Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Accident, withholding insurance details

Options
  • 08-12-2006 11:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭

Hi all

Apologies if this has been covered before - I did search but I couldn't find a similar situation.

Basically, my mother is a HSE health nurse who visits patients in their homes on a short-term basis. On a visit to a patient 4 weeks ago, their son was visiting and on leaving, reversed his jeep into her car causing quite a bit of damage to the front of the car.

He admitted full responsibility and asked my mother to get an estimate from the repair from her garage, that came in at about €2000. The garage are waiting for the OK from his insurer to proceed with the repair.

Now he's started fobbing her off and not passing on his insurance details. Mam visits at regular hours each week, known to him, and he's not responding to calls or texts to his mobile. As his parents are elderly, Mam doesn't want to stress them out - its not their fault. However, she also has high blood pressure and I'd like this sorted out asap for her.

What should our next step be - to involve the guards? Thanks in advance for any advice/info you can give.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭stifz

Yes.. but probably a little late she should have notified them the day of the incident. How and ever. definitly involve the gaurds and get it on record.. Any witnesses?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

It is against the law to withold insurance details AFAIK.

However she really should have taken them down when she had the chance.

Suggest she calls from an unknown number, one he doesn't recognise, or maybe from his parents house and state that she wont be coming to nurse his folks until he gets his finger out...........leave him in the lurtch so to speak !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭govinda

Thanks stifz
    stifz wrote:
    .. Any witnesses?

Only his parents (it happened in the driveway of their home in Meath), so far they seem to be on her side but who knows what way it'll go if we have to involve the guards. But I think you're right - 4 weeks is long enough :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

MercMad wrote:
    It is against the law to withold insurance details AFAIK.
    I'm not sure about that, however her (or her insurance company) does have the right to file a claim against the individual in respect of the damage to her vehicle. He can then choose to get his insurance company involved.

Unless these people are scum of the earth, then I see no reason not to start legal proceedings against the son (or at least mention that this is what you are going to do). Sounds like he's not insured at all...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Can she not get his details off his windscreen while she's there with his parents?

Also, threathening to withold treatment of his parents would, IMHO, not be the best way to go.

• Advertisement

Thanks all.

He seems to be wise to the hours that Mam spends with his parents and is never there. First time anything like this has happened to her and I suppose she didn't think to take down the details at the time.
    Definitely no question of witholding treatment, but she's going to go to the guards today. I'm not sure if she has involved her own insurance company yet at all, thats a good point - I'll let ye know what happens, thanks again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 ewlit

the motor insurance burou of ireland deals wit cases where insurance details are invalid or withheld or foreign....

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

Go to the local Garda Station , explain to them what has happened and they should give him a call . He is breaking the law by with-holding his details .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Rudolph Claus

E2grand for a simple reversing tip? No wonder hes not answering the phone. Did your mother ask him to just pay for the damage or immediately start whining about insurance details.

Put up som pics of the damage to your mothers yoke till we see how much your ripping him off, albeit via your insurance company, which in turn is ripping us here off as we all have to pay for it. Bring the car to your normal local panel beater and get a price, it`ll probably be like E500.

I assume he was just reversing from a standstill around the house into your mothers parked car. How could that possibly result in 2grands worth of damage? Is the bumper completely broken and off the car? Are there any headlights broke? Please put up a pic or 2 so we can see exactly whats what here, no more advice from anyone here till you put up a pic. We wont be fueling this "possible" fraud anymore. E2Grand:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Nuttzy wrote:
    E2grand for a simple reversing tip? No wonder hes not answering the phone. Did your mother ask him to just pay for the damage or immediately start whining about insurance details.

Put up som pics of the damage to your mothers yoke till we see how much your ripping him off, albeit via your insurance company, which in turn is ripping us here off as we all have to pay for it. Bring the car to your normal local panel beater and get a price, it`ll probably be like E500.

I assume he was just reversing from a standstill around the house into your mothers parked car. How could that possibly result in 2grands worth of damage? Is the bumper completely broken and off the car? Are there any headlights broke? Please put up a pic or 2 so we can see exactly whats what here, no more advice from anyone here till you put up a pic. We wont be fueling this "possible" fraud anymore. E2Grand:rolleyes:

It's not the OP ripping anyone off, it's the person who gave the quote who's ripping 'us' off ya donkey

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Nuttzy wrote:
    Please put up a pic or 2 so we can see exactly whats what here, no more advice from anyone here till you put up a pic. We wont be fueling this "possible" fraud anymore.
    Who appointed you spokesperson for the forum may I ask?

Nuttzy - wow, thanks for the personal attack! This guy reversed an SUV into the front of a Nissan Micra at considerable speed as he "forgot" there was a car behind him. Yes, there is headlight damage and significant wing and bumper damage.

I can assure you neither my mother nor I are trying to rip anyone off or profit from this.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

Nuttzy wrote:

Chill pill for Nutzy ;) ..

BY the way when did you last get a quote for panel beating/parts for a car ..

Just a quick update - A fellow from the Irish Insurance Federation rang me back and said he can help if we get the registration number of the jeep. Separately, Mam informed her own insurance company who are taking up the case on her behalf, hopefully it will be settled and her car repaired soon. Thanks all again for your advice.

Advertisement