Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Starting Out - DSLR Photography

• 08-12-2006 9:19am
    Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I have taken the plunge this week and bought my first DSLR. I have wanted one for ages but have only got round to it now. I have a few questions that I would appreciate thoughts on.

1. Whats the best way to figure out the various manual settings? Is it possible to teach yourself over time? Any good books out there for the novice? I am totally lost at the moment!

2. I know the answer probably to this but I will still throw it to the board! In the last few days since I got my camera I have kept it in the boot of my car with the good intention of taking random shots in public places etc. My job involves travel to various parts of the country so I have good opportunities to take shots. My problem is though simply having the balls to take shots in public :o Am I alone in this respect or did others find this problem when starting out? Everywhere I go I see things I want to shoot but just a little shy of snapping away on my tod in public places :)

Have to go to work now but I'm sure I will have more questions later!

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33 Gwenneh

What did you buy?

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Nikon D80 with 18-135mm lens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,447 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Gwenneh wrote:
    What did you buy?

In fairness Gwenneh how is that supposed to help Felixdhc?

Felixdhc, in relation to question 1, I am new to DSLRs myself but I did own a film SLR so I did some learning about SLR photography with that (cost me a fortune!). Since buying the DSLR however I have learned far more about SLRs because I am not afraid to try all the features out on the camera because I won't end up having to pay a fortune to see my results.

I know is sounds silly but read the manual a few times with the camera beside you. First read up on how an SLR camera works, how mechanisms like shutter and aperture work together. This is standard to all SLRs so you will pick this up on the web. Then maybe learn the meaning of aperture and f-stops and depth of field.

Now for some basic practicals - Perhaps for now just stick to the 'Priority' modes, for example set your dial to 'A' (Aperture Priority) and see how the depth of field changes in your pictures for the f-stops you select. Also note the shutter speed selected by the camera as you select each aperture setting. Notice when you change an aperture setting for the same subject under the same lighting conditions the shutter speed will adjust accordingly to produce the same shot...different settings, same result (ideally :) )

Play around with depth of field, pick an object like a can of coke or something and focus on it, play around with your aperture settings and notice how the background becomes thrown out of focus when you select high aperture values (low f-stops) and how it comes into focus when you select low aperture values (high f-stop).

Now switch to Shutter Priority (S) on your dial. Here you select the shutter speed and the camera will handle the aperture. Play around with fast shutter speeds, notice your image may end up underexposed as the shutter is not open long enough for sufficient light to enter etc.. (depending on lighting conditions!). Also play with slow shutter speeds, notice how difficult it become to take a shot with a shutter speed of 1 second for example (you will need to but a tripod soon!)

As you play with shutter speeds notice the aperture values the camera selects..for example if you selected a slow shutter speed the aperture f-stop value will start getting higher as the lens opening gets smaller because the shutter is open for long periods to not as much light is needed to flow through the lens.

I hope I'm not confusing you! Just keep messing with settings, you can't go wrong with digital when it comes to learning the ropes of your DSLR.

For your second question, hmm, I must admit I am sometimes a tad shy myself...but anytime I did go out I noticed that people are just curious about what you're doing. They don't seem to be judging you or anything, they just probably think you are some pro/guru who knows what they are doing...so at all times look confident even when you're not and you'll be fine!

Recently I went to a local soccer match in Passage West on a wet,cold Sunday morning...unless you were a player or the coach you had no right to be there (should be in bed like most sensible people!). Anyway I had the camera so I took it out and had a go at some action shots...I was clueless but they didn't know that! I did realise however that my Nikkor 18 - 135 lens is not fast enough for action shots..in for Passage West soccer club action!

have fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭mikeanywhere

First of all well done for the purchase and I am sure I speak for all who visit here to wish you the best. We eagerley await tosee your pics :D

I am a newby to DSLR myself and it took a lot of pics to get things right. What I did was to take a pic of a subject (whatever that may be) and try different settings to see what effects are created by that.

Reading and getting tips off people on this or other forums is a great help too as generally a lot of people are only to eager to share how they captured a shot and provide the exif data.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Always handy to know what kit a person has, give reccomendations for gear and all :)

Anyways...

