Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Magnet broadband

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

Ordinarily it takes 8-10 working days but it may differ where the line needs to be installed. What were you advised at sign up?

Said my info has been sent to the sales team who will contact me soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 cinnamono

Question here. Recently moved into a house in Ashtown, got the line rental with Eircom and am currently considering whether to go with Magnet or not. The worry for me is that they don't have their own lines there so they basically use the same lines as Eircom. 40E for 8mb seems a tad excessive (works out as 63E including line rental), is it worth it? Will I actually get anywhere near the 8mb?

Also, I've been told there's a wait of 8-10 working days for install, seems like a long time seeing as Eircom said 2-3 days. I work from home occasionally so I kinda need it asap. Is this really the quickest I can get it?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Archronos

Is this still causing difficulty?

Yeah Rory, not been able to dial international numbers (UK) since Sunday, just get engaged tones when it rings out. People can ring in fine, including international numbers (UK) and net is fine as well, router reset did nothing to help. I've PMed my account number to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Malone1994

I've had magnet for about a 5 months now and I find for the connection to be very hit and miss. Sometime it'll work with no problems other times it's just incredibly slow.
    My xbox live suffers greatly from it and I've tried so many different things to try and keep the connection in check, but it still runs really slowly and lags horribly.

Any ideas as to how I can fix this? I'm on a 24mb package.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Proobe

Is the magnet broadband available in Monaghan Town?
    Currently I'm on Eircom 3MB broadband

• Company Representative Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭Magnet: Rory

cinnamono wrote: »
    Question here. Recently moved into a house in Ashtown, got the line rental with Eircom and am currently considering whether to go with Magnet or not. The worry for me is that they don't have their own lines there so they basically use the same lines as Eircom. 40E for 8mb seems a tad excessive (works out as 63E including line rental), is it worth it? Will I actually get anywhere near the 8mb?

Also, I've been told there's a wait of 8-10 working days for install, seems like a long time seeing as Eircom said 2-3 days. I work from home occasionally so I kinda need it asap. Is this really the quickest I can get it?

Its up to 8-10. At times it can finish very quickly but 8-19 is the max.

Malone1994 wrote: »
    I've had magnet for about a 5 months now and I find for the connection to be very hit and miss. Sometime it'll work with no problems other times it's just incredibly slow.
    My xbox live suffers greatly from it and I've tried so many different things to try and keep the connection in check, but it still runs really slowly and lags horribly.

Any ideas as to how I can fix this? I'm on a 24mb package.

This sounds like the line needs a better tuning profile. If you pop me a PM I can look into it.

Proobe wrote: »
    Is the magnet broadband available in Monaghan Town?
    Currently I'm on Eircom 3MB broadband

Up to 8.1Mb line dependant. Would this be of interest?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,536 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

I received my modem almost two weeks ago, but the completion date for installation is listed as the 16th of this month. The electrician is here installing the phone-line internally and is wondering if the modem should pick up a DSL connection today?

I received my modem almost two weeks ago, but the completion date for installation is listed as the 16th of this month. The electrician is here installing the phone-line internally and is wondering if the modem should pick up a DSL connection today?

This may have been done already. PM me and I'll look up the port.

PM the name on the account/number.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Proobe

Is there download limit in magnet broadband?
    Are there faster ping times in magnet than in eircom?

Proobe wrote: »

1. Is there download limit in magnet broadband?
    2. Are there faster ping times in magnet than in eircom?

1. No.
    2. This depends on the service provided by Magnet and the trace routes employed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 stewyitt

I was just wondering if i am doing something wrong? i have magnet broadband now for the past month or so, and initially the speed was a lot better then i had before with a different provider (1-2mbs at best) with magnet, it initially went up to 5mbs, but recently i haven't got above 1.5mbs. i haven't changed the setting, position, nothing...so what am i doing wrong?? i am living in tallaght, in killinarden.

could it be that the physical line in my house needs updating...the internal junction box has a telecom eirean logo on it!!! (to clarify, the phone line enters the house, hit the telecom eirean box, travels a meter and a half, and hits a new eircom box, then to router and phone)

can anyone help, hopefully someone from magnet??

stewyitt wrote: »
    I was just wondering if i am doing something wrong? i have magnet broadband now for the past month or so, and initially the speed was a lot better then i had before with a different provider (1-2mbs at best) with magnet, it initially went up to 5mbs, but recently i haven't got above 1.5mbs. i haven't changed the setting, position, nothing...so what am i doing wrong?? i am living in tallaght, in killinarden.

could it be that the physical line in my house needs updating...the internal junction box has a telecom eirean logo on it!!! (to clarify, the phone line enters the house, hit the telecom eirean box, travels a meter and a half, and hits a new eircom box, then to router and phone)

can anyone help, hopefully someone from magnet??

