Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Russia's Lefortovo Tunnel

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

I'd imagine we are guaranteed that the tunnel will be closed due to 'incidents' at least once every month, quite possibly more...
    Maybe it's just the sceptic in me and I'm being unfair

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,729 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

It was in the paper the other day that they are expecting the tunnel to close fortnightly due to incidents in the tunnel and monthly IIRC for training.
    Traffic in the tunnel will be given priority over other traffic to help them exit the tunnel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭saobh_ie

Yeah scarey, I'll not be going into it if they're expecting a crash serious enough to close it every fortnight. For every serious crash theres literally hundreds of minor ones I'd expect so screw that. I'll stay upstairs where theres something to go if something goes pear shaped.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

saobh_ie wrote:
    Yeah scarey, I'll not be going into it if they're expecting a crash serious enough to close it every fortnight. For every serious crash theres literally hundreds of minor ones I'd expect so screw that. I'll stay upstairs where theres something to go if something goes pear shaped.
    Any crash that brings cars to a halt will close the tunnel, so I wouldn't worry too much.;)

Anan1 wrote:
    Any crash that brings cars to a halt will close the tunnel, so I wouldn't worry too much.;)
    1 car rolling on the M50 fecked up the M50 & N2 & N3 the other day. If the tunnel closed and there were emergency vehicles ttaking priority on the M1/M50/surrounding roads then it will do as much of not more harm to the traffic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

kbannon wrote:
    1 car rolling on the M50 fecked up the M50 & N2 & N3 the other day. If the tunnel closed and there were emergency vehicles ttaking priority on the M1/M50/surrounding roads then it will do as much of not more harm to the traffic
    I think it's the idea of being stuck in the tunnel that saobh has the real problem with!

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,501 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Bloody hell! Look at the very last car, looks like a blue lada. Is it just me or does it sh!t itself at the very end? :D

Saw that - presumably the fuel tank ruptured

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

After seeing the following accident I am staying away from tunnels, for ever!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3qrMTjZPaw

• Registered Users Posts: 65,399 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

What happened with the one lorry that suddenly is two lorries (about 1 minute in)? :confused:

• Advertisement

A quick google explained why there are so many crashes there:

The tunnel runs under a river and is not 100% watertight, so in the russian winter the leaking water freezes from the cold air rushing through the tunnel which is why so many people lose control of their cars through there!

So we just have to avoid the port tunnel when it's cold then :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Pataman

Or it could be the Russian drivers, they are quite frankly mad. Moscovite drivers are the most impatient people I have ever come across.

But sure our tunnel is watertight! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

DonJose wrote:

So have you stopeed driving in cars altogether after all the footage of car crashes on road on the tv?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

unkel wrote:
    What happened with the one lorry that suddenly is two lorries (about 1 minute in)? :confused:
    Yes, I watched it a few times an can't figure it out. :confused:

The bendi-bus was fairly dramatic but he seems to have stabilised it. I drive one myself occasionally and dread when the 'tail begins to wag the dog'. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

Stekelly wrote:
    So have you stopeed driving in cars altogether after all the footage of car crashes on road on the tv?
    Where did I say that??? Tunnels scare the sh!te out of me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

Yes, I watched it a few times an can't figure it out. :confused:

The bendi-bus was fairly dramatic but he seems to have stabilised it. I drive one myself occasionally and dread when the 'tail begins to wag the dog'. :eek:

Looks to me like another truck tries to undertake (on the right-hand side of the first one), hard to see for sure though

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

ciarsd wrote:
    I'd imagine we are guaranteed that the tunnel will be closed due to 'incidents' at least once every month, quite possibly more...
    Maybe it's just the sceptic in me and I'm being unfair

First closure will come on Sunday when there will be a pile-up involving 10000 runners. :D

Yeah I reckon the driver did very well. I find it damned more complex to drive a vehicle with a trailer, especially if vehicle and trailer are about equal in weight and the vehicle does not have power steering

And did I mention reversing? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

unkel wrote:
    Yeah I reckon the driver did very well. I find it damned more complex to drive a vehicle with a trailer, especially if vehicle and trailer are about equal in weight
    In low-floor bendis, the second part is probably heavier than the first. The engine is located at the rear and the bus is driven via the third axle, not the centre one. This makes the driving dynamics a bit different to the norm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

That second video is a good lesson in turning on the hazards when you encounter a traffic jam on a motorway. The peugeot didn't stand a chance though.

I'd say that was a horrible accident scene.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭DeBeere

DonJose wrote:

Looks like the small black car behind the truck was obliterated:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Christ on a bicycle, that 2nd video is horrifying.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Wertz wrote:
    Christ on a bicycle, that 2nd video is horrifying.
    Yep, and a similar crash could happen on any Irish road, crashes like this aren't just limited to tunnels. Eg a contractor puts temp traffic lights just past a blind bend, a line of cars stops at the lights waiting for them to turn green, next thing a driver comes around the bend too fast or not paying attention and bam.

If stopped at traffic lights in a scenario like this it's a good idea to have the car in gear and to be thinking about possible escape route

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Yeah a woman who gave me my first few driving lessons was telling me about an experience she had where she was stopped at a level crossing and some guy in an artic came up behind her way way too fast....she said that only she had the car in gear she'd have been killed....she had to lurch the car to the left and crash into the barrier....the truck smashed through the barrier too but didn't make it onto the tracks (which had a train oncoming).
    Her point was that it doesn't just matter what's in front of you and that even when stopped you need to be fully aware of what's happening all around your car.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

I'd pay good money to have a seat on the back of the bendi-bus.
    That would be one hell of a ride.:D

What happened with the one lorry that suddenly is two lorries (about 1 minute in)?

Yeah went over that part a few times to see what happened.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

The accident with 2 trucks on the minute mark is faked. I wonder how many of the others are bogus too. Note, there is 1 truck and then there is 2 all of a sudden - one facing the wrong way.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,400 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Using a series of tunnels in Gran Canaria (speed 80 km/h, minimum separation 75m), I say a guy in the over-taking lane doing the limit, unable to safely pull in to the driving lane, only to have some impatient fool sit on his tail the whole way.

Maintain your distance and watch your speed.

Map http://www.roads.ru/ttk/lefortovo.htm

The accident with 2 trucks on the minute mark is faked

How do you know for sure?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Victor wrote:
    Using a series of tunnels in Gran Canaria (speed 80 km/h, minimum separation 75m), I say a guy in the over-taking lane doing the limit, unable to safely pull in to the driving lane, only to have some impatient fool sit on his tail the whole way.

Maintain your distance and watch your speed.

Map http://www.roads.ru/ttk/lefortovo.htm
    No speaky russkie, comrade Viktor! :D

Advertisement