Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IBB blocking P2P traffic?

Options
  • 08-12-2006 1:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭

Anyone know if IBB are now blocking P2P traffic? I haven't been able to get a decent speed on well seeded torrents for over a week now. Speed test on irishisptest.com is sky high, higher than usual even, but I'm lucky to get 3kb/s on a torrent that I would've gotten 70-90kb/s on not so long ago. What gives?

Anyone got any info or advice, as it would be very much appreciated?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

hmmm my speeds have terrible lately aswell....but im with eircom and using a similar type of applications and my speed on speed test sites is high
    (obviously i only use p2p for legal filesharing)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Irishpimpdude

The must be and heres me thinking it was my router or my computer... trying anything possible to fix it... been trying for a few days :mad: im not a happy camper

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭vasch_ro

I am with IBB as well and have noticed p2p speeds not their normal good selves over the same time frame as well, could be one of those things I suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Redisle

hmm according to the website # No Caps
    # Irish Broadband don't block any ports or rate limit on different types of traffic .

That would suggest no... i havent been downloading any torrents for about 3 weeks or so... the only thing i used to get was a certain weekly thing which has sinced stopped for a break(legal thing of course;) )

I just started a torrent to check speeds and it got up to 40kbps with only 4 seeders so i dont think they are limiting it.. at least not for me anyway

ab_cork wrote:
    hmm according to the website # No Caps
    # Irish Broadband don't block any ports or rate limit on different types of traffic .

That would suggest no... i havent been downloading any torrents for about 3 weeks or so... the only thing i used to get was a certain weekly thing which has sinced stopped for a break(legal thing of course;) )

I just started a torrent to check speeds and it got up to 40kbps with only 4 seeders so i dont think they are limiting it.. at least not for me anyway

What torrent client are you using?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

Lets just say I am seeding in excess of 100 torrents at the moment (all legimate). My usual speeds would be in the 320KB/s mark, I'm currently running at 80K or so. Haven't a clue what's up, everything else is running at fast speeds. I've tried different ports, verified that NAT is OK, but still no speed increase. Can't understand it at all.

Yea NAT seems to be ok but my DHT on azueres says firewalled... can anyone else confirm this with azueres?

Edit: look at this pic... theres defo something wrong lol

was torrenting yesterday at full (2mb) speed, so nothing wrong on my end (touches wood)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

Don't think so. I've just had a look at my server and it's downloading at 216Kb/s which is about as fast as I ever get. That's pretty good for 2Mb. I'm still waiting for my extra Mb upgrade :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

snappieT wrote:
    Lets just say I am seeding in excess of 100 torrents at the moment (all legimate). My usual speeds would be in the 320KB/s mark

Why not just seed out the 10 most needed torrents and that way everybody would get a decent speed from you.

• Advertisement

What torrent client are you using?

Azureus

Ya i just started a random torrent there and im getting an average of around 250-290kbps... so no problems here.. i have seen it reach 340 before though but the swarm speed on this torrent isnt very big...

Maybe they are just throttling large downloaders?? Im not a very large downloader... azureus popped up the other day and told me ive downloaded 20gigs but thats over about 4 months so i wouldnt say im a heavy downloader..

How much stuff a month do you people with problems download?

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Jilm

gloobag wrote:
    Anyone know if IBB are now blocking P2P traffic? I haven't been able to get a decent speed on well seeded torrents for over a week now. Speed test on irishisptest.com is sky high, higher than usual even, but I'm lucky to get 3kb/s on a torrent that I would've gotten 70-90kb/s on not so long ago. What gives?
    I'm on the Limerick Clarion mast and having a similar prob. Downloading around the 20kBps using uTorrent, tried different ports with no change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭TheFredJ

the torrents being served on http://www.molotovdigital.com are peer-assisted, so you should get good download speeds on them regardless of size of swarm. if you're still getting low download speeds on them, then it must be an isp issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭gloobag

Jilm wrote:
    I'm on the Limerick Clarion mast and having a similar prob. Downloading around the 20kBps using uTorrent, tried different ports with no change.

I'm also in Limerick, so there must be something goin on here. Just wish I knew if it's a genuine problem, or they're doing this on purpose :(

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Jilm

gloobag wrote:
    I'm also in Limerick, so there must be something goin on here. Just wish I knew if it's a genuine problem, or they're doing this on purpose :(
    The cynic in me suggests that IBB are throttling some users P2P ports to free up bandwidth for the long awaited upgrade ...hopefully that isn't the case.

Jilm wrote:
    The cynic in me suggests that IBB are throttling some users P2P ports to free up bandwidth for the long awaited upgrade ...hopefully that isn't the case.
    Well I already got my upgrade, and it was chugging along grand at 320K until last week, when it dropped below 100K. Killester mast here.

Yea NAT seems to be ok but my DHT on azueres says firewalled... can anyone else confirm this with azueres?

Edit: look at this pic... theres defo something wrong lol
    DHT requires your UDP port to be open. It's a sham and a waste of bandwidth, you're as well to turn it off, and it definately isn't causing the problem. Those speeds you're getting in comparison with the swarm are, I agree, useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭valor

im a pretty heavy downlaoder and in the last few days its been **** slow for me , really annoying

has anybody contacted support about this?

Oh, mine seems to have resolved itself. Back up to normal speeds.

• Advertisement

snappieT wrote:
    Oh, mine seems to have resolved itself. Back up to normal speeds.
    Hmm mine seems better but still not the same... im getting around 120-150kb/s :mad:

its strange mine were fine but now for some reason i wont get speeds of over 100 on any single torrent... i was downloading a few at the same time and getting maybe 60 to 100 on each one but any on there own wont go over 100??
    its kind of a strange problem... and these were very well seeded torrents...
    ah well

• Registered Users Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭valor

My torrents wont go above 15k/sec

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭Bambaata

where is evryone situated. Im moving to Glasnevin and was going for the 2mb line i think from a mast around Collins Ave. I wont be going with them if this is a problem in that area! Is it still happening? I had a provider stop p2p at home so i switched from bitcomet to Operas one and all was ok then?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

change port and see what happens.

I've already changed ports. The problem disappeared for a while a couple of nights ago, but it has since come back. It's not ports, I changed all those. It's not the connection in general, I get full speeds from http uploads. All that remains is traffic shaping, I think. And fairly advnaced traffic shaping, I have encryption turned on...

Any other ideas? Has anyone actually called IBB?

snappieT wrote:
    I've already changed ports. The problem disappeared for a while a couple of nights ago, but it has since come back. It's not ports, I changed all those. It's not the connection in general, I get full speeds from http uploads. All that remains is traffic shaping, I think. And fairly advnaced traffic shaping, I have encryption turned on...

Any other ideas? Has anyone actually called IBB?
    Think ill give them a bell tomorrow...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 cbmkid07

Think ill give them a bell tomorrow...
    Very interested in what they say, obviously you cant just say your p2p is not what it use to be, i know there are legal reasons for it but lets not kid ourselves the majority are using it for all the wrong reasons. Once you mention p2p they will kick to touch, anyways please post their response

Ok ill just use knoppix as an example while im on the phone to them...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭Mr. Flibble

I came to the forum to ask about this and saw this thread. I've been having the same problems you all seem to be having. ie. in the last week or two my bittorrent traffic has become very very slow, 20K/s. All other traffic is fast as usual. I would imagine I'm classed as a heavy bittorrent user. I'm using Azereus and am on the RTE mast.

I just rang IBB and they said that they have been doing maintenance on their high site (I'm not sure if she meant just RTE or a few different sites) and they should be finished by the end of the week. . . I have a feeling I'll be ringing them again next week!

Advertisement