Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Electric Picnic 2007

• 08-12-2006 3:31pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I hear the tickets are going on sale soon. Might buy a few cause last year I missed out and they were going for huge money.

What do you guys think?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

Probably a safe bet. I'd buy them to sell on rather to go to it, judging what it was like last year it's just going to turn into another...ehm... well, you know :D
    We're hitting some other continential festivals this summer instead, probably Sonar, Nature One and maybe Zigit. Have to see how money and stuff pans out first though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 e.doobie

please man, picnic was brilliant last year... hopefully people who actually appriciate and go to festivals for the right reasons will attend, everyone else can beep off to beep

i was at roskilde fest and i honestly didnt expect the picnic to be good at all... but so long as there's a band line up that intrests you, you'l b sure to have a good time... everything else that goes on in the festival is excellent... so many little places set up all over that no1 really knew about,and the t-pees were great too, not to mention everything else.. was fantastic...just takes the right people..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

ep is on a downhill slide being caused by an eye for the dollars unfortunately

we were told after the amazingly brilliant 2005 ep, that it most definitely wouldnt get any bigger than 25000

then they up it to 32500

this year its "definitely" staying at 32500, expect it to be 40,000

anyone whos been to them all will know for a fact that this years paled in comparison to the 2005 gig, and it was mainly because they got greedy and upped the capacity. 25000 was absolutely perfect

Helix wrote:

we were told after the amazingly brilliant 2005 ep, that it most definitely wouldnt get any bigger than 25000

then they up it to 32500

anyone whos been to them all will know for a fact that this years paled in comparison to the 2005 gig, and it was mainly because they got greedy and upped the capacity. 25000 was absolutely perfect

Yeah, that's exactly what I'm getting at. My friends have been going there since the first year and they all reckonened that this years one was the worst. Not to say that it's not probably the best line-up in Ireland and the most innovative festival, but it's just getting less intimate each year and losing its charm - pllus the lack of facilities was completely out of order considering the price of tickets and the numbers. Now that the tickets have gone up to 200 odd as well, I think I know what they've in mind...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

I think people read too much into how many poeple are at a festival, if it's well managed and maintained, it shouldn't make a difference. I've never been to EP as a punter, but i worked and stayed in the campsite of last years one as a security guard and even from that it seemed to be something special. But I was at Sziget this year, and Exit the year before and they had huge crowds at them, but it never felt overcrowded or dirty or anything. Incidently, going to Exit and Sziget is something everyone really should do once, absolutely incredible places.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭joebhoy1916

Does anyone have a website where you can find out if events are nearly sold out or find out how many ticket's are left?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

sorry i should explain that by last years i meant the summer before the one just gone. was this year really that different? what took away from it being as good as the years before?

griffdaddy wrote:
    sorry i should explain that by last years i meant the summer before the one just gone. was this year really that different? what took away from it being as good as the years before?
    yup

this years suffered massively because it wasnt as personal

and im not the only one to have thought that, theres loads over on the ep forum who agree. it went from being the perfect festival, to the generic money maker with a few quirky extras

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,583 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Guys I've had to delete a few posts on this thread relating to this

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054977367

pls avoid any mentions or discussions of said promoter or events run by them or I may have to lock this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭elqu

Helix wrote:
    yup

this years suffered massively because it wasnt as personal

and im not the only one to have thought that, theres loads over on the ep forum who agree. it went from being the perfect festival, to the generic money maker with a few quirky extras

for me the real pain in the a*se is having to camp for three nights. and having to GO for three nights. the line up is just not good enough for me to lie on the ground for three nights! arriving and putting my tent up in the DARK on the Friday and then there being little or nothing on that was decent (missed mogwai 'cause i was putting up the blasted tent). moan moan moan i did enjoy laurent garnier :D ... and super furries .... and 2many djs... and yeah yeah yeah... :rolleyes: guess it has a fair bit going for it i just don't like being dictated to. thinking of i love techno next yr maybe instead.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

elqu your very much in the minority who enjoyed Laurent Garnier @ the EP this year he was absolutely terrible,i was disgusted after seeing him in Ibiza in July he was excellent but muck @ the EP.

Ill get my EP ticket in a month or two,great festival pity it didn't go on for 5 days.:cool:

jonny68 wrote:
    elqu your very much in the minority who enjoyed Laurent Garnier @ the EP this year he was absolutely terrible,i was disgusted after seeing him in Ibiza in July he was excellent but muck @ the EP.

