Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cuba, buy buy buy...

Options
  • 08-12-2006 5:45pm

...okay so you may not be able to at the moment, but have your wallets ready for when that old bearded coot passes away and the sanctions relax.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

I already have an option on a fine beach near an international airport in the SE of Cuba. Bring it on compadres .

Yeah? How does one get an option? I'll help you build a beach bar.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Add my name to the list too.....
    Given that half the Cuban expats in Florida are liable to shoot anyone who tries to buy property there, even after Castro kicks the bucket- I'd suggest investing in some Kevlar clothing before viewing any property purchases.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭homeOwner

and what makes you think that after castro dies, a communist regieme wont continue under one of his cronies.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

homeOwner wrote:
    and what makes you think that after castro dies, a communist regieme wont continue under one of his cronies.
    Most likely cos everyone there is looking towards building ties with the US, to bring Cuba out of poverty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

the_syco wrote:
    Most likely cos everyone there is looking towards building ties with the US, to bring Cuba out of poverty.
    Are you sure?

Raul Castro (from wikipedia)
    ....he is also considered to be a political hardliner who will maintain the Communist Party of Cuba's political power. It is speculated that he favours a variant of the current Chinese political and economic model for Cuba.[5]

Several commentators, including some authors of The Wall Street Journal, call Castro "uncharismatic and widely feared," with a "cold efficien[t]" style. He is accused of the persecution of dissidents and homosexuals.[2]

If the Cubans were so enamored with the US, don't you think they'd have overthrown Castro by now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭homeOwner

the_syco wrote:

Its not the ordinary person on the street who has a choice in how cuba is run, its the army and the current leaders who will decide what happens when castro dies. I cant imagine he hasnt thought of this and got a line of succession in place that will keep his ideals going strong even after Raul is dead.

When I was there about 4 years ago most of the people I spoke to were fiercly nationalistic and very much against the US having anything to do with their country. They dont necessarily like everything about the current regeime (although getting anyone to say anything bad about castro is impossible) and lots want to leave to escape poverty, they are not ok with things going back to the way they were 30 years ago under a US puppet regeime. I think they will be looking more to Europe than the US to help them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

...okay so you may not be able to at the moment, but have your wallets ready for when that old bearded coot passes away and the sanctions relax.

I'm going there next week, I'll warn them that a bunch of Rich Irish property drones are waiting off shore....

Makes me puke

egan007 wrote:
    Makes me puke

Travel?

Don't bother going then.

Investing in property?

Don't bother looking at 'Cuba, buy buy buy' threads on a Property forum then...

You can't get sick on begrudgery alone, surely?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Drax

Travel?

Don't bother going then.
    Investing in property?
    Don't bother looking at 'Cuba, buy buy buy' threads on a Property forum then...
    You can't get sick on begrudgery alone, surely?

Egan007 does have a point. This country has become obsessed with property. "Where's the next target that where we can get out grubby little hands on more property."

• Advertisement

Drax wrote:
    This country has become obsessed with property.

Are you really surprised that everyone on a property and accomodation forum is obsessed with property? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Drax

Are you really surprised that everyone on a property and accomodation forum is obsessed with property? :D

Hahaha... good point Conor....doh! I meant it as a general statement... friends, family, media.... all talking about property....

Advertisement