Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This quote for laying concrete too high?

Options
  • 08-12-2006 10:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭

Hi,
    In a nutshell, I bought a steel shed, and I got the manufacturer to recommend someone to lay the concrete floor. When he came out I asked hime to do some paths as well. Now, starting from scratch, he quotes me 50 Euro a sq yd, i.e. digging out, filling with stone, timbers, levelling, compressing, dpm for the shed, buying the concrete, pouring, finishing.

When I look at the area involved - the shed is 13' * 10', and then roughly about another 30 sq yards of paths, it's not a huge area, but now I'm up to about 2,500. It's about 5 cubic metres of concrete @ ~80 Euro a cubic m.
    That's 2,000 Euro for him .... for 3/4 days work. He has his machines - mini-digger, compressor, floating yoke ....

Is this too much do yis think?

Thanks a mil.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Wobs

You told us the cost of concrete, but you left out the cost of hardcore/stones, timbres and dpm, also his insurance and running costs for machines.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Manuel

Fair enough, Wobs. There's no hardcore. I had a large mound of 804 grade gravel left over from a previous job, which he says is sufficient for this job, so no cost to him there. Timbers I presume he re-uses for every job, no cost there. DPM, insurance, machine running costs can be included ok.

So I'm just wondering if 50 Euro/sq yd would be considered reasonable.

Thanks,
    /M.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭pbergin

Manuel wrote:
    Hi,
    When I look at the area involved - the shed is 13' * 10', and then roughly about another 30 sq yards of paths, it's not a huge area, but now I'm up to about 2,500. It's about 5 cubic metres of concrete @ ~80 Euro a cubic m.
    That's 2,000 Euro for him .... for 3/4 days work. He has his machines - mini-digger, compressor, floating yoke ....

Is this too much do yis think?

Thanks a mil.

Are those measurements 13 feet by 10 feet?
    If so that is around 12sq meters, the base for concerte probably should be around 4 inchs deep(depending what you are going to use it for), that would work out between 1&2 cubit metres of concrete, 5 put it around 12 inchs deep.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Manuel

Hi,
    I think you forgot the paths. You're right about the shed area, and the depth, but there's another ~30 sq yd of paths also. ~45 sq yards altogether.

I got my back yard concreted already. It was a much larger area, but the fill was already there, so there wasn't as much work. I got about 200 sq yds done for 3,000 Euro. This now is a much smaller area, which is why I'm a bit put off by the quote, but in fairness all the ground work has to be done in this case, and it's paths rather than one big solid area, which makes a difference I suppose ...

So I guess what I'm looking for is what is a reasonable quote per sq yard for the full job from scratch.

Thanks again.
    /M.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭pbergin

Ahhh, yea I forgot the foot path.
    I recently widened our driveway put down some beach pebble where the lawn once was, it really is an easy job, I hired a 3 tonne digger and whacker for around 150, dug it out and put down hardcore in an afternoon. It only took an hour to put down the frame for the concrete, then I had some ready mix delivered for 200, job done.
    If you were to do it yourself you would probably do it for around 500/600.
    BUT I suppose if you are doing footpaths around a house is going to make it alot more time consuming, so my job was allot simpler

• Advertisement
Advertisement