Very true. I KO'd just before he went on, and had to go back to the tent. About half an hour later the blue campsite was back in full swing with everyone pilled to the gills and not in the mood for his malarkey - the crowd from wicklow beside threw on 2manyDjs in their little gazebo and our own little corner of the campsite was turned into the new openair bodytonic tent :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭elqu

jimi_t wrote:
    Very true. I KO'd just before he went on, and had to go back to the tent. About half an hour later the blue campsite was back in full swing with everyone pilled to the gills and not in the mood for his malarkey - the crowd from wicklow beside threw on 2manyDjs in their little gazebo and our own little corner of the campsite was turned into the new openair bodytonic tent :)

ha - that says it all - pilled to the gills, what a yawn :rolleyes: if you mean he didn't bang it out u r right, he didn't. my sister was pilled up too and also thought he was crap, kept breaking the rhythm, me, i had to drive the next day and so seem to have appreciated the gig so much more! besides there's only so much bangin' it out i can take. i think it's on you tube if you wanted to listen to it properly :p

elqu wrote:
    ha - that says it all - pilled to the gills, what a yawn :rolleyes: if you mean he didn't bang it out u r right, he didn't. my sister was pilled up too and also thought he was crap, kept breaking the rhythm, me, i had to drive the next day and so seem to have appreciated the gig so much more! besides there's only so much bangin' it out i can take. i think it's on you tube if you wanted to listen to it properly :p

See, the thing is my 2 hours of sleep on the friday and saturday had kinda caught up with me so I left before he was on and collapsed back into the tent. What I'm saying is that judging from the amount of people who swarmed back to the blue campsite about 10 minutes after he started, it must have been tripe. I think for the last act of the festival, it should have been something a bit more... I won't say hardcore, but something to get the party going. I think some friends of mine saw Dancepig and someone else DJ'ing in the campervan area about 3 that morning when they went off in search of fun.

in fairness, anyone who went to garnier expecting anything other than what he played doesnt have a clue about garnier live in the last 18 months

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭whacker4fun

most people wernt sure wether or not garnier was going to be live or not....hes was a acomplete let down..hes played the year before and did an amazing set.
    he shouldnt have been on last on the sunday nite,every body wanted the picnic to finish in style.
    gotta disagree with people sayn it was the worst picnic so far,it was just as good as any year,for the crowd size it was managed reasonably well.just wait til the knackers start to come down to it, it will then be destroyed so enjoy it while it lasts.!

there were a LOT more knackers this year than last year

didnt see a single one in 05, saw a couple of hundred scobey lookin ***** this year

youre not allowed to talk about that other festival zascar, look at the big sticky thread about it

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Thanks, sorry forgot. now ammended.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 343 ✭✭cheesemaker

I dont understand everyones,negitive attude towards new people coming to the festival or it getting bigger,its still alot more imtimate and friendly then witness or lowlands ever were,I love techno is nearly the same size but everyones stuck in a giant shed,with acts having to stop in the middle of there sets because of overcrowding.Glastonbury and Burning man are some of most gigantic festivals you can go to.but still always have great reveiws.Ive been to ep every year and is got consistantly more craic,its still full of like minded people there to have fun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

I dont understand everyones,negitive attude towards new people coming to the festival or it getting bigger,its still alot more imtimate and friendly then witness or lowlands ever were.

It's not so much about it being bigger, but the crowd this year contained quite a lot of undesirables and troublemakers. They also couldn't manage the size of the crowd. There wasn't enough camping space, I saw the toilets being emptied maybe once the entire weekend - they were literally overflowing with excrement in most places. The communal showers were absolutely filthy, and I later found out they were FREE, although the opportunist security people were charging people to use them.

EP 2005 was so different, it was like a different festival. Clean facilities, sound people and a brilliant lineup.

The weather didn't help either but that's out of their control obviously.
    But it would take one stellar lineup for me to ever go back to EP or to any Irish festival in fact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

there were a LOT more knackers this year than last year

didnt see a single one in 05, saw a couple of hundred scobey lookin ***** this year

I thought the whole idea about ELP was that it was all olives, couscous, rye bread, pimms and some relaxed music enjoyed in the company of fellow Guardian-reading types. This is worrying, I thought one of the other big Festivals attracted the oiks.

I didnt find much trouble up there this year,there was a few who just shouldnt have been there and dont know how to have a good time have you tried garden party or even Mantua,leetrum or any of the other smaller less comercial ones round the place

I didnt find much trouble up there this year,there was a few who just shouldnt have been there and dont know how to have a good time have you tried garden party or even Mantua,leetrum or any of the other smaller less comercial ones round the place

Unfortunately, the smaller ones can't pull in the bigger acts... It's a delicate balance between intimacy and line-up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭Ernesto

Helix wrote:

then they up it to 32500

exactly. im buying tickets to sell this year. gonna go to ATP n May and Primavera in June instead of EP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭Ernesto

jimi_t wrote:
    Unfortunately, the smaller ones can't pull in the bigger acts... It's a delicate balance between intimacy and line-up.
    Plaid played Mantua. it was great.
    EP is going the way of other bigger festivals. line-ups may be good or whatever but the more popular it gets, the more undesireable arseholes therell be.

