Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Customs Duty in Ireland

Options
  • 08-12-2006 2:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭

I have just received a call that I have been charged customs duty on a package originating from the US. No problem so far. I know what the package is (general consumer goods) and the value is just above $100 or roughly €75 based on the current exchange rate. However, the duty charge is €35! I checked the Revenue's site (Section 5) and it's vague at best about how customs and duty is calculated, but it looks like the calculate it like this:

(Product Price + 3.5% Customs Duty) + 21% VAT of total

That would make the total duty payable on my package just under €20. I'm assuming the other €15 is a handling fee from the delivery company (GLS)? I'm just wondering if my figures are correct before I call them up and give them a bollocking.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

3.5% is only for items marked as a gift. Otherwise it is (usually) 13.5%. Was it marked as a gift? Also you pay duty on the cost of the items +shipping. the delivery company will also charge their own handling fee. Usually €10-15. DO the calculation again based on this and let us know what total you get. You'll probably find that €35 is about right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭mcaul

Duty & VAT is applied as follows

Value of Item + cost of shipping = landed costed. Duty is then appl;ied at the relevant rate - from 0% to upwards of 8%. Vat is then applied at 21% of the total cost of product + freight + duty.

So, $100 - €76, delivery charge say €24, duty at 3% = €3, VAT on €104 = €22, - So VAT & Duty = €25 & Handling fee = €10. Seems about right.
    - Some carriers charge much higher handling fees. An Post charge €5.

Advertisement