Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help! Quick reply needed

Options
  • 08-12-2006 5:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭

Am trying to hand in a project that was due last Fri at 4:30. Arrived at Economics depart at 4:15 today and everyone is gone. There is a sign that says that they are open till 5. Am I going to lose another 10% because these gits decided to take an early day?

Comments

Might be worthwhile e-mailing the lecturer? Sooner rather then later I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

Run to the post office and registered post it. It'll be date marked today, it'll arrive on monday, and they can't penalise you for losing another week. Post Office is on ground level in the Library, before you go downstairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Thanks Blush.
    I register posted it (it cost me 4:50:mad: , so I hope it works)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Call in to the office on Monday morning and tell them it's coming registered, to be sure.

I will. Thanks for the advice.
    I can't believe that they left at least 45 mins early.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭Stargal

The only thing I can think of is that maybe it was the departmental Christmas party and they all left early for it? Doesn't really matter what the reason was anyway, that's pretty bad form.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭Tan Princess

You've obviously never been to the dept before if you're surprised. They are always unhelpful like that. I'm not at all surprised the secretaries left early.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Chakar

Well looks like Blush saved the day!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

That's ingenious...or however it is that's spelled...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Certain department Christmas parties were on yesterday, yes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 356 ✭✭dirtydress

Same with the Philosophy Department apparantely, i have a friend who had an essay due on Friday and the office was locked up early. Not much use to you now but he went down to the student advisers and spoke to a guy there who told him to slip it under the door with a note attached saying that he would vouch for the essay being there on time. Pretty poor of the departments to close up early if essays are still due that day, especially final years.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

The Dept could take the view, something posted on Friday, won't arrive on Friday so it will always be late. So they might still deduct the marks. Email them anway.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

The package should have a time-stamp as well as a date stamp, so it can be shown that the work was completed and ready to be handed in before the deadline.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

True, I was thinking more the location factor. Will it have the UCD post office i.d. on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

The package should have a time-stamp as well as a date stamp, so it can be shown that the work was completed and ready to be handed in before the deadline.
    I think it was already a week late... or am I reading wrongly?

It was a week late, I didn't want to lose another 10%.

I've never been a believer in the philosophy that, it's late anyway, why not go the whole hog
    EDIT: Chakar, I would hav hd to be giving it in next Friday for that to be a problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Chakar

That was close because I think after two weeks they don't accept assignments.

Sangre wrote:
    The Dept could take the view, something posted on Friday, won't arrive on Friday so it will always be late. So they might still deduct the marks. Email them anway.

If essays are due outside of term, or are being handed in outside of term postage as long as it is date stamped is acceptable. They could take the above view, but then they could also have stayed in the office until the official closing time, or they could have done plenty of other things. It's mainly in place for people who're not from Dublin who may not be in Dublin to hand in their essay on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

If it's due on or before 16.30 on a Friday, then I would have assumed that's when it should be received in the Dept.

I fail to see how showing you posted on Friday means a thing. It will probably arrive on Monday - it was due Friday = late.

In any case, I doubt the letter would have been time/date stamped before 16.30 on Friday.

I would had said explaining to the lecturer involved that the Dept closed earlier than advertised, so you were unfairly denied a chance to meet the deadline. If this didn't suffice, then take it higher.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Young Siward

Mate you'll be fine. I've had the same happen to me in the economics department. They always seem to shut up shop early on Friday.

Fair play for going to all that bother, all I did was shove it under the door with a brief note saying it was on time etc. If there's any probs, drop into Rodney Thom, and he'll just wave you away telling you they really couldn't give a **** (or more eloquent words to that effect).

• Advertisement

cast_iron wrote:
    If it's due on or before 16.30 on a Friday, then I would have assumed that's when it should be received in the Dept.

I fail to see how showing you posted on Friday means a thing. It will probably arrive on Monday - it was due Friday = late.

In any case, I doubt the letter would have been time/date stamped before 16.30 on Friday.

I would had said explaining to the lecturer involved that the Dept closed earlier than advertised, so you were unfairly denied a chance to meet the deadline. If this didn't suffice, then take it higher.

Are you blind?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

Blush_01 wrote:
    Are you blind?
    Yes, so perhaps you could explain yourself in an audio recording (along with the text).

Just to finish this off, and let everyone know what happened (for posterity). Just in case someone asks this question next year, and our local fountain of knowledge, Blush_01, has moved on to greener pastures.
    They accepted my project with absolutely no problem. The lecturer never e-mailed me back, but I asked her during the exam, and she said it was grand.
    So, thank you to Blush, and to everyone else who constructively replied, you helped me through what would otherwise been an awful headache. I never would have thought of register mailing it.

Advertisement