Can you pop me through a PM and I can look into the line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 970 ✭✭✭finnteme

I sent an email with complaint one month a go to Magnet, still havent received a reply, i sent an remainder last week.. still no reply. *** Correction, i sent the email 30.sep.2010) so 19 days ago.. sorry, it was my mistake ***

Im sure that i will leave Magnet when the contract is over.

Basic problem was that we were without a connection, then we got connected again, but with the wrong speed, that was corrected etc.. (And with help of Rory, cust. service never replied to emails etc or called back)

And the last drop (partially my mistake also) I was told that Magnet will take the subcsiption fee via direct debit at the last workingday of that month.
    Last month they took it on tuesday, instead of thurday, and because of that i was charged referral fees etc.
    (im using another bank account for direct debits)

finnteme wrote: »
    I sent an email with complaint one month a go to Magnet, still havent received a reply, i sent an remainder last week.. still no reply.

Im sure that i will leave Magnet when the contract is over.

Basic problem was that we were without a connection, then we got connected again, but with the wrong speed, that was corrected etc.. (And with help of Rory, cust. service never replied to emails etc or called back)

And the last drop (partially my mistake also) I was told that Magnet will take the subcsiption fee via direct debit at the last workingday of that month.
    Last month they took it on tuesday, instead of thurday, and because of that i was charged referral fees etc.
    (im using another bank account for direct debits)

Can you PM me your details and I can look into the details.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 kaisersosa

Hi Rory,

Decided to move to magnet due to the reaction I saw on boards.ie I was told when I ordered there is a slight chance I will loose connection for about 4 hours. I'm running a business from my home which needs Internet in order to function. My vodafone broadband stopped today, I plugged in the router but it did not work. After talking to one of your very nice representatives Pedro he said he will come back to me tomorrow. The reason I'm here is that if I'm without Internet over the weekend it will cost my business over €500. I really need a solution to this issue as I feel magnet should not have transferred the line if they where not ready to take on the service leaving me in this position.

I will pm my account number and contact number but I would like a reply in open forum so other people thinking of switching to magnet can see how good or bad the customer service is. Hopefully I will be on this board tomorrow singing your companies praise.

Hi Rory , can't pm from my phone but you have my phone number from a previous pm two weeks ago.
    kaisersosa wrote: »
    Hi Rory,

Decided to move to magnet due to the reaction I saw on boards.ie I was told when I ordered there is a slight chance I will loose connection for about 4 hours. I'm running a business from my home which needs Internet in order to function. My vodafone broadband stopped today, I plugged in the router but it did not work. After talking to one of your very nice representatives Pedro he said he will come back to me tomorrow. The reason I'm here is that if I'm without Internet over the weekend it will cost my business over €500. I really need a solution to this issue as I feel magnet should not have transferred the line if they where not ready to take on the service leaving me in this position.

I will pm my account number and contact number but I would like a reply in open forum so other people thinking of switching to magnet can see how good or bad the customer service is. Hopefully I will be on this board tomorrow singing your companies praise.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 SunnyMonday

Hi Rory,

Hoping you may be able to help me with a query, I was talking to your support team last week who said they would revert, but haven't yet.

My house is pre-wired for magnet unfortunately there are only 3 standard ports / sockets setup in the house (even though there are 7 cat-5 cables coming into the central Magnet hub).

When I spoke you support team they seemed reluctant to facilitate an extra port installation.. I was wondering how to proceed if I need to get extra network ports set-up?

Thank you

• Advertisement

Hi Rory , can't pm from my phone but you have my phone number from a previous pm two weeks ago.

Looking into this now.

Have you had an update on this?

Hi Rory,

Hoping you may be able to help me with a query, I was talking to your support team last week who said they would revert, but haven't yet.

My house is pre-wired for magnet unfortunately there are only 3 standard ports / sockets setup in the house (even though there are 7 cat-5 cables coming into the central Magnet hub).

When I spoke you support team they seemed reluctant to facilitate an extra port installation.. I was wondering how to proceed if I need to get extra network ports set-up?

Thank you

The most likely solution here would be to employ an electrician to install new sockets (like you would if they were power sockets).

These sockets need then to be feed back to the CPS (customer premises switch) packetfront device.

Hi There,

Just moved to magnet and as you can see from my other post I couldnt connect due to a fault on the line (Eircom issue). Spoke with two people in magnet level 1 support (Pedro) and level 2 support (Evelina). Both support staff where indeed very helpfull ringing me back with answers at every stage of the process.