In a way you cant blame them for trying to make money.I still dont understand where everyone came across all these knackers??,the worst breed I came across were just people who werent any craic,and would jus trough ya a dirty look if ya asked them for a skin.I heard of the shades getting over run with bowsies at one stage in the car park on saturday.but inside I dont think I seen anyone i a tracksuit:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭radiospan

For anyone wondering when the lineup will be announced, probably around March or April.

(In 2005 it was the middle of April, in 2006 it was around the end of March)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

most people wernt sure wether or not garnier was going to be live or not....hes was a acomplete let down..hes played the year before and did an amazing set.

It was billed as Laurent Garnier live, one of the few sets I would have killed to see at EP.

• Advertisement

Its defo 200 big one this year,the line up is out in aprill,but james brown and bob marley would wana be headline'n for that kinda money..:mad:

well hopefully 65daysofstatic will play seeing as theyre in the crawdaddy in feb

thatd be a step in the right direction to justify me spending that kinda money

bjork, tv on the radio, mogwai (missed them this year), aphex twin, the shins, the decemberists (also playing for aiken in the new year) and legowelt would be lovely too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

I want Nurse With Wound. They were on the "maybe" list for the last one. I want my head ****ed and they're the group to do it.

chems, and daft punk

shambolic first 2 acts anyway

Helix wrote:
    chems, and daft punk

shambolic first 2 acts anyway

For EP?

Shambolic my ass - I'd nearly reconsider going to EP on the strength of those two. I'd be looking out for the likes of MSTRKRFT and maybe Justice mostly, maybe Digitalism and/or Steve Agnello as well and (fingers crossed) the Arcade Fire or the Flaming Lips.

• Advertisement

jimi_t wrote:
    Shambolic my ass - I'd nearly reconsider going to EP on the strength of those two. I'd be looking out for the likes of MSTRKRFT and maybe Justice mostly, maybe

are you for real?

the chems are over here constantly, and if youve seen them once, youve seen them a million times

and im not particularly interested in seeing 2 people dressed as daft punk pretend to do things on a laptop to what is essentially poor as hell music anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

Helix wrote:
    there was a hell of a lot more scum at ep 06 than either previous year

load of local scum hopped fences and got in free, causing hassle

there was also loads of reports of people having stuff robbed from their tents

the more they increase the capacity past the 25,000 they said theyd NEVER exceed, the more scum will invariably arrive

well i can safely say i didn't see any at all nor did any of the people i know who went.

doesnt mean they werent there tho

Lads, I'm afraid I'll have to lock this thread if there's any more mentions of a certain other festival held in Ireland each summer, as per this thread....

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054977367

can yis not just censor the word?

• Advertisement

Helix wrote:
    the chems are over here constantly, and if youve seen them once, youve seen them a million times

I've seen them twice in fact - and I enjoyed their concerts. If they played again over here I probably wouldn't bother going purely due to it being about 50/60 euro, but I'm happy that they're a part of the EP festival, and would nearly certainly go to see them. Ditto with Daft Punk, judging from Marley you can argue to various degrees of validity about how "live" their show is (certainly it was no coincidence that the set was pretty much identical to the coachella bootleg I have) but I still thought it was a pretty good show - the visuals especially were amazing and there was a decent atmosphere, which I feel would translate well in EP.
    and im not particularly interested in seeing 2 people dressed as daft punk pretend to do things on a laptop to what is essentially poor as hell music anyway

And I'm not particularly interested in seeing the likes of Basement Jaxx, Damien Rice or Antony & the Johnsons - all of who were headliners last year - didn't mean that there wasn't a ton of other amazing musicians playing you can go listen to; in fairness, they do try and cater for as eclectic a mix as they can get - even if they try and get more mainstream headliners to pull in the crowds in recent years.

the point is, that these huge acts will bring the undesirables

theres no need for ep to have the chems or daft punk to sell out, its just asking for trouble, and its wasting HUGE sums of money that could be spent on bringing 20 or 30 quality, but not huge commercially, acts in

Helix wrote:
    the point is, that these huge acts will bring the undesirables

theres no need for ep to have the chems or daft punk to sell out, its just asking for trouble, and its wasting HUGE sums of money that could be spent on bringing 20 or 30 quality, but not huge commercially, acts in

Fair enough - thats different to your first point and I'd completely agree with you there - but personally I'd err on the side of caution and wait to see who else is announced before I'd denounce it as a knackerfest

Advertisement