Manual settings, there are books out there, or tutorials on the internet, but in all honesty, the best way is to use them yourself. Just keep shooting.

The taking photos of people thing...Yeah, I think most people can shy away a bit from it...but the more you shoot the more confident you get.

Best of luck. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33 Gwenneh

In fairness Gwenneh how is that supposed to help Felixdhc?

Oh. I don't know - how about because the controls on a Canon and a Nikon differ pretty wildly, even if the theory behind them doesn't? Or maybe because I know a few excellent Nikon related sites that offer excellent tutorials that would be largely useless to someone shooting another brand...?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,724 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

As i'm learning myself I found this website helpfull, explaining the basics in an seasy to follow manner
    http://www.canon.co.jp/Imaging/enjoydslr/index.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

A book I love to flick through for inspiration and tips is
    National Geographic ,photography field guide.
    It's a nice neat little book that shows you how to use various settings on the camera and tell you why certain shots where taken and work.
    Its at least worth a gander.

Congratulations on your investment and good luck with it.

Brian.

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Thanks for all the help and suggestions, really helps to get good advice from people with knowledge! Thanks RFR, very helpful and detailed reply that I could actually understand.

I messed around more with some manual settings today, really just manual focus but even that I enjoyed and I found I could play around more with my shots...very basic I'm sure to you lot but nice change from my years of point and shoot :) Also setup my flickr account and posted 5 photos...just need to wait till they open my account, 3-5 days seemingly :( Probably shouldn't have but the first 5 I messed about with on Photoshop (my 30 day trial which I assume I'll end up having to fork out for in the end, love it already even if I barely understand it at this stage).

I think regarding being shy in public I'll just have to get over it and have a tougher neck!

Thanks again and I look forward to constructive criticism when I post some photos and my flickr account is active :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

Hey there. I'm a newbie myself so not sure how much help I'll be. I'm currently reading John Hedgecoe's 'New Introductory Photography Course' and finding it very easy to understand. Its film slr (or at least the edition I have is..) but the basics are the same. I'd read a few books before, but it seemed to 'click' with this one - very well explained. And its got projects to build your skill levels. I got it from the local library. Don't order it from Walkinstown though or I'll have to give it back :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 593 ✭✭✭davmigil

Also lots of good stuff on net about general photography: http://www.photo.net
    http://www.photoinf.com
    that site thebaz mentioned is a excellent primer

Join a local camera club.

If you can't afford PS, PS Elements is pretty good. I have v3.0. Some of the stuff that is missing (e.g.Channels) can be reproduced in other ways, so it is not as limited as you may think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭leinsterman

Felixdhc wrote:
    Hi All,

I have taken the plunge this week and bought my first DSLR. I have wanted one for ages but have only got round to it now. I have a few questions that I would appreciate thoughts on.

1. Whats the best way to figure out the various manual settings? Is it possible to teach yourself over time? Any good books out there for the novice? I am totally lost at the moment!

2. I know the answer probably to this but I will still throw it to the board! In the last few days since I got my camera I have kept it in the boot of my car with the good intention of taking random shots in public places etc. My job involves travel to various parts of the country so I have good opportunities to take shots. My problem is though simply having the balls to take shots in public :o Am I alone in this respect or did others find this problem when starting out? Everywhere I go I see things I want to shoot but just a little shy of snapping away on my tod in public places :)

Have to go to work now but I'm sure I will have more questions later!

Thanks.

Firstly ... welcome ... hope you enjoy the new toy ...

As to books can I recommend "Basic Photography" by Michael Langford. It is a bilble to many of the pros ... covers everything ... and film and digital

Second - Shooting in public ... you just have to get out there and do it ... you get the odd stare but you get used to it ... in my case I like to explore different ways to shoot a subject so for example I was recently lying on the cobbles at Smithfield ... if you are shooting towards someone in particular eg. someone at their work, the best thing to do is ask their permission and promise to send on some images ... nice thing about digital is you can even show them what you want ... its amazing but when you ask a stranger for permission many instantly understand you do not want them to pose and just carry on about their business ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭Trev M

