Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Port throttling by irish ISP's

Options
  • 08-12-2006 5:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know of or heard of any of the Irish ISP's who throttle selected ports that their customers use for certain applications and protocols (eg P2P and Usenet)?

I am researching information to get a story published in the tech press and hopefully mainstream media too.

Any comments on this subject would be great.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

Only port throttling I know of is with Vodafone's 3G/GPRS "Unlimited Data" package, which reserves the right to choke VOIP on this service.

"4. Use of VoIP (Voice over Internet Protocol) is not permitted within the Unlimited Data tariff offer and Vodafone reserves the right to impose technological or other constraints on this or related types of application.
    "
    http://www.vodafone.ie/terms/paymonthly/index.jsp#unlimiteddata

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

doesn't clearwire basically throttle everything bar http 80 and ftp 20?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

Personally I think it is unfair to throttle ports. Why should your connection that you pay for be limited in any way. The main problem with this when it happens is that I think many of the ISP's don't actually admit that they do it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,836 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Personally I think it is unfair to throttle ports. Why should your connection that you pay for be limited in any way. The main problem with this when it happens is that I think many of the ISP's don't actually admit that they do it.
    I'd say change ISP's
    But when you look at how much Eircom charge ISP's for the wholesale rate compared to what they charge you, factor in the additional setup charges and there isn't a lot left to provide unlimited service.

Of course they don't admit it in their ads, read your contract, looking for the terms "fair use" and you will see it there.

At least one ISP used to map connections so that all the "warez monkeys" and other super leechs were contending each others leaving others to fly along.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Cremo wrote:
    doesn't clearwire basically throttle everything bar http 80 and ftp 20?

They most certainly do ! In fact they started to do this within a couple of months of going live in ROI. The reason I got out of my contract with them.

I haven't experienced any such situation on my ISP - IOLBB (now BT afaik).

ZEN

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,509 ✭✭✭irishgeo

UTV say fair use between 6-10pm. They only throttle you if you breach a number of warning of breaking the fair use policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭aare

Torque.ie (now sold out to Callistus) were throttling ports for P2P since late 2005.

There is another Wireless ISP in West Cork doing it too, they cover Ballydehob, can't remember the name, but they have a local monopoly.

I get the impression that it's fairly widespread practice among sychronymous wireless operators.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 capal4321

So Charlie, You were doing some research on the above a while ago.
    Are you any wiser on the throttling of bandwidth by Irish ISPs on usenet. Do you know if they do it by ports??

Thanks,
    M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

Mmmm delicious necrotizing thread fasciitis....thread is ~3 years old perhaps PM the OP.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement