Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Premiership This Weekend

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,846 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

PHB wrote:
    p.s. Ballack has been great since he joined Chelsea, if anyone should be dropped it should be Lampard.
    Makelele-Essien-Ballack is their best midfield trio

After reading that I got to agree, but we all know this won't happen. I supsect that Robben will be playing football in La Liga next season.

Great game, Arsenal very lucky last 8 - 10 mins. The race for the league is def on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

A good result for Liverpool - although Liverpool took their time in getting on the scoresheet. It was great to see Jamie Carragher score his 3rd goal of his career. The joy on his face was something to behold and he, more than anyone, deserves moments like these. The kop adored accordingly.

Indeed, with Carra's lack of scoring when coming up to the box I had always been questioning why he even bothers to come up for corners as although he had been close on numerous occasions more often than not it was a case of 'what if'. Hyppia on that facet has had more success although not a lot more and much less than a Carvalho.

Liverpool played 4-4-2:

Reina
    -- Finnan - Carra - Agger - Riise --
    Pennant - Alonso - Gerrard - Garcia
    Bellamy ---- Kuijt

The first penalty was clear. The defender put his arms up on purpose and tried to get away with it. Indeed there were valid calls for several before that and a penalty was deserved. Gerrard's spot kick was saved though by the Fulham keeper who was having a good game I thought, but the rebound went straight to Stevie who couldnt miss.

Fulham had played an open style of defence which allowed Liverpool a lot of posession and they had the ability to create quite a few dangerous chances. However, they seemed to lack the killer finish, a final pass or two but it was really just a matter of time as opportunities kept coming.

Carra's goal was the 2nd one, he found himself unmarked at the far post 6 yard box and running onto a headed-on corner and he just lashed it in with aplomb.

The third was a good one, a strong header from Garcia near to the edge of the box as he characteristicly drifted into the danger area and found himself unmarked. A good finish.

Good to see Gonzalez back and on the scoresheet for the 4th. He curled a free kick in with his left foot, and this is an option that Liverpool lack in their weapons, a good free-kick taker. Whether that would justify Gonzalex being picked every week though is another story. But there is lack of capability for free-kicks when it comes to the like of Gerrard and Riise. I wish Alonso would practice free's and take this on as part of his repetoire.

By that stage of the game, Crouch and Fowler had been given a good run out as Rafa rested some players.

What to take from the game:
    - Liverpool 4-4-2 with Gerrard in the centre with Alonso, a good shape
    - Agger in the back did a safe-ish job
    - Bellamy and Kuijt didnt link up that well together, failing to pass to each other well or others steaming through (Gerrard).

In terms of Pennant, whilst he has his moments, I think he is too light and not up to Liverpool's standard. He is not physically big and strong enough to be coming in the box and getting into dangerous areas, ala Garcia. He had one clear opportunity to do so in the game but backed off from the challenge. He does reasonably well at tracking back though, but I'm not convinced overall and in a way perhaps he is too similar to Gonzalez, even though they pay on different sides.

Overall, a good result on the steady march to 3rd/4th.

Redspider

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

redspider wrote:
    A good result for Liverpool - although Liverpool took their time in getting on the scoresheet. It was great to see Jamie Carragher score his 3rd goal of his career. The joy on his face was something to behold and he, more than anyone, deserves moments like these. The kop adored accordingly.

4th goal I think...
    Indeed, with Carra's lack of scoring when coming up to the box I had always been questioning why he even bothers to come up for corners

Reminds me of WGS's story about Claus...

Strachan was on Sky on Sunday morning. He saw John Terry's goal and said he was impressed that Terry goes up expecting to score. He contrasted this to Claus Lundekvam the Saints central defender who goes up for every dead ball and never ever looks remotely like scoring. He said if there was a dead body lying in the penalty area the ball would hit it on the head several times a season which he said is more than Lundekvam can manage. He said referees should book Lundekvam for timewasting every time he goes up for a corner. When the co-commentator said if Lundekvam was watching Strachan was only joking. Strachan assured him he was deadly serious.