They managed to get eircom to the exchange on a Friday afternoon of a bank holiday to solve the issue within 24 hours of my issue being brought to their attention.

The service is up and running and everything is going well. This kind of service in my oppinion is fantastic and I will reccomend magnet to anyone who is thinking of switching providers any time soon.

Hi Rory,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 mystiq

How are the uploads in magnet?

In a sales call (i called them 1st thou), guy told me they do not limit upload speed and i'll easly get around a meg.

True story?

Is it actually worth overpaying as for 40% less i can have 30mb/3mb from upc.

Which one you think should i go for?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭davoxx

Hi,

Where on the website does it actually say that it is unlimited downloads? I'd be looking at a 12mb or greater line, but no where on the website does it say about download limits, and whether the fair usage is used instead of a download limit.

Thanks,
    Dave

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 ConorHughes

What upload speeds could I expect from the Magnet 50mb broadband package?

• Advertisement

What upload speeds could I expect from the Magnet 50mb broadband package?

8Mb

After Rory escalated my matter to Magnet customer service, i got a reply next day from the financial department regarding my direct debit, that was completly bull****.

I havent received any reply from technical department, but my speed seems to be restored now, thanks for that.

No email regarding the compensation of downtime and all the hassle that i have had. (first emails sent like over one month ago)

I will now finish this case on my side, because i cant get any official reply to my emails/questions, and will end my contract with Magnet when the 12 month contract is over. My internet is now working, and lets hope that its working in the future also, so i dont need to contact they sc. customerservice.

mystiq wrote: »
    How are the uploads in magnet?

In a sales call (i called them 1st thou), guy told me they do not limit upload speed and i'll easly get around a meg.

True story?

Is it actually worth overpaying as for 40% less i can have 30mb/3mb from upc.

Which one you think should i go for?

From a Magnet perpective; Its true that we do not limit the upload and in my experience the speed usually does go over 512kb (distance depending).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭moneyminded

Hi Rory,

I recently downgraded to 25Mb (Fibre) from Magnet ultimate (Tv, Phone and 2MB). I have returned the TV box and Phone Adapter as well. But i received a bill for 40 euros (I was told the cost is 35 for 25 MB).

I rang the accounts and asked about the same and they said they will update the account and send a new bill.

This is about a month back.

Now i was charged 40 euros again in my direct debit and never received the updated bill.

Can you please look into this and so that the they send correct bill next time and credit my account with 5 euro.

Hi Rory,

I recently downgraded to 25Mb (Fibre) from Magnet ultimate (Tv, Phone and 2MB). I have returned the TV box and Phone Adapter as well. But i received a bill for 40 euros (I was told the cost is 35 for 25 MB).

I rang the accounts and asked about the same and they said they will update the account and send a new bill.

This is about a month back.

Now i was charged 40 euros again in my direct debit and never received the updated bill.

Can you please look into this and so that the they send correct bill next time and credit my account with 5 euro.

My account number is

Im going to look into this now but it probably isnt a good idea to include your account number in the public forum.

I would advise deletion of this account number.

• Advertisement

Im going to look into this now but it probably isnt a good idea to include your account number in the public forum.

I would advise deletion of this account number.

Acc no deleted, sent PM already anyways

thanks for the call Rory.

thanks for the call Rory.

Happy to help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 ConorHughes

8mb upload? Is this depending on the area where I live?

8mb upload? Is this depending on the area where I live?

In all fibre areas the upload is 8Mb on the 50Mb pack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 stacey_girl

Hi Rory,
    I am still waiting on the one4all voucher that you promised me for getting my dad to sign up for your broadband service, its been a month and there is still no sign of it??? Will I ever recieve it or was it a false promise? You haven't replied to my pm so I thought I would ask here instead

Hi Rory,
    I am still waiting on the one4all voucher that you promised me for getting my dad to sign up for your broadband service, its been a month and there is still no sign of it??? Will I ever recieve it or was it a false promise? You haven't replied to my pm so I thought I would ask here instead

We are looking into this at the moment. The voucher went to the wrong address.

I will give you an update as soon as possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Simon Gruber Says

Rory,

I am confused as to whether Magnet is available in my area. I'm currently with Smart. I put my current landline number into the line checker on the website and it said Magnet is unavailable in my area. However, when I put my old Eircom number in, it then says it is available. Also tried it with the number for a house nearby and it said it was available there. I am in the Raheny area. I used UPC's adress checker and apparently none of their services are available here.

Also, the phone lines in the house are standard ADSL phone sockets, would my house need to be cabled the receive Magnet and if so, what kind of cost is involved?

