessing it will be next week now. I have to say I am dissappointed as I had heard good things about the support.

Rory if you are on here I would appreciate if you can look into this for me?

C.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭choronzonix

Hi Rory,

I have a query I was hoping you could help me with regarding your services.

My parents have been trying to get set up with a broadband service for years now to no avail. They can't get Eircom's or any other fixed line service as they're living in a remote (not even that remote - many of their neighbours can get it!) part of Co. Kilkenny, and the mobile boradband services they've tried are all out of reach of the 3g service, i.e. rendering them basically useless.

I went your site and entered their phone number into your line checker to see what would happen and was met with this: "BITSTREAM ! Congratulations\, you are eligible to get our Magnet Swift package. If you'd like to receive a call back from one of our experienced sales staff, just choose this". Would you be able to kindly elaborate on what exactly this is? you'll have to excuse my scpeticism, with my parents having been basically lied to by so many companies (mostly the mobile broadband companies) telling them it's available in their area only for it to not work, so i'm wary of advising them to apply for anything else without actually knowing whether it'll work or not.

Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭choronzonix

Hi again,

i just had a look through this site and I see that Swift is a resold Eircom product. However, is it still possible to get this if Eircom broadband is unavailable on my parents' line? Seems unlikely but anyway...

colinryan wrote: »
    Hi,

Just signed up for 24Mb. I got my router on Monday and am only getting 7.5 to 8mb! Exactly what I had before with Eircom.

I have isolated (disconnected) all the telephone wiring in the house so that the router is connected directly to the point where Eircom POTN wiring enters the house and still no better.

Also does anyone know why the second A2D phone port is not working on the router - is this standard configuration?

I have a call logged with Magnet tech support two days ago (who said someone would call be back with a resolution (line tuning) in 24 hours - no call so far. I'm guessing it will be next week now. I have to say I am dissappointed as I had heard good things about the support.

C.

There is an outstanding case for this an it is being looked at currently. Very sorry for the delay. I will PM you now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

However, is it still possible to get this if Eircom broadband is unavailable on my parents' line? Seems unlikely but anyway...

If eircom broadband is not available, then none of the re-sellers will have anything either.

• Advertisement

[QUOTE=
    jor
    el
    ;68099440]If eircom broadband is not available, then none of the re-sellers will have anything either.[/QUOTE]

This is correct, we can only activate a "red line" (this is what they are called) if we have our own equipment at the exchange level.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,533 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

I got a text message today from "ServiceProv" reminding me to be in my apartment tomorrow morning, I am assuming this is from Magnet?

I got a text message today from "ServiceProv" reminding me to be in my apartment tomorrow morning, I am assuming this is from Magnet?

No, this is from eircom. If the install tomorrow doesnt suit please PM me.

We order the line, eircom install it, then we take it over, in that order.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,533 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

No, this is from eircom. If the install tomorrow doesnt suit please PM me.

We order the line, eircom install it, then we take it over, in that order.

Ah, thought as much . . . quicker than I expected. :)

Ill be out of the apartment myself for an hour in the morning - but I assume as long as someone is there to let Eircom in all should be OK? I can give a second contact number if needs be.

Ah, thought as much . . . quicker than I expected. :)

Ill be out of the apartment myself for an hour in the morning - but I assume as long as someone is there to let Eircom in all should be OK? I can give a second contact number if needs be.

As long as someone is there its not a problem. Just make sure you take the call from eircom.

Missing the appointment may cause you to go to the back of the queue so it really is important that you take the call.

We can't change the phone number at this stage as eircom have the order in process.

No problem, thanks Rory. :)

• Advertisement

No problem, thanks Rory. :)

Happy to help. PM me if you have anymore updates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 stacey_girl

I signed up with Magnet almost 1 year ago, and while I had nothing but problems at the start (ended up being due to Eircom and not Magnet), I can honestly say, that they are one hell of a company to deal with.

They are nothing short of fantastic, they used to have to worst customer support and service, but now, I have to say they have improved so much, in fact I would easily say, they have the best support and customer service I have experienced in this country!!

Only last week, I was having problems with my xbox 360 disconnecting from live every few minutes, I rang Magnet and wow, not only did they sort it all out for me, they also rang me back a couple of times to make sure that all was going well with it.

If you are looking for an isp, then look no further than Magnet, I have already got my dad and both my brothers to sign up with them rather than Eircom.

Thanks Rory for a job well done, and sorry for all the hastle I gave you at the start.

I signed up with Magnet almost 1 year ago, and while I had nothing but problems at the start (ended up being due to Eircom and not Magnet), I can honestly say, that they are one hell of a company to deal with.

They are nothing short of fantastic, they used to have to worst customer support and service, but now, I have to say they have improved so much, in fact I would easily say, they have the best support and customer service I have experienced in this country!!

Only last week, I was having problems with my xbox 360 disconnecting from live every few minutes, I rang Magnet and wow, not only did they sort it all out for me, they also rang me back a couple of times to make sure that all was going well with it.

If you are looking for an isp, then look no further than Magnet, I have already got my dad and both my brothers to sign up with them rather than Eircom.