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Strachan was on Sky on Sunday morning. He saw John Terry's goal and said he was impressed that Terry goes up expecting to score. He contrasted this to Claus Lundekvam the Saints central defender who goes up for every dead ball and never ever looks remotely like scoring. He said if there was a dead body lying in the penalty area the ball would hit it on the head several times a season which he said is more than Lundekvam can manage. He said referees should book Lundekvam for timewasting every time he goes up for a corner. When the co-commentator said if Lundekvam was watching Strachan was only joking. Strachan assured him he was deadly serious.

One thing about Strachan, whether you like him or loathe he does speak a lot of truth and in this case was probably right!

redspider

He's certainly right when it comes to Lundekvam, as my avatar from the Saints forums will testify!

http://www.thesaintsforum.co.uk/images/avatars/gallery/Players/clausavatar.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

redspider wrote:
    One thing about Strachan, whether you like him or loathe he does speak a lot of truth and in this case was probably right!

redspider

Some classic quotes from Gordon Strachan

Talking about Wayne Rooney... "It's an incredible rise to stardom. At 17 you're more likely to get a call from Michael Jackson than Sven Goran Eriksson."

Reporter: "Gordon, can we have a quick word please?"
    Strachan: "Velocity" [walks off]

Reporter: So, Gordon, in what areas do you think Middlesbrough were better than you today?

Strachan: What areas? Mainly that big green one out there.

Reporter: "Gordon, what will you take from today?"
    Strachan: I've got more important things to think about. I've got a yoghurt to finish, the expiry date is today.

Reporter: There goes your unbeaten run. Can you take it?
    Strachan: No, I'm just going to crumble like a wreck. I'll go home, become an alcoholic and maybe jump off a bridge.

Reporter: There's no negative vibes or negative feelings here?
    Strachan: Apart from yourself, we're all quite positive round here. I'm going to whack you over the head with a big stick, down negative man, down.

Reporter: Welcome to Southampton Football Club. Do you think you are the right man to turn things around?
    Strachan: No, I think they should have got George Graham because I'm useless.

Reporter: Where will Marion Pahars fit into the team line-up?
    Strachan: Not telling you! It's a secret.

Reporter: "What is your impression of Jermaine Pennant?"
    Strachan: "I don't do impressions"

Reporter: So Gordon, any changes then ?
    Strachan: Naw, still 5ft 6, ginger and a big nose!

Gary Lineker: So Gordon, if you were English, what formation would you play?
    Strachan: If I was English I'd top myself!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Ah ya gotta love Strachan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    He's certainly right when it comes to Lundekvam, as my avatar from the Saints forums will testify!

http://www.thesaintsforum.co.uk/images/avatars/gallery/Players/clausavatar.gif

errr, don't like to split hairs, but this is a Premiership thread. I believe there is a fizzy poop league thread elsewhere :D

Reporter: "What is your impression of Jermaine Pennant?"
    Strachan: "I don't do impressions"

I never heard that one before :D:D:D

whats the news on Kirkland, will he be fit for the Arsenal game this week?

• Advertisement

errr, don't like to split hairs, but this is a Premiership thread. I believe there is a fizzy poop league thread elsewhere :D

Don't talk about the SPL like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

Trilla wrote:
    whats the news on Kirkland, will he be fit for the Arsenal game this week?
    paul jewell said tonight live on sky he would be fine.

great game tonight btw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

a cracking second half

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Villa certainly seem to be having some good games under O'Neill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Great match but yet another draw,we badly need a top class striker and some attacking full backs along with a right winger. Great to watch though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

irish1 wrote:
    Great match but yet another draw,we badly need a top class striker and some attacking full backs along with a right winger. Great to watch though.

But Baros was top scorer at Euro 2004..............

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

eirebhoy wrote:
    Villa certainly seem to be having some good games under O'Neill.

MON certainly knows how to get his teams playing attractive football.

why oh why did the FA turn him down for the England job:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Stekelly wrote:
    But Baros was top scorer at Euro 2004..............

:D
    I actually didn't want Baros to sign but he did well last season scoring 12 goals for Villa in not too many games. He has suffered from inury since the world cup which he shouldn't have played in as he was carrying an injury. I think a fit Baros could be effective alongside a top class striker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Chelsea still scoreless with Newcastle and Arsenal and Wigan are 0-0 too.
    Interestingly Mourhino has left both Drogba and Shevchenko on the bench.

