Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Somebody shot in PO raid in JohnsGreen?

Options
  • 08-12-2006 3:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭

Somebody at work was just saying somebody was shot in a raid on the PO in Johns Green. Details seem sketchy now, anyone know what happened? Hope it's not serious injuries...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

http://www.rte.ie/news/2006/1208/kilkenny.html

A man has been shot during an armed robbery at a post office in Kilkenny.

The robbery happened at a Post Office in the John's Green area shortly after 12.10pm today.

The shooting victim, who is a member of staff at the Post Office, was taken to St Luke's Hospital where he is in a critical condition.

A man was arrested in Wolfe Tone Street in connection with the incident and a handgun and a quantity of cash were recovered. He is being detained at Kilkenny Garda Station.

Anyone who was in the John's Green or Wolfe Tone area of Kilkenny city between midday and 12.20pm are asked to ring the Gardaí on 056-7775067.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I'm told by my colleagues that the post office employee got shot in the stomach. Sounds very serious.

The Gardai must have been waiting for the guy if he only got as far as Wolfe Tone street, since its about 10 seconds from the front door of the post office.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

It mustn't have been one of those 'professional' gangs from Dublin who have been robbing post offices and businesses around Leinster regularly over the last few years. The guards must have got there v quick indeed if he only made down Wolf Tone Street...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

What an unnecessary death this was. The f*cking scum should be locked up and the key thrown away.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Coming up to christmas and all, feel sorry on his family. The sake of €500:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

I agree. And all for money that the State would've replaced anyway seeing as it was in the Post Office :( I hope the killer gets what he deserves

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

It's tough on the family, the father only died a few years ago. Now the son is killed. Thought that place had bullet proof glass though.

John

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

Yeah, unlucky family alright. That split second decision he made today (to pursue the robber) was the worst decision he ever made in his life :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

:(

This happened not far from me. Unfortunately the guy chased the robber and got shot in the stomach from what I have heard.

A terrible thing to have happened only a couple of weeks away from Christmas.

And another very sad thing about it is they have apparently caught the person that shot him, who will most likely be sentenced to life and will only serve 15 years. If guilty. :(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

This might sound harse, but all money is insured..... It's a bit foolish to chase some one!

John

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 623 ✭✭✭hawker27

just the heat of the moment i guess,there will always be morons in this life ripping peoples familys apart.
    god help his family and it almost xmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Lump wrote:
    This might sound harse, but all money is insured..... It's a bit foolish to chase some one!

John

In a way I agree, but I have always thought that it is that attitude that has lead to more of these crimes being committed.. "Ah they won't care or won't give us any trouble, they're insured!"

But there are people in this world that hate to see criminals getting away with anything and will do what ever they think is necessary to stop them.
    These people are getting fewer and fewer and unfortunately it is sending a signal to the criminal world that ANY establishment is an easy target because they won't give us any agro THEY'RE INSURED!!!

I don't know. It's a vicious circle. :(

God bless all of those who stand and fight for civil/human/legal/non criminal rights.

Goodnight and God bless.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Lump wrote:

John

Its harsh but unfortunately true. I've convinced myself that if I'm ever in a position to hand over money from an organisation with which I have very few ties, such as my current job, I will do so with a minimum of fuss.

That said, I hope the ****ing scum who carried out this disgusting act get put away and get seriously badly treated.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

He didn't have very few ties, he was the postmaster and owned the place afaik. According to the papers today the culprit is a chinese guy who went underground after his student visa expired in 2004.
    I passed through Wolfe Tone street today, the place is still crawling with Gardaí doing interviews and stuff.

Advertisement