Thanks for posting that link , really super site for a beginner like myself;)

thebaz wrote: »
    As i'm learning myself I found this website helpfull, explaining the basics in an seasy to follow manner
    http://www.canon.co.jp/Imaging/enjoydslr/index.html

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

I'm also a newbie to photography - camera was a Christmas present.
    For my birthday I got two books by Scott Kelby - The Digital Photography Book and The Digital Photography Book, Volume 2 :)
    I have to say they are both brilliant - not in any way technical, they basically show you what buttons to press to get a certain type of picture. Well worth a read.
    You'll also learn a lot here, especially in the challenges and assignments.
    Happy snapping!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭soccerc

Regardless of what camera system Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson

A very simple book it covers the basics of aperture, lighting and shutter speed.

Usually available on ebay or amazon for about €20 new or €15 second hand delivered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

Practice makes perfect, always hated that saying but it is true. And every new camera you get from here on in will require getting used to, and there will be many if the bug bites, your bank balance will be drastically lowered but sure it will be worth it!

You tube videos are a great help but nikon have dedicated online tutorials for each camera so just watch and learn, I hate reading ir doing any sort of research so have learnt mostly by practice but I did watch the nikon tutorials when I got my first nikon as it speeds up the process of getting used to your new camera.

Re nervouse in public, heck I get a fair few jobs in now and I still hate taking the camera out in public when I am alone, I'm grand at a wedding, even gigs but going into the public as a member of the public rather than woprking as a photographer and whipping out this big ass camera always makes me feel a bit silly!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

beware of the zombies :pac: (apparently the supermarket is the safest place when threads like this rise from the dead) ;)

All good advice though in fairness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

I've yet to take my 450D out... just reading up on all the different settings on www.learnslr.com

Can't wait for the weekend!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭Fionn

i've yet to finish a book - maybe i should! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Anouilh

There is not problem about taking photos in public places. Start with easy subjects like street vendors and entertainers. You will find that there are many people with cameras around and it will come to seem easier as you get to enjoy it. Dublin has wonderful street scenes.

http://www.dublinblog.ie/tag/st-patricks-day/

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

soccerc wrote: »

A very simple book it covers the basics of aperture, lighting and shutter speed.

Usually available on ebay or amazon for about €20 new or €15 second hand delivered.

Have to recommend this also,

Just ordered today on Amazon for Stg£13.00 new delivered. Too dear on E Bay. Looking forward to the read. Thanks for the tip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭dreamer_ire

I echo this. Am a newbie myself and it's some learning curve! My tips would be....

1. take it out of the boot - make a deliberate effort to bring it with you, that way you'll remember you have it!

2. don't drop it!

3. take the same photo multiple times and play with the settings so you can see for yourself what each one does and vary the angle you take them from too (I'm still doing this lol)

4. don't forget you can take photos of anything... including what's in your home (also links to point 1... can't do it if it's in the boot of your car ;))

Enjoy it and do post your pics. The folks here are very good and I've learned a lot from their comments.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭djd80

I was in the same position as you and basically did a couple of things...

Num 1 was read the manual so you have a basic understanding
    Num 2 was download Iexif viewer
    Num 3 was to see a shot I wanted to take and then look up the exif data of similar shots on flickr and over time i understood why they were used and how to take shots myself
    Num 4 was read this forum and learn from all the people on here
    Num 5 was post some of your shots up and get criticised. If trying to avoid too much criticism doesnt make you concentrate on taking a shot nothing will!!

Hope that helps.....

dar_d wrote: »
    Num 2 was download Iexif viewer

Which one would you recommend? I'm always wary of downloading free stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭djd80

www.opanda.com/en/iexif/

Why would you be wary of downloading free stuff?

dar_d wrote: »
    Why would you be wary of downloading free stuff?

You get nothing for nothing. Unless it comes recommended by someone or I'm 100% sure of the source then I just don't do it. There are too many evil people out there waiting to infect your computer with all sorts of sh1te. Others are harvesting email addresses and selling them on to spammers. A lot of "free" stuff requires you to register and provide a valid email address, then the problems can start.

I've heard of opanda and I presume you're using it, so I wouldn't have a problem with it. If you search google you get lots of different exif readers but it's knowing which one to trust.

Advertisement