Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

All-Ireland league, thoughts?

• 08-12-2006 4:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭

Derry City chief executive Jim Roddy feels the federations north and south of the border must “do the right thing” for Irish football by establishing a single all-Ireland league.

The Candystripes administrative boss made his plea on the day of the draw for the Setanta Sports Cup competition, in which Derry will again take on traditional northern rivals Glentoran and Linfield.

And Roddy feels the time is right to implement a single league, saying the country cannot sustain the existing number of top-level clubs.

He told the Belfast Telegraph: “We need to do the right thing for Irish football and the right thing to do in my opinion is to create a single league and put resources into making the stadia attractive for people to come to.

"There are 16 senior clubs in Northern Ireland and 22 in the eircom League which is too many on and island of this size. If we streamline that then the quality of the product on offer becomes better."

Meanwhile, he is looking forward to rubbing shoulders with the top sides in the Irish League once more after Thursday’s Setanta Sports Cup draw.

The Candystripes – holders of both the eircom League Cup and FAI Carlsberg Cup crowns – have once more been drawn against Linfield and Glentoran for the second successive season.

And Roddy is delighted with the draw, insisting that the continued progress of the cross-border competition was indicative of the improving political position in the North.

“It is ironic that we will be playing Linfield and Glentoran again, but great for football in Ireland and Northern Ireland in particular,” he said. “The games last season in the Setanta Cup and the friendlies against the two clubs the season before that showed that football wants to move on.

“Sport in general and football in particular is a microcosm of what is happening in Northern Ireland at present and we will be looking forward to welcoming Linfield and Glentoran to the Brandywell again and look forward to two great spectacles."

Jim Roddy has today again called for an All-Ireland league, incorporating clubs from both sides of the border. Given the lack of any serious trouble in the first two seasons of the Setanta Cup, and the massive steps taken in the Derry and Linfield games this season, it seems that politics are no longer a major obstacle.

The camaraderie between all the fans in the past two seasons has been thoroughly enjoyable and 'clean', so to speak, and in general the SC games are more enjoyable affairs for fans than the Eircom League games, or at least that is how I see it. Anyone agree or disagree? Any other points to add?

I'm sure there are problems with FIFA as regards the possible merger of the leagues, but supposing that wasn't a problem would you support an All-Ireland league?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Jim Roddy has today again called for an All-Ireland league, incorporating clubs from both sides of the border. Given the lack of any serious trouble in the first two seasons of the Setanta Cup, and the massive steps taken in the Derry and Linfield games this season, it seems that politics are no longer a major obstacle.

The camaraderie between all the fans in the past two seasons has been thoroughly enjoyable and 'clean', so to speak, and in general the SC games are more enjoyable affairs for fans than the Eircom League games, or at least that is how I see it. Anyone agree or disagree? Any other points to add?

I'm sure there are problems with FIFA as regards the possible merger of the leagues, but supposing that wasn't a problem would you support an All-Ireland league?

If the league was kept seperate from the respective assiciations then I could see this working fairly easily. Not so sure on an all Ireland football team though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Erin Go Brath

I think its only a matter of time before the 2 leagues are merged. Never saw the point in having 2 crap leagues on the same small island anyway.
    Roddy is spot on with comments about a 'better product' being on offer. At the end of the day its about putting bums on seats, and an all-ireland league would be more likely to so imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

No doubt it would be much better for both the North and Republic however, there is too much opposition in the North to make it happen. Realistically, only Linfield and Glentoran can compete with the Republic teams. Portadown, Dungannon and Cliftonville would be at best relegation candidates, the rest would struggle to make Division 1. Not only that but there'll be the same amount of European cup spots for an even great number of teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

I think its only a matter of time before the 2 leagues are merged. Never saw the point in having 2 crap leagues on the same small island anyway.

What, in your opinion, is 'crap' about the eL?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Portadown, Dungannon and Cliftonville would be at best relegation candidates, the rest would struggle to make Division 1. Not only that but there'll be the same amount of European cup spots for an even great number of teams.

Having seen these teams play, I would say that Portadown and Dungannon are at least as good as Longford, better than UCD, Bray, Waterford and Bohs (for the last few seasons).
    MrJoeSoap wrote:
    What, in your opinion, is 'crap' about the eL?

Lets not go down that road again shall we?

• Advertisement

gimmick wrote:
    Lets not go down that road again shall we?

You're right, I should have just reported the post and burned the fool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Am I right in saying that if the leagues merged, then the two associations and the two national teams would have to aswell? Does a national team not have to have it's own representative league?

Stekelly wrote:
    Am I right in saying that if the leagues merged, then the two associations and the two national teams would have to aswell? Does a national team not have to have it's own representative league?
    Not sure about merging the two internation teams, but a few countries have had special dispensation from FIFA in the past, though I think they were mostly on a smaller scale. I'm sure there would be a way around it, which is why I added the last line in the first post.

I couldn't see an All-Ireland international team working.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,982 ✭✭✭Big Ears

I'd like to see it happen in the future and it certainly seems the way forward . If there was strong support for it both north and south of the border it would get done , FIFA would eventually give in two having an all-Ireland league with 2 different International sides and im sure there'd probably be some legal argument in favour of being able to have 1 league with two national teams which FIFA would crumble to .

However at the moment most Northerners wouldn't want it and that includes the bigger sides .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

I dont want it too happen, and i am suprised you do Joe. i dont want Cork city to compete against another 3 or so teams for the same numbers of UEFA/Champions league places.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

Great idea.
    The Setanta has been a great success, even without The Big Club in it, and has shown the way forward. I wouldn't mind an excuse for the odd trip to Belfast.
    Has to happen eventually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I'd welcome it with open arms.

The Big Club :confused: WTF?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Roddy is spot on with comments about a 'better product' being on offer. At the end of the day its about putting bums on seats, and an all-ireland league would be more likely to so imo.

Trolling is usually a banning offence but your not very good at it.

Stekelly wrote:

UEFA/FIFA offered both associations 10 years to merge whthyer that offer is still on the table i unknown but it would be a political decison rather than a footballing one, ie then it was a good idea now its prolly best NI keeps it own identity.
    chucky wrote:
    I dont want it too happen, and i am suprised you do Joe. i dont want Cork city to compete against another 3 or so teams for the same numbers of UEFA/Champions league places.

Is it not an Intertoto then depend on someone else to get you UEFA? As above UEFA would favour us getting more spots, bearing the NI teams really dont give a **** about the CL and stuff it would kill the precious coefficent when they go on their beer trips. I would imagine we would get an extra UEFA and Intertoto spot to compensate.

kdjac

Advertisement