Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quick wireless question

Options
  • 08-12-2006 1:47pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Can anyone leech from my wireless router when im using encryption ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Redisle

Depends on wheter youre using wep or wpa, wep is crackable in about 10mins or so so if anyone computer savvy lived nextdoor they could hack it but wpa is considerably harder to bypass.

On most routers in the settings page you can see an 'attatched devices' section and you should be able to see all connected devices by mac address and computer name.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭mayhem#

1) Use encryption
    2) use mac-address filtering
    3) disable SSID broadcasting
    4) relax.....

Not foolproof but unless you want to use full-blown RADIUS authentication it is more than sufficient...

E.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

The rerason i ask isim having major issues with my connection for 3 months now so i disabled the wireless to my lappy to be sure nobody was leeching.
    Made no difference ,my pings at peak times are still terrible :(

Advertisement