Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring rolls splitting in fryer

• 08-12-2006 5:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    I've been frying up spring rolls lately and found they tend to split in the fryer. I can see the air inside expand when I drop them in the hot oil, forming a bubble in the pastry which grows and eventually bursts, spilling the filling into the oil and leaving me with a gorgeous, crispy, empty tube.

Anyone any idea why this is happening to me? What do I need to do to stop it?

I've been putting them straight from the fridge into the oil - it just occurred to me, would they be less likely to split if I brought them to room temperature first?

Cheers for any help,
    Bruce

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭rockbeer

Oops - apologies for the double post. Damn connection dropped mid-send. Can the mods remove one of these identical threads please?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

Not sure about the temperature issue, but the problem is the air pocket left in the spring roll, maybe if you let them defrost and try to massage the air pocket out.
    That's all I can think of really, and it's pretty drastic.
    Same will happen to raviolis if you dont seal the pocket nice and tight into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

rockbeer wrote:
    Hi all,
    I've been frying up spring rolls lately and found they tend to split in the fryer. I can see the air inside expand when I drop them in the hot oil, forming a bubble in the pastry which grows and eventually bursts, spilling the filling into the oil and leaving me with a gorgeous, crispy, empty tube.

Anyone any idea why this is happening to me? What do I need to do to stop it?

I've been putting them straight from the fridge into the oil - it just occurred to me, would they be less likely to split if I brought them to room temperature first?

Cheers for any help,
    Bruce
    are they home made?

Thanks everyone for the help so far.
    county wrote:
    are they home made?

Oops, perhaps I should have been clearer. Yes, they're home made, using that thin stretchy frozen (defrosted, obviously) wheat pastry round a gingery potato filling. I try to get as much air out as possible when I roll them up, but it doesn't seem to make any difference.

Cheers,
    Bruce

Ok so they are home made, all I can suggest then is that you try to work more air out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

what temp are you frying them at ?

Thaedydal wrote:
    what temp are you frying them at ?

Tried at a variety of temps from 150 up to 180. Doesn't seem to make all that much difference. Cooler is perhaps slightly better but not enough to be significant.

Tried another batch today, rolled them really tight and worked as much air out as humanly possible... also used less filling and made them a bit thinner, so more layers of pastry around the filling for extra reinforcement... results: much improved... perhaps this is the trick.

Cheers,
    Bruce

Nice one, glad that they're improving for you.

Like I said before it's the same with Raviolis, you also need to massage the air out of them when making them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Powerpuff

I know this is an odd first post but I have been a lurker for a long time, he he...

Right, this a part of what I do for living so hopefully i can help out.
    I dont know what size your spring rolls are but when we're frying them at work we cook the tiny ones frozen, the big ones are not frozen but have more layers of pastry...

Store them in the freezer after you've rolled them and if they're not too big this should work. We fry at 165-170 degrees btw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I would try par cooking them, put them in, the second they start to bubble up/grow take them out. I would expect the air would makes its way out and the oil would still be cooking the flour making it hard so it wont expand so much, then pop it back down

• Advertisement
Advertisement