Regards,

Simon

Rory,

I am confused as to whether Magnet is available in my area. I'm currently with Smart. I put my current landline number into the line checker on the website and it said Magnet is unavailable in my area. However, when I put my old Eircom number in, it then says it is available. Also tried it with the number for a house nearby and it said it was available there. I am in the Raheny area. I used UPC's adress checker and apparently none of their services are available here.

Also, the phone lines in the house are standard ADSL phone sockets, would my house need to be cabled the receive Magnet and if so, what kind of cost is involved?

Regards,

Simon

We are available there, your smart number is probably not the original number for your line.

If you like PM me and I can talk you through your options.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Himselfe

Hi Rory

I've finally (after 6 weeks) gotten my Magnet connection up and running, it came on on Wednesday, but I only have 160 kbps download speed!! What happened to my 24 meg line??

I've been onto your 'support' people since Wednesday, who told me it would be fixed the next day. Now its Friday and I've still had no joy. Now they tell me it could be Tuesday before anyone even looks at it.

Can you shed some light on this for me? If its not sorted before the end of the day I'll have to just cancel and go with another provider because I need this connection for work purposes and my boss will kill me if I can't work with decent speeds next week!!

• Advertisement

Himselfe wrote: »
    Hi Rory

I've finally (after 6 weeks) gotten my Magnet connection up and running, it came on on Wednesday, but I only have 160 kbps download speed!! What happened to my 24 meg line??

I've been onto your 'support' people since Wednesday, who told me it would be fixed the next day. Now its Friday and I've still had no joy. Now they tell me it could be Tuesday before anyone even looks at it.

Can you shed some light on this for me? If its not sorted before the end of the day I'll have to just cancel and go with another provider because I need this connection for work purposes and my boss will kill me if I can't work with decent speeds next week!!

Looking into this now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 janetfinance

Hi Rory

are you in Salthill in Galway? if you are what speed can I expect to get

I made one more attempt to get compensated for the downtime etc that i had, and lodged a complaint 30th october.

From Magnet homepage:
    2.3. All complaints lodged will be acknowledged by Magnet within five working days either by telephone, in writing or by e-mail

Guess what... not a sign ab. email/phonecall etc to confirm my complaint

:mad:

I cant imagine how this company can work/survive with customer service like this.
    Is there any other official instance that i can turn to make complaint ab. Magnets behaviour?

I made one more attempt to get compensated for the downtime etc that i had, and lodged a complaint 30th october.

From Magnet homepage:
    2.3. All complaints lodged will be acknowledged by Magnet within five working days either by telephone, in writing or by e-mail

I cant imagine how this company can work/survive with customer service like this.
    Is there any other official instance that i can turn to make complaint ab. Magnets behaviour?

I am looking into this now.

Hi Rory

are you in Salthill in Galway? if you are what speed can I expect to get

Salthill is in between 2 exchanges. I'll PM you and we can go into more detail.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Wookster76

From Magnet homepage:

I was in a similar position... Magnet for the most part is a decent service but their customer support services are a joke.. I recently had a lenghty down time .. again experienced first hand the customer service run around " Yea we'll get them to call you back.. this is just a call center".. after a week I gave up.. and Cancelled the account even that took a week to get a call back on. Havent looked back since I went to UPC.

Wookster76 wrote: »
    I was in a similar position... Magnet for the most part is a decent service but their customer support services are a joke.. I recently had a lenghty down time .. again experienced first hand the customer service run around " Yea we'll get them to call you back.. this is just a call center".. after a week I gave up.. and Cancelled the account even that took a week to get a call back on. Havent looked back since I went to UPC.

Is there anything I can help you with?

We have improved our CS quite drastically in recent months and despite this particular customers difficulty it must be said that customer experiences with Magnet have improved dramatically as can be viewed on this very site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 stacey_girl

Hi Rory,
    Why did I just get a bill for €72.26, when 1) My Monthly charge should be €40 and not €72.26 and 2) I paid up in advance a couple of months ago.
    Also is there any sign of my voucher?

You should have my account details as we have spoken many times.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Wookster76

Is there anything I can help you with?

We have improved our CS quite drastically in recent months and despite this particular customers difficulty it must be said that customer experiences with Magnet have improved dramatically as can be viewed on this very site.

No Thanks Rory despite your efforts Magnet still fail miserably on the customer services front. If it doesn’t improve drastically you’ll continue to lose customers.

• Advertisement

Wookster76 wrote: »
    No Thanks Rory despite your efforts Magnet still fail miserably on the customer services front. If it doesn’t improve drastically you’ll continue to lose customers.

I think this is unfair, but you have made your point.

We will endeavour to help the persons who are currently experiencing problems with their bills.

Advertisement