Thanks Rory for a job well done, and sorry for all the hastle I gave you at the start.

Thanks so much for the kind words, don't worry about asking for help on this site, after all thats what we're here for.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 colinryan

Hi,

C.

Just by way of update...

I rang again yesterday morning (before your PM thanks Rory) and was told I would be called back within 24 hours. I have still not received any calls from Magnet (other than your PM Rory) since raising a support case 1 WEEK ago. Incidently the person I spoke to yesterday told me nothing had been done on my case since last week.

Rory your efforts are to be commended in terms of working outside of the normal support processes but the 'normal' customer support process in Magnet is a concern - not to mention that I am only getting an average 7Mb download (6.3 last night) for a 24Mb advertised package. If this were an outage it could be impacting me financially.

Just by way of update...

I rang again yesterday morning (before your PM thanks Rory) and was told I would be called back within 24 hours. I have still not received any calls from Magnet (other than your PM Rory) since raising a support case 1 WEEK ago. Incidently the person I spoke to yesterday told me nothing had been done on my case since last week.

Rory your efforts are to be commended in terms of working outside of the normal support processes but the 'normal' customer support process in Magnet is a concern - not to mention that I am only getting an average 7Mb download (6.3 last night) for a 24Mb advertised package. If this were an outage it could be impacting me financially.

I can only apologise for the slowness of response here. It looks like your line is incapable of hitting the top speeds. Expect a call very shortly and if no contact is made I will PM you my own personal contact details.

This customer has been called and a request for a submission of a fault case has been placed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 yolloms

Hi Magney (Rory),

I have recently got my Telsey modem. Got the email from Magnet to say my services should be activated and to plug in my modem as shown by the guide in the welcome pack.

I did not receive a setup guide in my pack only a user guide about the modem that details each light and port but not how to set up the modem.

I however plugged in the modem, like the engineer (who patched in my line) told me.
    I should be seeing the link light flash then go solid however it doesnt even come on.
    Can you help?

yolloms wrote: »
    Hi Magney (Rory),

I have recently got my Telsey modem. Got the email from "" to say my services should be activated and to plug in my modem as shown by the guide in the welcome pack.

I did not receive a setup guide in my pack only a user guide about the modem that details each light and port but not how to set up the modem.

I however plugged in the modem, like the engineer (who patched in my line) told me.
    I should be seeing the link light flash then go solid however it doesnt even come on.
    Can you help?

We can but if its at all possible could you delete the name mentioned. While there is nothing untoward about the mentioning of the name it would be unfair to mention specific individuals.

PM me your details and we can look into the circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 yolloms

We can but if its at all possible could you delete the name mentioned. While there is nothing untoward about the mentioning of the name it would be unfair to mention specific individuals.

PM me your details and we can look into the circumstances.

Post updated.
    Received call from Magnet, engineer is being scheduled to look at wiring.

Thanks Rory

yolloms wrote: »
    Post updated.
    Received call from Magnet, engineer is being scheduled to look at wiring.

Thanks Rory

No problem, keep me informed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭kevovek

Just wondering whether magnet broadband is available in Wexford?

kevovek wrote: »
    Just curios as to whether magnet broadband is available in Wexford?

We could offer you the up to 8.1Mb service, can you PM me your details and I can check.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

I'm sure their connection is good, now if only I could actually use it.
    They sent me the modem last week, I still haven't been able to use it since there are absolutely NO instructions with it, only a page with some data like adresses etc, which by the way also says that wireless is turned off.
    It's obviously a wireless modem, is this a standard settign which can easily be changed ?

I wouldn't even mind paying for a technician coming by and taking a look, but I have sent 2 emails so far (Since I work later than the customer support opening and closing hours calling them is out of the question, and fixing it from work is impossible for me) and no response.

Jelle1880 wrote: »
    I'm sure their connection is good, now if only I could actually use it.
    They sent me the modem last week, I still haven't been able to use it since there are absolutely NO instructions with it, only a page with some data like adresses etc, which by the way also says that wireless is turned off.
    It's obviously a wireless modem, is this a standard settign which can easily be changed ?

I wouldn't even mind paying for a technician coming by and taking a look, but I have sent 2 emails so far (Since I work later than the customer support opening and closing hours calling them is out of the question, and fixing it from work is impossible for me) and no response.

Can you PM me on this? Perhaps I can push on the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

Can you PM me on this? Perhaps I can push on the case.

Sure, thanks ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Slaughterhouse

HI
    Quick question for all you Magnet TV users. I missing about 3 inchs on wither side of my TV with Magnet. When there is a Subtitle movie on i'm missing words on both sides and also with Sky sports news i'm Missing the league tables and the scores on soccer saturday.

i have rang magnet and they said to turn on and off the system (what a suprise from an IT fella) which i have done to no Avail.

ALSO NB i have checked the setting on my Samsung 32" HDTV and it is set to Widescreen. When i play DVD's it fine just the Magnet signal there are sending seems to be the Problem

your Help would be greatly appreciated

thanks

• Advertisement
Advertisement