Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

help with replacing p4 cpu

Options
  • 08-12-2006 5:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭

hi. wondering if anyone can help me with this. i recently bought a second hand cpu from a fella from adverts. i was looking to upgrade my current 2Ghz p4 with a 2.4Ghz one. so i took out my existing cpu and replaced it with the new one, but when i powered up the computer, all that happened was that the fans came on, but the computer didn't boot. there was no beep from the mobo but it appeared that there was power to the fans etc. the hard drives didn't boot, i didn't get to the bios screen, the monitor didn't even detect any source.

not really sure what the story is here. the mobo i am using is a jetway i401r socket 478. not sure what other info is required here to sort out the problem. anyways, i would appreciate any help at all on this.

by the way, i put back my original cpu and the comp is workin fine now.

cheers,
    pinky.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

Make sure that the Bios is set to autodetect/autoconfigure the CPU. You might need to clear the bios before booting with the new one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Check your mobo can run the new chip. Some are very limited. Also your psu may not be enough, worth checking that too. But, as the previous poster suggests, start with the bios, make sure you have the latest version.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

What bus speed in the P4 2.4 ghz?

Is 400mhz or 533?

Your mobo is only rated for 400mhz afaik

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭pinksoir

yeah. never did anything with the bios. shall try that next. as far as the bus speed on the 2.4? i dunno. never asked when i bought it. and i have no documentation. er...uberpixie, i think you are right about the mobo too. i checked it in everest and the front side bus is something like 403mhz...

cheers anyways. i shall update you on how i get on...

so i had a look on the bios site, and did a check of my current bios. it says that my motherboard and chipset and all is capable of 2.4ghz cpu.

however, when i restarted and enterered the bios section, there was no option to set the bios to autodetect the cpu. any ideas?

i'm pretty wary about the fact that i have no idea of the cache size or speed of the 2.4 ghz cpu though. and have no way to check...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

You can identify the type of the CPU the P4 is with Intel's Processor Finder.

Check the metal cap on the CPU for a marking this is called the sSPec number and looks something like this SL6WF which is a P4 2.4Ghz - note your sSPec code may be different there was more than one type of 2.4Ghz P4 during it's lifetime.

You said your current bios supports 2.4Ghz P4's but if there is a bios update for your motherboard flash it as it may not have the ID for the type of P4 you have (assuming it's even compatible with your board).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭DanGerMus

Hey i dont know if this is against the rules but i just upgraded from a socket 478 p4 2.4ghz. i still have the mobo and CPU and i'd be willing to flog em cheap. say 50€ +p&p they are in perfect working order accept for the USB ports but i'd through in a USB2.0 card with em which i've been using without problem. not exactly a solution but it would do the trick.

yeah, i'd definitely be interested. veeeery interested. what sort of ram does the board take?
    actually, if you could give me a link to the mobo that'd be great.
    i'll be away til sunday evening, but i'd take it off you next week...

thanks a million,
    pinky.

Advertisement