Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

trouble getting .NET 2 app to work on shared hosting

Options
  • 08-12-2006 6:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I just made a basic site with Visual Web Developer 2005. Im only using this so i can use master pages for templates. I asked hosting365 to make the folder an application which they did for me in minutes but im getting a runtime error when i try and view a page in the folder.

Any ideas ?, its probably somethig very straightforward.

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,819 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

what error?

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭stakey

They are probably running a medium trust policy or a customised policy that may be affecting how your .net 2.0 application is working. Best thing is to work within there policies (they're there for your protection too) or if your application needs extra permissions to pop a mail off to there support section looking to see if you can get them assigned.

Other than that, if it's an application error, it's gotta be an old fashioned 'what's your error?' question....

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭grahamor

Thanks for the replies,

I did alot of research on google and i think it's the medium trust policy thing you mentioned. I just logged a ticket with hosting 365 to see if they will change the trust for the site to full (i doubt they will). I dont think mySQL will run on .NET 2.0 with medium trust which is incredibly annoying.

If anyone knows any solutions for getting mySQL to work with .NET 2.0 under medium trust than i would greatly appreciate it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

Do they not offer database services? Or are you trying to install your own database and run it?

Alternatively, would it be possible to use SQLite as your database? This may or may not be possible depending on how you use your database. So long as you don't high loads with lots of database editing/adding then SQLite should perform at least equal to other databases.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

If you post the error message we'll have a much better idea of what's wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭grahamor

The only error message im getting is Security Exception, thats it !

basically im using MySQL.data.dll to connect to mySQL through asp.net.

Everything was working fine on framework 1.1 but now its on 2.0 and its all gone wrong.

Ill wait to hear back from hosting 365, ill post an update then.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I don't know if this is of any use, but I've found with H365 that you have to specifically request that a folder be changed to an ASP.Net 2.0 application, rather than a 1.1 version.

Quickest way to test this is to upload a simple 2.0 page that just outputs the date or something. This will quickly tell you if the folder can process 2.0 pages.

Advertisement