Bit of a strange decision considering its such an important game. Is this some kind of statement from Jose telling us he's not feeling the pressure at all and that confidence is high?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,908 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Another Newcastle player stretchered off, this time N'Zogbia. I can't understand why Pattison was brought on and not Luque.

Xavi6 wrote:
    Another Newcastle player stretchered off, this time N'Zogbia. I can't understand why Pattison was brought on and not Luque.
    Think I just heard Kinaldos head go bang in an explosion of rage!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

What system are Chelsea playing if Drogba and Sheva are both on the bench? Is Kalou the lone striker?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

Heroic stuff from Newcastle so far. Le Sib is causing them all sorts of problems but I'm not particularly looking forward to the second half.

With regards to Zoggy's injury and Luque remaining on the bench, I'm speechless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭cashback

Adebayor!! Wasn't looking good for a long time. Fabregas set him up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Makelele supposedly made a horrendous challenge on Martins, without so much as a warning from the ref.

Chelsea 1-0 Newcastle FT
    Wigan 0-1 Arsenal FT

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,432 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

2122: GOAL Chelsea 1-0 Newcastle
    Chelsea finally break the Newcastle defence. Arjen Robben finds Andriy Shevchenko on the right who in turn finds striker partner Didier Drogba who steals in at the near post to tap in from three yards.

Looks like the needed Drogba and Sheva after all :)

Yes well done to Chelsea and Mourinho (inspired substitutions).

If we get a few players back, like Dyer, Parker and Solano, or some sort of midfield, I think we'll beat them in the cup next Wednesday.

kinaldo wrote:
    Yes well done to Chelsea and Mourinho (inspired substitutions).

If we get a few players back, like Dyer, Parker and Solano, or some sort of midfield, I think we'll beat them in the cup next Wednesday.
    Hardly inspired! Obvious maybe, but not inspired.

Pighead wrote:
    Hardly inspired! Obvious maybe, but not inspired.
    Aye, sorry I forgot to add the :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Dang!

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,077 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

tonight was very close to being a great chance for liverpool to have some of the gap closed. not to be though.

Only 15311 people turned out to see Wigan against the mighty Arsenal. Before last night their average attendance was 17853 from a capacity of 25000. What is it about these Lancashire sides and low attendances? I could understand if they were playing a team like Blackburn (or Chelsea!), but Arsenal?

~Rebel~ wrote:
    tonight was very close to being a great chance for liverpool to have some of the gap closed. not to be though.

I dont know about that. I think Liverpool's only realistic battle this season is fighting Arsenal for 3rd and 4th, and any other team that drops or rises to be around that range. No way will Liverpool able to breach the gap to the top unless BOTH Man Utd and Chelsea have a meltdown and that aint going to happen.

The league in ladder format is now:
    44  Man United
    39  Chelsea
    29  Arsenal
    28  Portsmouth Liverpool
    27  Bolton Wndrs
    26  Reading
    25  Aston Villa, Tottenham
    24  Everton

Redspider

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

kinaldo wrote:
    Only 15311 people turned out to see Wigan against the mighty Arsenal. Before last night their average attendance was 17853 from a capacity of 25000.

They got just over 12000 for the same side in the Carling Cup last year, but I'd say they had no problem selling their final allocation...:rolleyes:

Its not like they're horrendously expensive, and I know the town is primarily a rugby town, but that is a pathetic turnout. I can see Dave Whelan walking away from there and they'll be straight back down when he does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

that Chelsea performance last night was dire, the most entertaining thing that happened was Dan Petrescu's walk round the pitch at half time 9to a chorus of Bring Him On, Bring Him On).

Drogba immediately changed the game and SWP has confirmed that he was the most expensive feather ever to play professional football, as there is no one over 12 years of age smaller than him he will be constantly brushed off the ball every time he faces a challenge.

Chelsea didn't look like champions last night, if Newcastle hadn't "parked the bus" and defended so deep from the start and actually had a go at us, they could well have nicked a few points.

Still 3 points is 3 points but it sure wasn't pretty and it certainly was very frustrating watching our millionaire forget how to pass, shoot, run, play, mark etc.

Don't think JM will be too pleased with that performance. Feeling a little more nervous about the xmas games now than I did a week ago.

Advertisement