Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accuracy of online line test database??

Options
  • 08-12-2006 2:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Local exchange was enabled last week. Eircom online test said "my line may be suitable" etc. Other providers said it was suitable for BB.

* Placed an order for 2mb line with my existing telco which happens to be UTV.
    * Checked my line online this week and it is now failing - "BB not available" etc.
    * My typical dialup speed was 33.6kbps before yesterday. Now it is a minimum of 45kbps. Looks like someone improved connection.
    * Got a mail from UTV today saying "Your account is now active so you can start using your new broadband access now." and router is in the post etc.
    * Line is still failing online tests.

What can I expect??

Thanks,
    L

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

what tests exactly is it failing since usually Eircom wouldnt process the install request if the line was listed as having passed the automated test

• Registered Users Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭leex

Failing the generic "is you line enabled" check on the likes of the Eircom site.

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

You can probably expect that your line qualifies as "Amber", meaning you may be capable of obtaining a steady, "low rate" (for broadband, like 1Mbit) connection - or you may not.

You may find that when the router arrives and you plug it in that the DSL light flashes continuously without ever gaining synchronisation.

That's a bit of a worst case scenario.

In all probability, it means that you were having a phone conversation when eircom did their monthly battery of somewhat too-sensitive line tests. I have had broadband on my home line since the late ninties and it has been failing the broadband tests on the various telco websites on and off as long as I can remember.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

he needs an engineer to check the line is what it means, typically you may order and then wait up to 90 days for the engineer to check and fix the line, usually a small short somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

just check the ole wiring in the house and disconnect 'the ring wire' since i doubt you have a rotary telephone lol

• Advertisement

Connected a netopia modem/router today and all is running perfectly. Paying for a 2mb connection and am seeing 1.75mb on irishispspeedtest.com - very happy with this.

Moral of the story - your line could be failing on the online tests but you could still get a connection.

Thanks

Heard about a few more cases of this since so don't 100% trust the online test result.;)

Advertisement