Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Lost LockNut Key

Options
  • 08-12-2006 5:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭

Managed to loose the lock nut key form my alloys any ideas

PS I have one of the lock nuts off three stuck on and I want them off not pushed on whether they come of in one peice. Car is a volvo s60 02 I called one dealer and was told no chance and was quoated for 3.5 hours labour.
    Lock Smith ???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Similar post a few weeks back that might be of use to you > http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055006037&referrerid=&highlight=lock+nuts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭DanR

I waited until my car was being serviced and the tyres needed to be replaced and they did it as part of the service. I know thats not a quick solution for you but it worked for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭$Leon$

If they are the genuine Volvo lock nuts a main Volvo dealer should have a master set. Pop into a Volvo dealer. Tell them you lost your lock nut key. They should get the kit find out with number it is and get the parts dept to order a new key for you if they don't have one to match yours in stock.
    The 3.5hrs they quoted was probably to have them broken off. I've seen it done and it takes ages. Chances are they'd damage the wheels as well.

$Leon$ wrote:
    If they are the genuine Volvo lock nuts a main Volvo dealer should have a master set. Pop into a Volvo dealer. Tell them you lost your lock nut key. They should get the kit find out with number it is and get the parts dept to order a new key for you if they don't have one to match yours in stock.
    The 3.5hrs they quoted was probably to have them broken off. I've seen it done and it takes ages. Chances are they'd damage the wheels as well.
    I spoke to a Volvo dealer earlier after seeing this post - apparently they have to be broken/cut/beaten off as there is no records kept of the codes for the stud keys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭$Leon$

crosstownk wrote:
    I spoke to a Volvo dealer earlier after seeing this post - apparently they have to be broken/cut/beaten off as there is no records kept of the codes for the stud keys.

Presumed they'd operate like the VW's where the dealer has a kit of about 20 or so and you just keep going till you find the right one then order it off the parts dept.

• Advertisement

$Leon$ wrote:
    Presumed they'd operate like the VW's where the dealer has a kit of about 20 or so and you just keep going till you find the right one then order it off the parts dept.
    Nope - I would have thought that that would have been the case too. I used to work in a VW dealer and we supplied replacement stud keys on a regular basis.

A problem arises when someone orders alloy wheels that are not factory fitted and a lock stud set is also ordered - usually by the salesman from a local supplier - not from the factory. But, in any event, in the case of a Volvo there is no record kept - irrespective of whether or not the lock stud set is a genuine Volvo part or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

crosstownk wrote:

Thanks for verifying that , I have come to the following , my bro in law is a mechanical engineer and will drill them out only thing was to find a drill bit of 14mm for a normal drill 14.99 (as this bit has to have a tapered end to fit)in a hw shop but took some finding. Now I have to wait till monday to get the replacement nuts from the dealer but have another number for a place in Donegal as the nuts are not standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

If you can find out the dealership the car originated from, they might have the lock stud number on file.
    If not, get 4 x 19mm (12 sided) sockets (like this - http://www.drapertools-online.com/b2c/b2citmdsp.pgm?pp_skmno=00682) from your motor factors. Then tap them on to the lock nut with a hammer, taking care not to damage alloy. Use a breaker bar to loosen them off. At this point, you should know you're gonna have to throw the studs away!
    Picture above is just to show you what to get - try get 1/2" sockets and breaker bar if you can.

I'm only after noticing your last post after I posted this! If you can get a socket that will be tight enough when tapped on, it should remove it. I worked in a volvo dealership for 2 years and the method above is what we used to remove studs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭MAYPOP

Car Fit on the Naas Road beside Lillis O'Donnell Ford will be able to remove them. 01 4591591

Most decent tyre fitters will remove them - they encounter this sort of problem regularly.

• Advertisement
Advertisement